Read this poem, and then tell me what you think its about and who wrote it.

Kiama

Upon a darkened night,
the flame of love was burning in my breast,
And by a latern bright,
I fled my house while all in quiet rest.
Shrouded by the night,
and by the secret star I quickly fled.
The veil concealed my eyes
While all within lay quiet as the dead.

Oh night thou was my guide
Oh night more loving than the rising un
Oh night that joined the lover to the beloved one,
Transfoming each of them into the other.

Upon that misty night
in secrecy, beyond such mortal sight,
Without a guide or light,
than that which burned so deeply in my heart.
That fire 'twas led me on
And shone more brightly than the midday sun,
To where he waited still,
It was a place where no-one else would come.

Oh night, thou was my guide.
Oh night more loving than the rising sun,
Trasforming each of them into the other.

Within my pounding heart
which kept itself entirely for him,
He fell into his sleep,
beneath the cedars all my love I gave.
From o'er the fortress walls,
the wind would brush his hair against his brow,
And with its smoothest hand,
carressed my every sense it would allow.

Oh night thou was my guide,
Oh night more loving than the rising sun,
Transforming each of them into the other.

I lost myself to him,
and laid my face upon my lover's breast.
And care and grief grew dim,
as in the morning mist became the light.
There they dimmed amongst the lilies fair....

Go on, tell me what you think the poem's about. (Fans of Loreena McKennut, please don't spoil it for the others! BTW: It wasn't McKennit who wrote it.

Answer coming shortly, when you guys have guessed!

Kiama

purplelady

I haven't a clue who wrote it , but I Really like it!

aciddragon

I with the purplelady on this one. I don't have a clue and yes it is very good. It's been ages ago that I took English and even then I didn't really pay attention. I never could write poems so I just started disliking them when I was in school. It wasn't til a few yrs ago that I started to apprecate them.

amyel

Well, K - you won't let me guess who worte it (but I already know, being a McKennitt fan...good Canadian gal that she is...).

As to what it's about....hmmm...tend to focus on the instruments and tune so much I never really tried to "decipher" the lyrics.

I will await your interpretation....

cayacia

I've got half a mind to get on her site and check, but I havn't heard this one of hers before .... I don't think. I would take a wild guess and say Alfred Lord Tennyson....but I know I'm wrong. I only relate her to him because she did The Lady of Shalott as a song and I freaked out when I found out it was a poem and then proceeded to do a research poem on the author. :D yes I am a dork.

Ramses

Hey Kiama...

I don?t know why, but for a moment I had the feeling that you were the one who wrote it...but, I may be wrong...I don?t know...

Please , don?t kill us with curiosity...tell us ...lol...

Ramses

Oh, Kiama...I know that you write poems too (don?t you?)

So, why don?t you post one of your poems , some day?...I?d love to read one...

Kiama

Ramses: Yes, I write poety, but if I wrote a poem that good I would definitely be a very rich person! No, I didn't write it.

I'll tell you who wrote it: St John of the Cross, a famous Christian mystic.

Its actually not about any love fling or virginity loss or anything! Its about a mystical experience that St John of the Cross had. 'He' in the poem is God, and 'me' is St John. The union-like theme outlines the basic feature of a religious experience, but emphasises the part about feeling 'at one' with the Divine...

I just thought it was amazing that such a poem, which I thought was about a girl and her realtionship with a man, was actually religious, and about joining with God.

This led me on to thinkig actually, sexual union is very much ike religious/spiritual union, if done properly and with the one you love. Certainly when I had a spiritual expereince, it was very sexual in its feel.... Not erotic or rude, but it made me feel the same as I feel when making love.

And I had another thought: Union with God really must be like the ultimate orgasm. Cuz, an orgasm is a 'little pleasure' as is chocolate, achivement, and having a good time. But times them all by infinity, and you've got the feeling of union with the Divine! (Suddenly, everyone wants to be at one with their god!)

There, just a thought train for you. Any thoughts about the link between sex and the Divine?

Kiama

Malachite

Ah!
so THATS why people shout 'Oh God'!....

Btw....nuns are the 'brides' of Christ...
I wonder what his dad thinks of that?

Malachite

truthsayer

i wish i could remember what i read about it but there are schools of spirituality/religion that link it to sexual experiences. i could almost swear it was in one of the celestine prophesy series by james redfield but i'm not certain... i think tantric sex is one of those schools of thought. anyone know?