Reading while Drunk

Have you read the Tarot Cards while drunk?

• Yes I have and never again

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • No, you nuts???

Votes: 100 54.3%
  • "Hiccup"....Sure whatever...taking another swig, shot, whatever floats your boat*

Votes: 51 27.7%
  • On the floor....cards scattered everywhere.....

Votes: 15 8.2%

• Total voters

Julien

I don't think I've ever read while drunk, though I've often read while drinking a glass of wine. I do think when I'm relaxed -- whatever it takes to relax -- I can see the cards better, if you know what I mean -- I perceive more. But there comes a point where alcohol makes me toooooo talkative. I think it turns me into the Knight of Swords or something, and that just doesn't do when reading. So I wouldn't drink sozzled, but I might have a glass of wine while reading...

And, if the cards are on the floor, and you have to pick them up in a new order, then I do believe that's shuffling (of some kind)... ;)

Julien

bladeraven

lol...have we just invented a new method of shuffling...get as drunk as you can..THEN deal the cards...

An interesting thought came to mind when you mention, Julien, about being talkative...it would be so difficult when sozzled to mind one's words if something negative came up in the reading.....

Kinda like it's difficult when you're in a bar or pub, and you're plastered and you accidently mentioned to your SO and everyone else some deep dark secret you really didn't want anyone to know....yeah guys..that's how I came out of the broomcloset with an ex of mine.......the guy sobered up really fast...looked at me and went...hmm...methinks you've had to much to drink..."No!!"...Lol..course there was the time when me and my SO came back from a pub after I had way too many Guinness...we were on the freeway, bit of traffic...he was in the middle lane...I hadn't had anything to eat at all that night which isn't a smart move if one is going to have pint after pint of Guiness followed with St.Murphey and wellllllllllll............................

Oh...did I ever mention I'm only 5 foot 2 and weigh 95 lbs and half vietnamese which means I'm darned in the first place since being asian it's hard enough to tolerate alcohol (my younger brother is half vietnamese..my older brother is full vietnamese-wasn't adopted, from my mom's other marriage and they both can't handle alcohol..why I can without a reaction (my brothers turn red and get sick from half a cup of anything alcoholic) I have no idea unless it's the fact that I must have received most of the Irish genes from my dad's side and it skipped my younger brother....Lol).

tarotbear

Not going to use the poll, but I think a (that means ONE) glass of wine before doing the readings is not a bad idea.

However, I'm a scotch drinker ... :smoker:

Umbrae

jmd said:
A pot of coffee on the stove is different to having sufficient caffeine flowing through one's veins so that one's whole being becomes ADHD-like.)

Dude! For starters, some of us are ADD and/or ADHD. Coffee slows us down. …Makes us more like you.

I echo Kiama on this one. For me – Tarot is such a part of my life, it really does not matter what my exact state is – I read. I’ve read tipsy, and I’ve read falling down in your own puke drunk. It’s usually the same.

Years ago (anybody remember the 70’s?), I was known to read with very strange chemical combinations raging throughout my cranial cavity, (Either acidic or alkaloid depending on if it was Wednesday or Thursday), with excellent results (according to non-chemically imbalanced people present at that time).

However – there comes a point, either from the constant ingestion of compounds which place the system chemically out of balance, or from the mental changes brought about by having a system consistently chemically out of balance – where you just can’t read anymore. Then an overall internal/external cleaning is mandated, and lifestyle changes would be in order.

bladeraven

Umbrae..it's called getting old....LOL.

I wonder..if you're falling down drunk in your own puke...does the cards break the fall??

Milfoil

Well, I don't drink coffee (allergic) or tea (yuk), so all thats left is water, squash and alcohol. We have a glass or two of wine with a meal and I've read both sober, drunk, and everywhere in inbetween etc etc.

I don't make a habit of reading drunk or getting drunk (bit daft really and a waste of money) but I've found no difference to the outcome of the reading.

I don't read for money and so thats not an issue (though I would never condone working whilst under the influence whatever you do) but I have no reason to believe that there is any problem with the actual reading. Alcohol does seem to actually open you up though as do other drugs. Nobody needs it but it chills you very quickly . . . . .

bladeraven

was looking at the poll..taking another swing seems to be gaining on "No, you're nuts"

WolfSpirit

Hey, you're the one who put the "you nuts" there ;)
I was happy to vote just "no" (simply, because that's the answer) but that is not possible.

TheoMo

I've read for myself drunk at times -- not often, but when I get home after a night of some serious imbibing I've pulled out the cards once or twice to see what they say. At the time, they don't make any sense, lol, but I'll write them down and then look at them in the morning. For me, at least, alcohol doesn't seem to make much of a difference. In the spirit of science, however, I suppose the only way to really find this out would be to make up some experiment where one reader gets totally messed and up and does a reading, someone else does one sober, and then the querent has to decide which one he thinks is sober and which one is drunk, lol. I would be happy to participate if someone wants to actually do this (purely in the interest of science, of course).

On a slightly related note, whenever I've been hungover, my daily card (I use the Thoth to pull daily cards) for that day is almost always the 6 of wands. I can't explain it.