She got the Ace of Cups and her husband died

osami2717

It's been a while but I have a question.

My twin sister pulled the Ace of Cups as her card of the day, Monday.
Her day at work went well she was recognized for her good work with some gift cards.
It was her day to spend the night with us [she lives kind of far away and I only get to see her once a week so we go to the library, grab dinner and watch movies/talk etc till the wee hours].

Long story short, her husband wasn't answering the phone like he always does. She got worried and called her stepson and asked if he could check up on him. Turns out he'd had a massive heart attack and died...

How the hell is THIS the ace of cups????

From my understanding it is a card about beginnings of love, new emotions the chance of spiritual/emotional growth or rebirth... I can almost see it when I distance myself...but then I remember that she just lost her husband and is completely devastated. How can I tell her that this is a good thing??

Any shred of insight would be welcome in this trying time...

Thank you.

laurence

Hi!

Sorry about this sad situation.

I am now beware of the Ace of cups because It sometimes turns up to describe a very emotional situation, being good or bad. Do you use the Rider Waite? On this card, there is usually a flow of water that can represent many tears. That could explain why this card showed up this day.

Alta

I would never see in advance from the Ace of Cups that her dearest person would die. But like laurence I also see the Ace of Cups sometimes as so much emotion that it just overflows. But that is hindsight indeed.

AnemoneRosie

I'm wary of Aces (and I pulled one yesterday as my daily, so). As the raw seed of the suit they are that suit at full capacity. So yesterday my ace was a wand. It was a day full of every time of passion and excitement. Some good, some bad. At some point there was joy and rejoicing and other moments nearly ended in fisticuffs. That's because all suits encompass both the good and the downside of life and the Aces even more so as they're not tempered by anything else (like numerology). It's just pure unbridled energy at its limit which happens to be beyond a human's capacity to fully comprehend.

So all of the feelings that come with life and the end of life - they are all emotions. They would all tie into that Ace. Now it just so happens that events like that don't happen every day so we sort of forget that the full capacity of the suit is just that big. But it is.

I wish you, and her, and her family nothing but good things for a while. Things are hard enough right now.

zannamarie

My sympathies to your sister. I'm sure finding out that kind of news was quite traumatic although the fact she had your full support right there with her when she needed it most is a blessing. (at least I would think it's a blessing --perhaps she had an ace up her sleeve by having you there when she got the news?)

I personally don't think one card is going to tell me about everything in my day. I used to pull a card a day for several years when I first started tarot. There were some days I never did figure out what in my life it related to. Some days it seemed to relate to something I considered major in the day and some days it was something I felt was relatively inconsequential.

To me it sounds like she had quite a delightful day at work. Gift cards could very well be the start of a new love not only in the feeling of them being received, but also on whatever your sister might use them. And if she wasn't expecting them ahead of time then the Ace is most appropriate.

Then she had a great evening with you. I think the bulk of her day did relate well with an Ace of Cups. While the very end of her day was quite traumatic, that represented only a small portion of her Monday and she had you there to help her through it.

Whether or not the card did relate to the news about the death or should have related to the news about the death really relates to what her intentions and expectations of her card of the day were. From my experience one card never tells me about my whole day and often does not even tell me about what my hindsight indicates was most important about my day. The short, simple answer to how does the ace relate to her husband's death may be that it doesn't relate to it.

tarot_quest

Hi osami2717

First, I am really sad to hear your story :(

My guess is that the ace of cups means 2 things here:

1) cups are related to emotions, so to speak, to the heart. So it makes sens with the heart attack. But why wasn't this card reversed?

2) I feel that this card was upright because it was a last goodbye from her husband. Like a way to say, ''I love you'' even if I have to go away

I hope that you are doing well and your sister too despite what happened

Frater Benedict

If the card had been reversed, the meaning of it in the continental tradition would have been 'A change will occur'. Such change is not always for the better. Then, of course, the cards are not always right. I am sorry for her loss. May he rest in peace.

gregory

I am so sorry for your loss.

But on the most BASIC level, it could be simply that the card was about HER day - which apparently went well - not his. Ghastly though this is - it wasn't your sister who died.

Still - yes to the overflowing emotion, though - and the huge amount of love.

Girl Archer

Firstly I am sorry for your sister's loss and hope that she be blessed with strength and grace in these hard times.

Now as for Ace of cups, my belief is that you cannot contain all the goings- on of a day in just one card. However setting aside my personal belief, it depends on what deck you used. RWS could indicate a peaceful, painless passing and a general outpouring of love that despite it all, everything is going to be okay :) If you take the Tarot of Sweet Twilight, it actually has a skeleton etched on the cup, meaning something has to come to and end for something new to be born :) With the druidcraft deck, it is a huge outpouring of emotion. So much emotion can be overwhelming. You see the good (the good will and gifts from people) and then, the not so good.

But yes, this card is not generally one would connect immediately with someone passing on.

My condolences to you and your whole family, stay strong! :)

Mystica7

My condolences...

The Ace of Cups has nothing to do with the death of your sister's husband.

Yes the card has an element of overflowing emotions, but here, Tarot simply didn't reveal the death of her husband. Instead, it gave her the positive and an accurate picture (which came true) of her day, as a single DAY card. In short, Tarot only showed you the bright side for a higher reason which is good.

Looking from a *different* perspective and on a further note, I appreciate that any Tarot card can actually mean anything, depending on the context, and a context which we don't have the knowledge of. Tarot is arcane, it's occult, and it musn't be taken light-heartedly or at face value.

We have the traditional meanings and everything, but Tarot is ever revealing. Since it's a vehicle which *still* shows/mirrors us the forces that we may not be aware of consciously... Hence, even quite an experienced reader is better off not thinking/saying that he/she mastered the Tarot, ironically if she ever wants to master it *at all*.

I can't help but getting scared here and feel in awe, of the universe, which works in strange ways... I do my best to assume an attitude of "being ok", no matter what happens, otherwise it would be really hard to cope with things -which may be revealed by Tarot- if *I* don't have any control over them. One must play with the cards if they wish, but in full awareness that they play with which is not a toy.