Tarot Power

SaskMick

Thank you! :)
(makes me wonder if you were born with one ;) ).

All I know is that I can pick the cards correctly, and can dowse. I was hoping that reading cards would not need any extra special skills. Looks like I might be out of luck.

Sulis

All I know is that I can pick the cards correctly, and can dowse. I was hoping that reading cards would not need any extra special skills. Looks like I might be out of luck.
The special skill in reading tarot cards is in reading and interpreting the symbolism used in the cards. That's why, as I said before, learning tarot is like learning a new language.. It isn't a skill bestowed on us from some great, unseen force like a psychic power, it's a practical skill and like any other skill; languages, playing a musical instrument etc, some people have a natural talent for it so it comes easier to them and some find it a hard slog.
Someone who is psychic, like your friend could probably predict without the use of cards at all.

SaskMick

The special skill in reading tarot cards is in reading and interpreting the symbolism used in the cards. That's why, as I said before, learning tarot is like learning a new language.. It isn't a skill bestowed on us from some great, unseen force like a psychic power, it's a practical skill and like any other skill; languages, playing a musical instrument etc, some people have a natural talent for it so it comes easier to them and some find it a hard slog.
Someone who is psychic, like your friend could probably predict without the use of cards at all.

If there is no great unseen force then how can I always pick the right cards ? I will get answers to my questions and get told what will happen years into the future without even asking. When it was apparent that there might have been more to it than just the cards I had selected I asked him about it. He said "everything I have told you is right here in these cards".

He was psychic though, I remember watching the news on telly with him one evening when a picture of Tony Blair who had just been elected popped up on the screen. He said " he will be responsible for the deaths of many people "

Sulis

If there is no great unseen force then how can I always pick the right cards ? I will get answers to my questions and get told what will happen years into the future without even asking. When it was apparent that there might have been more to it than just the cards I had selected I asked him about it. He said "everything I have told you is right here in these cards".

He was psychic though, I remember watching the news on telly with him one evening when a picture of Tony Blair who had just been elected popped up on the screen. He said " he will be responsible for the deaths of many people "

I'm talking about the skill of reading the cards, of interpreting the messages from the cards you pick.. That's what I meant when I said that there is no great, unseen force that enables us to do that.. How the right cards come up for each reading is a mystery that no-one really has the answer to..

I have no clue how the cards work and there are many threads here speculating on how they do but interpreting and reading the cards is a skill that people can learn.

Tarot cards don't have set meanings, each card has a core meaning but the actual message of each card changes with each reading and is dependent on the context, the question asked, the other cards in the spread - that's where the skill comes in, it's like learning to play a musical instrument or learning to speak another language.. I really don't think that you'll pick up a pack of cards and suddenly become a marvellous tarot reader because you can dowse but who knows, maybe you'll be a natural, just don't be too disappointed if it seems like a tough path for quite a while.. I know that I was reading for a couple of years before I felt like I could start to ditch the books and actually felt like I was reading the cards on my own.

SaskMick

I'm talking about the skill of reading the cards, of interpreting the messages from the cards you pick.. That's what I meant when I said that there is no great, unseen force that enables us to do that.. How the right cards come up for each reading is a mystery that no-one really has the answer to..

I have no clue how the cards work and there are many threads here speculating on how they do but interpreting and reading the cards is a skill that people can learn.

Tarot cards don't have set meanings, each card has a core meaning but the actual message of each card changes with each reading and is dependent on the context, the question asked, the other cards in the spread - that's where the skill comes in, it's like learning to play a musical instrument or learning to speak another language.. I really don't think that you'll pick up a pack of cards and suddenly become a marvellous tarot reader because you can dowse but who knows, maybe you'll be a natural, just don't be too disappointed if it seems like a tough path for quite a while.. I know that I was reading for a couple of years before I felt like I could start to ditch the books and actually felt like I was reading the cards on my own.

Gotcha, that makes sense now. Thanks :)...

FWIW I doubt that being able to dowse will be any help either.

What worries me a bit is that I might get people who cant pick the cards to save their own life... How will I know if it's them that's useless and not just me ?

Sulis

What worries me a bit is that I might get people who cant pick the cards to save their own life... How will I know if it's them that's useless and not just me ?
In my experience, anyone can pick cards.. You just shuffle whilst focusing on the question and pick the cards.. It's interpreting them that's the difficult bit.

Barleywine

In my case, I only read face-to-face, so the order of the cards as they appear in the spread is set by the client's shuffle-and-cut. Thus, the client "owns" the reading and I'm just the interpreter. Right now I draw from the top of the deck, but if I went to a fan, I would have my sitter pull the cards one at a time, so it would still be their subconscious choices that build the spread, not mine. As I see it, the more involvement the client has in the process, the better the result.

SaskMick

In my experience, anyone can pick cards.. You just shuffle whilst focusing on the question and pick the cards.. It's interpreting them that's the difficult bit.

That's a new one to me :).... When I had my cards read if was always me who shuffled the pack. The actual reader laid them out on the table and then read them for me.

SaskMick

In my case, I only read face-to-face, so the order of the cards as they appear in the spread is set by the client's shuffle-and-cut. Thus, the client "owns" the reading and I'm just the interpreter. Right now I draw from the top of the deck, but if I went to a fan, I would have my sitter pull the cards one at a time, so it would still be their subconscious choices that build the spread, not mine. As I see it, the more involvement the client has in the process, the better the result.

That's exactly what I'm used to. The only time it was different was when I would give him numbers over the phone, I still owned the reading though.

Tanga

My word. Useless - and you've not even begun? :) :joke:
I think you're jumping the gun a bit - Lol.
Practice - can make anyone a good reader in time.

And people will just pick what they pick.
That's in their arena (and their "path" if you like) - your job is to read well what you see from that.

Who shuffles and who picks - it's up to the reader.
So the sitter can shuffle and pick - or the reader can shuffle and pick. And all variations of that.
Generally - I like to get the sitter as involved as they can, if it's a face-to-face reading.
So after I've shuffled whilst asking about them, I offer them a shuffle, cut and pick - sometimes from a fan. Sometimes from the one pile, sometimes from several piles... depends.

And etc. etc. for different readers.