spiritual tattoos...

kayne

*This is probably something I could have posted in 'Chat' but as it no longer exists this seemed the next best spot...*

I am interested in getting a tattoo with pagan/spiritual significance but that is not too... 'cleched'. I want something different and have the artistic abilities to adapt it to suit me, however, I would love some ideas... Links to relative sites would be useful too :)

Thanks all...

Kiama

There are lots of beautiful Celtic designs around, which are also simple. The Triple Goddess for example, the Triple Spiral, a Circle or Brighid, the Hammer of Scathach, Sword of Nuada, etc...

How about a Tarot card? I've seen an English Pagan who has a HUGE Ace of Cups on her left arm. Its colourful, large, and beautiful.

Other than that, I have no ideas!

Kiama

Talisman

Gee, Kayne,

Once, on a writing assignment, I rode with a motorcycle gang (this is in the USA) from Massachusetts to Connecticut. It was a funeral run, in honor of the memory of a gang member who'd been spread over about a half-mile of highway. (May his road paste rest in peace.)

The gang was named "The Outlaws," sort of an east coast version of the Hells Angels.

Anyway, I rode on a Harley (motorcycle) behind one of the leaders, a guy called "Fly." Tears in my eyes and regrets in my heart, I clung to Fly when we went around corners at about 120 miles per hour -- on the wrong side of the highway.

If you could have peeled me off of his back, you could have read his T-shirt, which said something like this: "If you can read this, means the bitch fell off."

My photographer, unfortunately, drew an even more reckless rider to ride behind. I think he is still in a catatonic state.

Eventually, my editor got me and the catatonic photographer out of jail. I won an award for my subsequent story.

(You think I'm gonna share any credit with the editor? Read my comments on Tarotbear. The writer always gets the credit.)

Anyway, to get to the point, "Fly" was called Fly 'cause he had the most realistic tattoo of a fly on his nose you could ever imagine. Just lookin' at him made you want to swat him in the face with a fly swatter. 'Cept he'd probably rip you into small pieces and eat you.

Anyway, gets my vote as the best tattoo I've ever seen.

Talisman

Kiama

Talisman: ROFLMAO!!! WOW! I'm gonna print that off and keep it just so I can read it whenever I want a laugh.

Here's a funny tatoo story abot my boyf's friend. This guy was reasonably inebriated, and decided how incredibly cool it would be if he carved the word 'Psycho' into his arm with a razor blade. When he woke up the next morning, he found that he now had a permanent scar that read, 'Pyscho'.... :-D

He also has a t-shirt that he's quite fond of, which reads 'Stand back and watch how a real psycho does it.' He doesn't wear it quite as much now though... Ah well.

;p

Kiama

kayne

LOL :-D Great stories both of you :) I don't really know if a fly on my nose or 'pyscho' is really "me" though... :-D

raeanne

Hi,
I am not pagan by faith, so I don't really know what would be considered a pagan symbol. I have seen some beautiful Cetic knots that would make good tattoos. Also, if you are interested in Viking history, how about Thor's hammer? Isn't there a pagan symbol that is a thorn bush and a vine intertwined? Or, how about a sword and chalise. Are there specific qualities that you want to identify with such as justice, strength, nature, freedom, etc. The three pentagrams that are on the Rider-Waite 3 of Pectacles card would look kind of nice as a tattoo. Oh gee, I'm just rambling here so I'd better shut up. :)

New River

Talisman's story reminded me of the years i lived with a group of bikers called the Banditos, down in texas.

these guys had some of the most beautiful tattoos i've ever seen. a golden challis spilling flowers was my favorite.

oooh, i still remember clinging to the back of my friend Turkey as we took those same curves going just as fast as Talisman described. i remember the smell of the ground as i kissed it when we stopped vibrating! and picking the bugs out of my hair........which made that fly tattoo even funnier!

let us know if you get a tat, okay, kayne?

love, light and hope, New River

slinky_jo

Hey Kayne

My cousin and I were going to get a tattoo together when she came to visit me in NZ (hadn't seen in her in 10 years). Unfortunately, she couldn't make it. But I searched the Web for cool tattoo's. I just typed the words "celtic tattoo" or "pagan tattoo" in the web search, and came up with heaps of awesome sites with incredible and spiritual tattoos. My computer crashed soon after that, so I lost the cookies (or whatever you call them!).

Hope this helps!!

Rhiannon

A long, LOOOOONG time ago we had a post on "Which card would you get as a tattoo?" The answers were really cool. Perhaps I'll dig through the archives to see if I can find it.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a new tattoo of one of my totem animals. Probably a crow on my left ankle, maybe a coyote on my right ankle. So hard to decide.

I have also considered having one of Amy Brown's drawings adapted to a tattoo, hers are mostly of faeries. Or maybe one of Brian & Wendy Froud's faeries. If you're not familiar with their work... see the Faerie's Oracle or go watch the movie "The Dark Crystal".

Or perhaps one of Hrana Janto's or Lisa Hunt's Goddesses......

Rhiannon :)

kayne

Thanks for mentioning that Rhiannon :)

I have not been able to get the idea out of my head since reading it :) The Fool was the first one that popped into my head - I love that card and everything it represents... I think that would make an excellent tattoo :) Does anyone know of any sites that show many Fool cards? (Like that 100 Chariots site...)