Tarot and Black Death

Yatima

Just to make that clear: Of course, this was meant humorous! What else...

And right, this is half an argument, Huck; the three girls, you were pushing often in some threads (especially on Star, Moon, Sun) is not "Siegergeschichte". Stil it is history of people that could afford to "have a history": that's what I meant.

Ross, Benjamin was a philosopher, but no Marxist (in any orthodox sense); and what he brought into discussion was taken up by history methodology: to unearth the peoples history...

And, Namedev, (PS---self-contradicting?), I don't have anything againt the girls, Huck might like...:)))

Yatima

Namadev

Yatima said:
Just to make that clear: Of course, this was meant humorous! What else...

And, Namedev, (PS---self-contradicting?), I don't have anything againt the girls, Huck might like...:)))

Yatima

Hi,

Black-humour and black-death associated, why not, Yatima?

Sef-contradicting? No, contingent only...

Alain

Yatima

Well, Namadev, self-contradicting, because I was talking about the three girls that, Huck thinks (consistently in itself, though), have caused the origination of the Tarot; you were talking of ...hm...something else in your PS, but were refusing it for my reference to this Tarot-girls by presupposing, I could have meant something else... (what I haven't)

Nevertheless, I do strongly believe that the three-girl-Tarot-origination-theory offers a part of Tarot's history (which can still be read because of the court-books), but is not the real or oldest or earliest (back)ground for Tarot's appearance, which I would suppose to include others actions, like confraternities, like the guild of cardmakers, like traders, like the combination of pictures of saints and game-making, and so on...

And Ross has named one of the reasons I believe he is wrong:

Not just the rich could know of the triumph-ideas, also the educated, but not just the humanists. The card-makers were in place about 70 years before 1450, they produced not just for the rich and they did so despite the prohibitions. (Think of Rodrigo Borges, described as “pintor y naipero”, painter of cards, and as the earliest named card-maker in 1380 France.) And becoming rich as traders, they—as middle-class—sent their children to university (while many court-figures had money but no education). This is the possible class that had education to know what could be done… I think they are involved in an early stage of the appearance of the game.

The idea of trumps arose probably with the Karnöffel-game in Germany. It was not a game for the courts but somehow an irony on the rivals between Guelphs and Ghibellines—related by the Devil…It was played by other classes than the courts…

The cartas figuratas et pictas ad imagines et figuras sanctorum where in place already 1395..a basis for “cartes figuratas ad imagines triumphorum”, I guess…

And further, when the Michelino-deck is considered as an early triumphi-game, than the appearance of the later Tarot-subjects can well have come in to existence without at first having been named this way; I remember the early difference made between listing “ung jeu de quartes sarrasines and unes quartes de Lombardie, listed 1408 by the court of the Duke and Duchess of Orleans. Might the quartes de Lombardie hgave been a precursor of the trumps?

Courts (like the Ferranese court) not just commissioned cards but just bought them.

Finally, think again of this marvellous story that, as Bernard preached at the church of San Petronio, Bologna, against playing, a card-maker who was present and heard the denunciations even against those persons who supplied the obnoxious article, exclaimed: "I have not learned, father, any other business than that of painting cards, and if you deprive me of that, you deprive me of life and my destitute family of the means of earning a subsistence." To this the Saint replied, "If you do not know what to paint, paint this figure, and you will never have cause to repent having done so", and showed the card-maker the figure of a radiant sun, having in the centre the sacred monogram I.H.S. Why not consider this as the birth of the Sun-card? Or as the theme of the trumps as such: Life, Death, Judgment (ass in the Bembo-14). Why not see it as the birth of the idea to produce a combined card-set for repentance and gaming (thereby excepting this “game” from being unholy)?

Yatima

Ross G Caldwell

Yatima said:
like confraternities, like the guild of cardmakers, like traders, like the combination of pictures of saints and game-making, and so on...

I look forward to seeing what you discover when you begin researching this area. It is quite a broad and complex task you have set yourself.

Personally, I start with the cards and the documents that mention them, and work outward from there. So far I haven't bumped into any confraternities or even guilds of cardmakers connected to the *trionfi* cards, but if I do I'll compare notes with you.

Ross G Caldwell

Yatima said:

And Ross has named one of the reasons I believe he is wrong:

Not just the rich could know of the triumph-ideas, also the educated, but not just the humanists. The card-makers were in place about 70 years before 1450, they produced not just for the rich and they did so despite the prohibitions. (Think of Rodrigo Borges, described as “pintor y naipero”, painter of cards, and as the earliest named card-maker in 1380 France.) And becoming rich as traders, they—as middle-class—sent their children to university (while many court-figures had money but no education). This is the possible class that had education to know what could be done… I think they are involved in an early stage of the appearance of the game.

OK, name some people besides the rich and famous who talked about triumphs in the years before 1450.

You didn't seem to get the distinction I made in my post between Trionfi cards and regular cards - "Nobody else talks about these cards, and nobody else is interested in triumphs, but these rich people. I have not been able to glean any suggestion of a popular standard deck of trionfi cards outside of the courts from the evidence - prohibitions, records, and the surviving cards. There just isn't any hint that *trionfi* cards were in the hands of anybody else. Lots of other cards yes, lots of other kinds of pictures, yes - but not these ones."

Of course regular cards existed, and cheap decks existed. But nothing indicates that *trionfi* decks were cheaply made by these same people until much later.

Why do you think that the emerging middle class had something to do with the appearance of the game?

Ross G Caldwell

Yatima said:

Finally, think again of this marvellous story that, as Bernard preached at the church of San Petronio, Bologna, against playing, a card-maker who was present and heard the denunciations even against those persons who supplied the obnoxious article, exclaimed: "I have not learned, father, any other business than that of painting cards, and if you deprive me of that, you deprive me of life and my destitute family of the means of earning a subsistence." To this the Saint replied, "If you do not know what to paint, paint this figure, and you will never have cause to repent having done so", and showed the card-maker the figure of a radiant sun, having in the centre the sacred monogram I.H.S. Why not consider this as the birth of the Sun-card? Or as the theme of the trumps as such: Life, Death, Judgment (ass in the Bembo-14). Why not see it as the birth of the idea to produce a combined card-set for repentance and gaming (thereby excepting this “game” from being unholy)?

Yatima

Do you have any evidence that such a thing as "a combined card-set for repentance and gaming" ever existed, or even would be conceived? Everything I have read leads me to believe that the Church and secular authorities were very wary of games, since they lead to so much disorder.

But if you think trionfi is different, can you show me where somebody uses it for both "repentance and gaming"?

Ross G Caldwell

A question of methodology

Master the known and work out into the unknown. Documents and cards, use them to lead your research. Delicate, painstaking, and slow - it is a careful archeology, this history.

Don't stab wildly around the 15th century, hoping to hit tarot. We know where it is, and we are working outward, backward. We are not looking for a needle in a haystack - we know where the needle is. What we are trying to recreate is how it got exactly where it is, without disturbing any of the hay around it, which tells the tale. Each piece leads to another. But it takes mastery, time, reflection to let the facts tell their story, and give hints as to where else to look.

Just master the known first, and use all your enthusiasm and energy to go out with a purpose and a plan into the unknown. Otherwise you will simply become lost in the mass of information you will find for the 14th and 15th centuries. Constant reflection, and returning to the sources again and again, is the way forward.

Namadev

Yatima said:
Well, Namadev, self-contradicting, because I was talking about the three girls that, Huck thinks (consistently in itself, though), have caused the origination of the Tarot; you were talking of ...hm...something else in your PS, but were refusing it for my reference to this Tarot-girls by presupposing, I could have meant something else... (what I haven't)

Hi,

If you say so, I will take your word for it.

Communication is sometimes difficult and, it's true, I understand your iniyial statement, as a "bubonic grin"...

Alain
PS
Fièvre bubonique typical of black death

Yatima

Ross wrote:
"Do you have any evidence that such a thing as "a combined card-set for repentance and gaming" ever existed, or even would be conceived? Everything I have read leads me to believe that the Church and secular authorities were very wary of games, since they lead to so much disorder.
But if you think trionfi is different, can you show me where somebody uses it for both "repentance and gaming"?"

Well, yes, I can: It is before our nose, the Tarot itself! Look at the Bembo-14. I have developed arguments for the apocalyptic and repentance background here and in the Star, Moon, Sun-thread. We see the “end” of the 14 trumps in Death and Resurrection. Both related to Black Death, repentance, apocalyptic issues. And finally the World as New Jerusalem (I have given extensive evidence of the iconographical, literal and liturgical background “present” at the time of the invention of the Tarot in the XXI- Le Monde-thread). So, yes, the Tarot is such a combination.

The fact that only "court-cards" have survived does by no mean that this was the first appearance of such a “combination” as we see in the Bembo-14. It was due to the documentary situation that mostly or exclusively courts and Church-institutions had interest in documentation.

But we know better:

* Although the first printed sheets found might be dated from around 1500, we know of printing at the beginning of the 15th century. We have also the note of the printing press from 1436 in Ferrara.

* Card-makes and –traders were present from the 1380s on. And they painted and printed cards obviously in a mass production; nothing that the court has initiated or even wanted. Prohibitions show just that people played anyway. So, cards were produces anyway. Not at and for the courts!

* Many of the early notes on card-games at the courts do not talk of “invention” or “production” but of buying and searching for cards. They know of cards played and aquired them! That’s all. Than, the began to reproduce them in fine editions, exclusively for them alone. Even one of the early Ferrara notes on the trionfi from 1442 suggests this. Francesco Sforza’s letter from 1450 also does not invent but just search for cards – were? At cardmakers of course: And they have produced cards in different qualities, obviously.

* Physically, cardmakers and traders had only to add about 22 cards to produce a Tarot-game. Where is the problem? Courts got notice of them. The Michelino-deck is not an counter-argument, because it had not the Bembo-subjects, but gods. And it was named triumphal only 1449. But Marcello named it a “new kind” of trionfi. So maybe there were already 1424 another Tarot-decks like the Bembo-14, but not at the court (or not produced or even invented by the court.

* Aristocrats with education = not per se creativeness! The “creative” people were the artists (most of them anonymous today, but still existent), not court figures or aristocrats (from Bembo to Leonardo da Vinci). Traders, on the other hand, were communicators; they got the fresh ideas first…It is natural that they included them into their assortment.

* We know that cardmakers and traders also made and sold a wide variety of other pictures and figures such as that of saints (from a note already from 1395). It is only natural that they could add some cards to a pack when they wanted to create other games. That we don’t know of them may be coused by the possibility that we don’t know the names they used; think of the early named Lombardian cards from 1408—do you know what they were?

* We know of the first game with trumps as NOT originated NOR produced at the court, the Karnöffel, but only acquired by it (to be produced than by order of the court: Imperatori). This was also a game which was quite subversive, but it had central figures of the Tarot: Pope, Emperor and Devil. It is quite natural to develop on this idea. Why should not a cardmaker and trader, getting the game from Germany, begin to evolve the idea of trumps, even on existing trumps. This also seems quite natural.

* The courts were not isolated from other social spheres. There were always personnel present at the court. There were the universities—meeting-points between social ranks. Traders could become quite rich and sent their youth to study at the universities. They mingled. So it is possible that courts took up ideas, at least from there interest in gaming by looking at what’s new…

There is enough information to follow this trait further. And I am not alone in just encouiguing people to research in this direction. O’Neill’s studies are essential here. Also the new 2004 book of Paul Huson! Have a look at it! That one concentrates on court-studies, is not bad in itself, but certainly insufficient. It is a narrowing of the focus. One begins to loose the wider reality by looking just at courts and their aristocratic figures, just because they had some records others had not. This is again looking at history only at the incidental facts that were created by the powerful and wealthy…

I would not let from this but seek other traits, too. If you look at social history methodology today (and this was the merit of Benjamin and his “Geschichtsphilosophische Thesen”) you will learn that we have to try to read feudal facts against their grain, reading the many, many people behind the few aristocrats stated in the documents…).

Yatima

Ross G Caldwell

Yatima said:
Ross wrote:
"But if you think trionfi is different, can you show me where somebody uses it for both "repentance and gaming"?"

Well, yes, I can: It is before our nose, the Tarot itself! Look at the Bembo-14. I have developed arguments for the apocalyptic and repentance background here and in the Star, Moon, Sun-thread. We see the “end” of the 14 trumps in Death and Resurrection. Both related to Black Death, repentance, apocalyptic issues. And finally the World as New Jerusalem (I have given extensive evidence of the iconographical, literal and liturgical background “present” at the time of the invention of the Tarot in the XXI- Le Monde-thread). So, yes, the Tarot is such a combination.

This argument is a perfect example of begging the question, or circular reasoning. I asked for *historical* evidence of somebody actually, really using it for repentance and gaming. You appealed instead to your own arguments - not evidence, but interpretation. It is circular reasoning. You are essentially saying "Tarot itself is evidence of my interpretion of the meaning of the Tarot".
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

I know of games being used to illustrate moral principles, leading one to consider the exercise of virtue, etc., but not "repentance." Very different things.

Your other arguments appeal strongly to ignorance. This also is considered a logical fallacy -
http://www.uky.edu/~rosdatte/phi120/lesson8a.htm

"10. Appeal to Ignorance - One of the premises admits that nothing is known about a subject and then the conclusion purports to assert definitely something one way or the other about the subject, on the basis of this ignorance."

I don't need you to remind me of the fragmentary, accidental, and biased nature of the historical record. But instead of jumping to the conclusion that this somehow positively *favours* another theory, the evidence as it actually stands has to be weighed and considered.

There is simply no *reason* to think the trionfi cards were printed first, then adapted. Only the firm *belief* - the hope and wish - that it was so, can make you go for this option. Then you "support" this wish with the note that since nothing is known of these cards, it must be because of the bias of the sources. You then attempt a circumstantial argument, based on the fact that printed cards - regular decks - were known, then the same people must have *first* invented trionfi cards. Each unknown leads to a new unknown, until you have an argument based on three or four levels of appealing to ignorance.

You absolutely must first master the evidence as it is, rather than sweeping it away as irrelevant because rich people are an anomaly. Evidence is evidence - you can't take it or leave it. You have to take it. For all its worth - which can be considerable, even from biased sources.

What does the evidence say? You often forget the force of the statutes of permitted and prohibited games, which are some of the only indications we get of what "common" people were doing. The prohibitions are directed at current and popular games, to regulate them.

The fact is, Triumphs is not mentioned, either to prohibit or permit, until 1450 - *while a lot of other games are mentioned well before this time.* When Triumphs appears finally, as a *permitted* game, it is mentioned *alongside* these other games.

So what are your options with this data? Poor common folk couldn't write about what games they were playing, but these lawmakers did do us a favour by noting some of the games they played.

Either Triumphs existed popularly enough to be noted, or it did not, before 1450.

The simplest explanation is that it did not. It was limited to the households of some wealthy people, where lawmakers didn't take any notice of it. This is my opinion. This opinion is strengthened by the absence of any printed trionfi cards, or any evidence of their use outside of this circle, during or before the 1440s. A strong case, I would say.

I could add that it is not only the simplest argument, it is also not contradicted by anything. It makes sense of all the data, and all their implications. It is, in other words, a *sound* theory.

On the other hand, you can play with the idea that Triumphs did exist in a sort of popular form before 1450.

It was not noted by anybody who took interest in popular games. Note that we are trying to find evidence of popular habits, from the statutes, so that we are avoiding the argument that we can't know anything about the poor people's playing habits. This is one way we can actually try to *learn* something about common people, rather than claim bias all the time, and then go about guessing.

What are your options with this thought-experiment? If it existed as "triumphs", it slipped through the radar one way or another.

However, we know that everybody who saw it - rich people, who were used to luxury - were astonished by their beauty - even an apparently regular pack. How can we explain such a game escaping notice by common people, who are much more likely to be impressed by beauty? If this is only because rich people made luxury editions, how is it that the rich chose to take a crude prototype that nobody in the street cared about, and turn it into such an object of wonder? So it seems unlikely that a crude, unnotable prototype of "triumphs" was circulating. I could add that the name "triumphs" would be innappropriate to a crude deck, since a triumph is a glorious thing. The crude decks we know are all tarocchis and tarots, and come from a later period than our triumphs.

If triumphs existed popularly before 1450, they were unregulated, while other games were regulated. This seems hard to believe, given the novelty of the pack, and the fact that it is named as permitted the first time it appears in a statute. The game was never banned, so it also seems hard to believe that before 1450 it was banned in Milan or Florence, and hence was not mentioned by name, merely falling under the rubric for "cards."

So from one of the few places that might actually shed some light on popular practices, it appears that trionfi cards did not exist. The game continued to be associated with the wealthy classes until popular printed versions appear, later in the century.

This is the consensus, and it happens to be my opinion as well.