tarot beliefs

Lillie

I read in front of the TV.
Almost always.

Sometimes I think it helps.
All that yapping in the background helps drown out the bit of my mind that over analyses things.
Then that lets the inspiration through.

gregory

Lillie said:
Almost always.

All that yapping in the background helps drown out the bit of my mind that over analyses things.
That is a good reason for my doing it... Thanks !

It even makes sense; being deaf with tinnitus, "white" noise helps; I usually have something on in the way of sound to drown it all out !

Crowqueen

Lillie said:
Almost always.

Have you ever thought that the TV acts as a kind of oracle, i.e. that the programme you are watching is in some way relevant to the reading itself?

gregory

Crowqueen said:
Have you ever thought that the TV acts as a kind of oracle, i.e. that the programme you are watching is in some way relevant to the reading itself?
Given some of the stuff I "watch" - I certainly hope not.............

Liralen

Crowqueen said:

Oh, that's interesting. I've always wanted to use TV as an oracle, just like books in bibliomancy, but somehow I've never got round to actually doing it.
Have you ever tried it? Do you think it could work?

Crowqueen

Since I hardly watch "normal" TV at all (prefer DVDs or stuff on satellite), I know that if I walk in on something like a news programme that it means something, even if it is to gauge the political "temperature". I got depressed with the amount of (verifiable) lies even the BBC spouts and decided that the media would only tell me the truth. Since I am trying to get to the bottom of politics, what better wish to ask of Spirit?!

Sometimes you have to listen to the detail of the programme to get the message. The mention of the town Llanelli is a good omen for me for let us say personal political reasons (e.g. on bus timetables, people talking about it, my healer is originally from there), and once there was a programme where they were discussing - completely at random on a non-political show - how to pronounce it. I took that as a favourable discussion. For other more general TV, I don't find it ties in, but I suppose if say my lucky number comes up or I decide to try and test my divination powers, then it can be divinatory in function. Like the time I saw a number 4 and decided that the next numeral to come up - as a picture - would be a 7 (47, you see). It was :): it was a broadcast with subtitles, so the 7 was part of a date (October 7th).

As regards cards - I would find it a bit distracting to be honest, as I need to concentrate on what I'm doing, but I have often used TV as "wallpaper" noise to while away an afternoon working on my art, and since that could be classed as a form of divination for me, then TV's influences could creep in, if say I decide to draw the TV show I'm watching in the context of the comics.

firecatpickles

Helvetica said:
If you sprinkle your basket with some fresh spring water collected by a virgin by starlight on the first day of the crescent moon, saying the words, get thee behind me, bad jumping spirits...

...you'll have some very wet tarot cards
This is too funny!

Actually the reason I am even on this forum, the path I followed to get here, is because a "wacky wiccan" told me I had a deck of possessed tarot cards! He said I had to bury it in the ground each day for each card. The responses I got from you people were unequivocal "Nos!" "Send the deck to me!" "It'll get moldy!" "Kick that nut in the sack for telling you that!"

I believe that perfect practice makes perfect performance, and while I am weaning myself off ritual, being a recovering <retired> organist/minister of music, I feel the rituals of lighting candles, burning incense and shuffle-cutting-shuffling is a way to center my mind and concentrate on the querent/question. It also helps the querent (when I actually have clients) to focus better. I am practicing for the future.

I have been gifted exactly one deck of tarot cards, and that was over ten years after I actually started reading. It is amazing to me that myths like this can perpetuate themselves, even though tarot was illegal in this country as late as the 1950's in some areas (and is still illegal today in some states.) Urban myths materialize in all areas of interest in life. It's just a fact of life, I suppose.

K:spade:K

firecatpickles

gregory said:
...I might use my singing bowl as a starter, to sort of clear the atmosphere...
This is a wonderful idea! Although I may use of crystal glass. You are talking about wetting your finger tips and rubbing the rim to make a pitch, correct? Like Ben Franklin's glass harmonica?

gregory

kilts_knave said:
This is a wonderful idea! Although I may use of crystal glass. You are talking about wetting your finger tips and rubbing the rim to make a pitch, correct? Like Ben Franklin's glass harmonica?

Well, no - it came with a special wooden stick that you pass very gently around the rim. When you get it going you can increase the pressure. It is a very old one, and so is the stick. I guess if you are out there in a Buddhist temple you can't keep stopping to wet your finger again.... ;) (I bought it in Kathmandu from a guy who showed me how to do it.)

I never thought to try it with fingers and water.... I will let you know later !

Oh - but of course -if you are using a crystal bowl that is something different again of course.... I guess that would have to be water.

I will now try my stick on a wineglass....

cybercat

kilts_knave said:
This is too funny!

Actually the reason I am even on this forum, the path I followed to get here, is because a "wacky wiccan" told me I had a deck of possessed tarot cards! He said I had to bury it in the ground each day for each card. The responses I got from you people were unequivocal "Nos!" "Send the deck to me!" "It'll get moldy!" "Kick that nut in the sack for telling you that!"

I believe that perfect practice makes perfect performance, and while I am weaning myself off ritual, being a recovering <retired> organist/minister of music, I feel the rituals of lighting candles, burning incense and shuffle-cutting-shuffling is a way to center my mind and concentrate on the querent/question. It also helps the querent (when I actually have clients) to focus better. I am practicing for the future.

I have been gifted exactly one deck of tarot cards, and that was over ten years after I actually started reading. It is amazing to me that myths like this can perpetuate themselves, even though tarot was illegal in this country as late as the 1950's in some areas (and is still illegal today in some states.) Urban myths materialize in all areas of interest in life. It's just a fact of life, I suppose.

I have run into a few people that have gotten advice from these wacky wiccan types. It seems that many new people to the wicca religion do not read too much before spouting advice to everyone. Many newbies read one or two books and think they are law. Most rituals now days you hear about come from authors way of doing things. Like sleeping with deck, crystals with deck or not letting others touch deck ect. The fact is what you do is your choise do not do it because some one said you should.

Now as far as not buying your own deck that has a very long history. One reason it was thought, that a reader would keep compition down by telling that to those that wanted to get a deck and read. It is very sad that there are people with no knowledge spouting off these old myths. I would say one should enlighten them of their misconceptions.