Star

re-pete-a

If one takes the symbols present on the card at surface value only, we see,a tree on a hill (higher than), the tree(knowledge<or life),theres a bird in that tree,(a life) stars in the day sky(brighter than daylight),woman naked(un hidden,natural),pouring water on water and land,(giving, caring)...........These things are present now,in front of you...........Makes for some interesting food for thought...............clever little peanuts,weren't they.......they knew how to keep curious beavers off the streets and in their dens,occupied, for the long cold seasons.

HoneyBea

re-pete-a said:
If one takes the symbols present on the card at surface value only, we see,a tree on a hill (higher than), the tree(knowledge<or life),theres a bird in that tree,(a life) stars in the day sky(brighter than daylight),woman naked(un hidden,natural),pouring water on water and land,(giving, caring)...........These things are present now,in front of you...........Makes for some interesting food for thought...............clever little peanuts,weren't they.......they knew how to keep curious beavers off the streets and in their dens,occupied, for the long cold seasons.

Well you know I guess that is the thing about symbols, they speak differently to each of us :)

Personally for me I like to try and see what Waite and Smith were getting at, rather than just giving totally my own interpretation - part of studying these cards for me, and I say this is totally personal to me, is to try and understand what the creators were trying to say, given that they were both members of the OGD and Pixie with her theatrical background - its quite a mix - sometimes, I feel Waite has not done justice to Pixie's illustrations and there is a lot more involved than he says. *lol*

This is a deck that can take a life time to study I have no doubt ;)

HoneyBea

re-pete-a said:
Honeybea.....Yes,Yes,Yes,.........especially the last bit,LOL, ....Not sure of your meaning,we take it as lots of love........regardless ,Yes.!!!

Always meant in the nicest way - just trying to clarify how I feel about the cards that's all - I think we all approach study in different ways, that doesn't mean one way is better than another - just that the way we choose is right for ourselves - I always see value in what others have to say - it is by this diversity that we learn and allow ourselves to see things from different perspectives :heart:

~ HoneyBea ~ :)

Teheuti

Personally speaking, in the Tarot History & Iconography board, I expect a more historical and factual approach to discussing the cards (though not rigidly so). Purely personal opinions about a card are discussed freely in the Using or Talking Tarot sections. Not that there are hard lines but, when talking about the history or iconography of the RWS deck, I think that in this board we're looking for more demonstrable sources of the symbols and their meanings then we do in the "Using Tarot" board. I enjoy a little bit of the personal here, because it is such a rich story-telling deck. But, in my opinion, this is secondary to what can be substantiated. I don't think it's out of place, in this board, to ask for evidence or substantiation of material we present. A personal insight can always be identified as such. Standard symbolic meanings are a part of iconography, but it's worthwhile considering whether these can be supported as intentional in the creating of the deck. Please correct me if I am totally off base in my thoughts about this section of the forum.

Mary

Alta

Moderator note:

I have removed some off topic posts from the discussion.

Marion
Moderator, RWS Forum

Elnor

I have read somewhere that the bird in the tree is an ibis, which is usually associated with Isis; and I also found quite a bit of evidence on sites about ancient Egypt saying that the brightest star, (Sirius, the Dog Star) is symbolic of her as well.

http://starryskies.com/articles/2003/08/isis.html

elnor

re-pete-a

Tehueti...in our understanding this deck was hand drawn,if so then all on these cards were intentional,and had meanings.we all know artists, and we all know that they deliberately fill in their blanks purposefully.Your comments are received and acknowledged by us,they are thought provoking,and cause us to self examine , we thank you for your input.

Teheuti

Elnor said:
I have read somewhere that the bird in the tree is an ibis, which is usually associated with Isis
Actually the ibis is most often associated with Thoth, who is depicted with the head of an ibis. His counterpart Seshat, neter of writing, libraries and measurement is depicted with a headpiece that may be either a star or a flower.

Here's a picture that I took of both of them at Abydos:

Attachments

• Seshat&Thoth.jpg
    Seshat&Thoth.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 120

HoneyBea

Interesting photo Mary, I see what you mean about the headpiece it could indeed be a star or a flower :)

Teheuti

Here's a picture of Hathor/Isis at the entrance to the birth chamber at Dendara - with a 5-pointed star over her head. The picture of Seshat looks a little more like the Star card to me.

Mary

Attachments

• Star-Isis:Hathor.jpg
    Star-Isis:Hathor.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 121