Rota Taro Orat Tora BOTA

Tarot Orat

Another BOTA coloring thread....inspired by the wonderful examples of LRichard and treedog, I started my own journey through this remarkable deck.

My problem going in was my ginormous Prismacolor pencil collection: I have the 150 pencil set, along with the 72, several 24s, and specialty sets. If I just used whatever ones I wanted, I would never get a consistent look. I decided to restrict myself to one or two pencils for each of the colors, and selected this list:
Blonde: Goldenrod (PC1034)
Blue: Copenhagen Blue (PC906)
Blue-Green: Aquamarine Blue (PC905)
Brass: Bronze (PC1028)
Brown: Sienna Brown (PC945)
Citrine: Yellow Chartreuse and Chartreuse (PC1004)
Copper: Henna (PC1031)
Flesh: Peach and Beige Sienna (PC939 and PC1080)
Gold: Metallic Gold (PC950)
Green: Grass Green (PC 909)
Grey: Cool Gray 50% (PC1063)
Indigo: Indigo Blue (PC 901)
Orange: Orange (PC918)
Red: Crimson Red (PC924)
Red-Orange: Poppy Red (PC922)
Silver: Silver (PC949)
Steel: Slate Gray (PC936)
Violet: Violet (PC932)
White: White and Cream (PC938 and PC914)
Yellow: Canary Yellow (PC916)

I've almost finished the Fool and I'll post it tonight. (I had lost one of the pencils I wanted to use for the flesh colors, looked for it for a week, and finally decided to pick a new color.)

Thanks to LRichard and treedog for encouraging me to begin this project! I look forward to your company :)

treedog

I've almost finished the Fool and I'll post it tonight.

Excellent! Your decision to narrow your color range seems very wise, Abby. Especially since color itself is an archetype, and the GD folks seem to be very keen on this. The redundancy of colors has begun to make a little sense to me. Perhaps we always assign "meaning" on some level, but it's interesting to consider colors more consciously.

Looking forward to the debut of your Fool :)

treedog

Are you doing alright?

Richard

How's the project going, Tarot Orat? If you need another whack at the BOTA, I've found a place where the price and postage is cheap. Email me.

I think a limited palette of colors gives better color harmony.

I'm going to try doing the BOTA Majors again, using regular watercolors. I :heart: watercolor. Here is my watercolor impression of Loneliness:

Attachments

• loneliness.jpg
    loneliness.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 216

Tarot Orat

I am all right! Thank you for checking in on me :heart: - I appreciate it. I've just been sooooooooo busy and stressed out the past few weeks, and haven't been online much. I'm still working my way through the cards and I'm going to MAKE myself take some photos today. (I'm always overly picky about how photos of artwork turn out.)

LRichard, your watercolor is AMAZING. I am great with pencil drawing, not bad at oil painting, but watercolor is completely beyond me! I'm super impressed!

Tarot Orat

The Fool - I'm not entirely happy with what I did but I'm telling myself to be happy with the result! (Mostly, I got too enthusiastic with the green on the left arm and colored the inner garment instead of leaving it white.)

Attachments

• bota-trumps-00.jpg
    bota-trumps-00.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 235

Richard

The Fool - I'm not entirely happy with what I did but I'm telling myself to be happy with the result! (Mostly, I got too enthusiastic with the green on the left arm and colored the inner garment instead of leaving it white.)
Looks great! I think I colored the left arm too, originally. No real harm done.

treedog

The Fool... and colored the inner garment instead of leaving it white.)

Wow, that's wonderful! Love the shading on the earth and detail of the wallet. And a little extra Empress/Venus, on the left sleeve no doubt. There really are no mistakes.

PS. Are these the larger sized cards?

treedog

LRichard;3558643I'm going to try doing the BOTA Majors again said:
Your use of watercolors is quite something. Way to go! I look forward to seeing your new work with the Majors. Have you, or have you considered, designing your own deck?

I have 4 BOTA cards remaining to color. At a later date I may want to color the larger Trumps as well, but no hurry now.

Tarot Orat

Wow, that's wonderful! Love the shading on the earth and detail of the wallet. And a little extra Empress/Venus, on the left sleeve no doubt. There really are no mistakes.

PS. Are these the larger sized cards?

Thank you! I love your interpretation of that extra green, I feel much better about it now.

Yes, these are the larger sized cards. I wasn't sure I could get enough detail on the smaller ones. I admit there is a lot of background to cover at this size, I've worn my yellow pencil down several inches!