Self-portrait in your deck?

temperlyne

I was just wondering if any of you deck creators put a more or less obvious self portrait in your deck.
The lovers was the first card I painted and since it was a valentines gift to my lover, it portrays us both.
Do more creators do this? or do you know of any examples of published decks? I think it would be very intersting to see how the artists portrayed themselves in the realm of tarot.

Sidhe-Ra

I haven't put one in mine so far, but I have a deck called 'Ancestral paths' and 'The Fool' looks very much like its a self portrait by the artist- actually its a really interesting deck!

baba-prague

Nice question. We've never portrayed ourselves - although in Tarot of Prague we do show exactly where we live - but I'm not saying on which card!

I think Kiama said that her God Tarot shows a self-portrait in The Lovers card, but maybe she can say more.

Chronata

My title card in the Midnight Masquerade is a self-portrait of me...in an outfit I would really like to wear someday! :)

Attachments

• MMTitle2.jpg
    MMTitle2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 150

Arcana

I used a photograph of myself for "The Fool" in the deck I made for my own personal use. This particular photograph is very dear to me, it's one where I was about three of four years old. I included it because creating this deck was something of a journey to me, like the Journey of the Fool. And it's worked really well for me!

truelighth

Sidhe-Ra said:
I haven't put one in mine so far, but I have a deck called 'Ancestral paths' and 'The Fool' looks very much like its a self portrait by the artist- actually its a really interesting deck!

The 'Fool' in the Ancestral Path Tarot it actually not a portrait of the artist, but of Tracy Hoover, author of the companion book for the deck. However, the High Priestess and Empress in the same deck are actually modelled after the artist Julie Cuccia-Watts herself.

mythos

What a great idea! I haven't done it though, but the idea is now planted. Mind you, my last self-portrait had a friend ask 'Whose the guy in the painting?" I am female. Okay so my hair was half a centrimetre long at the time, but really ... :grin:!

mythos:)

zachlost

Self Portraits

I can be found in the Swords and Pentacles Suit of my deck :)

I didn't set out to put myself in there, but some of the images I drew I extracted from lasting feelings/emotions/experiences in my life. The rest of the desk usually contains aspects or parts of one self. It always makes me laugh when I read of others telling how blunt and direct the cards are, because that is how I am in real life :)

gollog

hi Temperlyne,

Scapini pictured himself in his medieval scapini deck. I believe it was the eight of pentacles, where his is a painter painting the pentacles, and his wife and baby are there as well. And also on the death card it was I think, as a head floating in the water. Pretty grose.

And of course dali pictured himself as the emperor and the magician in his deck. His wife si the empress.

Gollog

The 78th Fool

I appear on my deck as the Fool.
Chris. xx

Attachments

• fool.jpg
    fool.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 124