Show your stuff!

MCsea

wumpkie said:
I'm glad his face didn't melt off (ah, the wonders of CD markers.)

I also took these pictures of my Labradorite in the snow,

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/wumpkie/DSCN3600.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/wumpkie/DSCN3601.jpg

I was just wondering if the snow would have any charge or cleansing powers if I left them there for a little while?

OMG!
I admit I looked at the pics and didnt read your message - and I GOT the SNOW cleansing energy then was about to post about it - and THEN read what you had said
I think YES the snow is definately cleansing your crystals - wow powerfully too
(ok sure care needs to be taken not to put a 'melting' crystal in the snow - chemically that is)

Labradorite is named after a country in the snow - thats how the crystal form chose to be born if you like with that Labrador energy..

what a wonderful photo and what a fantastic discovery!

MARINA

wumpkie

I have to admit I was just drawn to putting the crystals in the snow especially the Labradorite. I was just looking online after the mention of the origins of the crystal and I can see how it is all connected and I think I just had an epiphany :D I looked on this webpage and found this information http://www.dandennis.com/labradorite.htm

I found this quote there: 'Certain species of labradorite have the ability to show various intensities of color in the same gem, and this phenomena is known as “labradoresence”.' Arguably I knew this anyway, but the more I read into the origins I figured out why I always thought 'northern lights' when I saw the crystal. Also where the crystal was first discovered was in Canada (though the yellow variety is found in Russia) and it all makes sense.

So all of this has brought me in closer to the inner world of crystals. I love the snow and I love Labradorite and I now have a greater understanding why this is the case.

Sorry I rambled...:)

Elnor

That is a lovely piece of labradorite, Wumpkie- I'm sure it enjoyed being in the snow... as did Mr. Pebble.

elnor

HearthCricket

I love mini-spheres. I have some golden calcite, aquamarine, aqua aura and rose quartz, and some tiny smokey quartz ones. But I want some nice amethyst and clear quartz ones, too, and anything else shiny or interesting that comes my way! Here are some of my mini-spheres! The fey seem to love them!!

fina

morticia monroe said:

I'm not into magic crystals, but I'm a geologist and love rocks. I'm pretty sure this sample is sphalerite not garnet... Sphalerite has a composition of (Zn,Fe)S, but the Fe usually makes it opaque and black. Red sphalerite (Ruby Jack) would have more Zn and less Fe. You would be able to tell by gently scratching and smelling; if it smells of sulphur its sphalerite. Also, garnet is harder and would not scratch as easily. And the matrix is most likely calcite.

Not to be pretentious, but I spent the last 4.5 years studying rocks. I could be wrong, its difficult to tell sometimes from pictures. If anyone has questions about their samples, I'd be more than willing to help. Again, not trying to be pretentious, I love rocks too. Just for different reasons. Just tell me there's nothing amazing (dare I say magical) about the kind of pressure and temperature needed to create ecologite or the beauty of impurities that turn boring corundum into brilliant ruby. :)

Debra

That's very kind of you, fina.

morticia monroe

Fina,

I don't think you're pretentious at all,,,as the saying goes "It aint bragging if you can really do it" :)

I totally appreciate your post, and it got me to wondering,,, I tried the scratch and sniff, but I don't smell anything, and the stones are too hard to really get a good "scratching of'...but I do want to know...so I'll take it somewhere to have it looked at.

I'll be happy with either one,,sphalerite or garnet. Like yourself, I love them simply for the beauty and wonder, richness of color, shape, design, and variety...It IS amazing, isn't it?

*singing* And I think to myself, "What a wonderful world'' :)

As a complete and total novice on rock identification, any and all input will always be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

Blessings.

HearthCricket

Hi Fina!

I am thrilled we have a geologist amongst us! Believe me, we will be depending upon you for many an identification! Welcome to the forum, BTW!