Should I crochet a set of Tarot Bags?

SharonS

StellarMyst said:
I was wondering what the community thought about Crochet Tarot Bags for long-term use?

This would be done in a yarn weight of - if not merely close to - that used for beadspreads, and coasters that are kind-of elegant-looking - as opposed to using a *fuzzy* type of yarn...?

I think this would be fun to design and make. It might last a long time like well-made antique crochet-type workings do...?
I have crocheted several bags for my decks that I use and they are holding up very well. One that I crocheted with regular medium has stretched some, so might stay away from that. I have crocheted some with a roll of ribbon(not wide cause that would be hard to hook obviously) and they turned out really nice, an interesting look. They are holding up really well and not stretching because of the ribbon. Something you may want to try for fun. I wouldn't use fuzzy yarn, most of it is based on thin thread and snaps easily.
Good Luck:) Go for it and have fun!

~SharonS

celticnoodle

missycab said:
I like to crochet tarot bags. It's simple and nice! I used some wool I had at home.

Here's a picture:

raffle.jpg

Your bags are lovely Lillie! :thumbsup: Good idea... fillet crochet... (at home we have all the curtains made of fillet crochet, made by my grandma or my mom)
very pretty missycab. now, i can only hope my turns out as nice as yours and lillies. I was even thinking, gee, maybe I should make them big enough to also carry their book in, so as to keep the book and deck together always too. but, gee, that may get a bit harder keeping them all together then. maybe i'll try that for one deck and book set to see how it works out.

StellarMyst

zannamarie said:
I would think it would hold up as well as the yarn would hold up.

I crocheted a bag with the fine cotton yarn and it seemed like it took forever to do and I believe I used a double crochet stitch (which should have been a bit faster). Because the yarn is so thin, I used a very small hook.

I've made two other bags since then and I've used regular weight yarn and an afgan hook and the bags were completed much faster. :laugh:

I had also knitted one of the finer yarn (and it took forever too), but it seemed too stretchy to me and I didn't like it so I tossed it. The afgan stitch is more like crocheting so it's not so stretchy.

As for taking forever to do:

Perhaps this would be a good time/situation to design a bag that flows with the theme of the deck it is made for? Personally, I love long things... Tarot readings, long discussion threads here on AT, projects, books, and anything that inspires the soul to soar above the confines of bland expectation...Suppose during this process, one were to meditate upon that which the deck inspires us to become intrigued of...?

For instance:

The Llewellyn deck is my favourite one for Past Life readings, and family spreads

The Zerner-farber I use for depth of the cards and meditations to help deepen understanding of the cards of any deck in general. It just seems to have some really good *trigger-words* for personal, in-depth analysis of the tarot - I am not sure I am able to put that in words any other way...!? ;)

The Gilded I use for understanding my dreams, and for anything that would provoke such thought as the memory of my dreams...

The RWS: Basic, *raw* Tarot understanding and study

Fenestra: Romance-related readings for others...relationship readings...insight on the Tarot Court...inspiration-related questions...any other miscellaneous insights...

I have dabbled a bit with the Afghan/Fabric stiches too. I think this is a good idea.

I think you are right about the issue of a stretchy bag. This would drive me up the wall too! lol ;)

Blessings,

StellarMyst

StellarMyst

Debra said:
Crocheting in that fine pearl cotton is a dying art. Do it! If it doesn't suit your deck, you can use it for jewelry or odds and ends in your purse or drawer.

I used to use the finest thread to crochet lace borders on handkerchiefs. They sold linen handkerchiefs with small holes around the border for that purpose--those were the days.

I agree. It does seem to be quite rare a thing to come across these days! How difficult is it to do the lacework? I thought about doing a lace border for something unrelated to little bags, hankies & such...?

StellarMyst

inanna_tarot said:
Crochet is like some magical power to me. Ive tried and I just can't get it to work. Everytime I try to do something I feel I should have another hook to do it lol.

I'm a knitter and I think that for the while I'll stick to it. I've got a book and watched various you-tube videos on crocheting but it still confounds me and the hook n yarn gets thrown across the room more often than not!

I've knitted little tarot bags, using DK and 4ply and they feel lovely. Especially if you use 4ply as its all soft and squishy like sock yarn. mmmm sock yarn.

It was almost a s daunting to me, but I persisted with patience and I found myself plotting eons of projects! lol :D I keep finding things to do with it, and I have been fortunate in that my neighbours are into crocheting too! hehe! We've been helping eachother learn new things about the art, and therefore, coming up with good ways to help others by making things people need around the neighbourhood - be they fellow-crocheters, or individuals in need of a blanket, or bag, et cetera... ;)

I have not gotten into knitting yet though. I think my bf would get a bit scared if I did! He's not one I want to scare away! hehehe! ...*happy thoughts* crossing the mind...plot! plot! plot! hehe!

He said he'd give some thought to my crocheting things like bags & such for him! Needless to say, this threw me off quite a bit! lol

the_surfacer

I've crocheted and knitted lots of deck bags, and I used size 10 thread to make a lace border for my spread cloth. The bags hold up nicely, and the decks haven't complained. ;)

Lace is time-consuming, but once you've adjusted to working with such a small hook, it's just like regular crocheting, I find.

StellarMyst

ribbitcat said:
I prefer fancy stuff - so anything in, say, multi-colored, or a gold or silver metallic crochet yarn would be good :) How does this retain its shape, or does crochet yarn just end up squooshed ...if you see what I mean ?

ribbitcat

ditto...;)

StellarMyst

celticnoodle said:
Oh Lilllie! they are lovely! I think this is a great idea too, Stellamyst, and wonder why I didn't think of that myself!

I'm not a great crocheter, but I'm better at that then I am sewing, really. So, you gave me a great idea & I'm going to go out and purchase some yarn for just this idea! :)

Thanks celtic! :D

I'm ok with either myself. I do enjoy the process of creating anything by hand like these allow one to do. It seems to give a bit more than a sense of accomplishment. Like you, I'll run out and get supplies to jump head-long into a project once the idea has crossed my path via suggestion...:) :D

StellarMyst

missycab said:
I like to crochet tarot bags. It's simple and nice! I used some wool I had at home.

Here's a picture:

raffle.jpg

Your bags are lovely Lillie! :thumbsup: Good idea... fillet crochet... (at home we have all the curtains made of fillet crochet, made by my grandma or my mom)

I like the pink/rose & white together missycab!

What's in the center of the 3 things in the picture?