Tarot prejudice.

MagsStardustBlack

I talk about it all the time, but I don't know if there is a specific thread or threads about it.

BTW - novenovembre - just to explain - you will hear a lot of people on AT talk about Tarot as 'pretty pictures printed on cardboard.' They are not ''dismissing" Tarot - it is a response to people whom ask questions about if their deck is alive or has feelings or cast spells or cause things to happen on it's own - things that would indicate a Tarot deck is a living entity - to which the common response is 'Tarot is pretty pictures printed on cardboard.'

Aaaahhhhhh interesting, I did wonder about the 'pretty pictures' however vaguely.

MagsStardustBlack

If not "bad" then perhaps "laughable"... as in "Miss Cleo"... I offered some readings for trade on a local community bartering site that I go to on Facebook, and I had some asshole read my post and say something along the lines of, "hahahahahaha you've got to be kidding me!" and I just blasted his ass -- I told him I wasn't interested in a debate about whether it was real or not, that it was something fun I was hoping to offer and I obviously wasn't shoving this down anyone's throats. Then some other guy jumped in and was like, "This isn't worth it, keep your money folks!" (I wasn't even asking for money, it was a bartering site... and he had no idea of its worth) so I went to that guy's page, saw that he was a tattoo artist, and commented back, "Don't get a tattoo from [this guy], save your money folks!" To make a point I could drag his name through the mud just as easily without knowing what I'm talking about...

Then after tons of people 'Liked' my posts, those two idiots shut the hell up and went on their way.... the administrator stepped in and made a note, "...to each their own..." etc. and haven't had any problems since. In fact, that was a while ago, and I've got a reading to do soon for a lady from the community site that she's getting for a friend for her birthday...

So I guess the saying holds true... there's always going to be at least one asshole everywhere...

hahaha! Good on ya for doing that and sticking up for yourself, like yer style. Sometimes people should taste their own poison and get an insight into the grief they cause others.

Richard

I don't mean to be rude, but if that's what you believe, that tarot is only " a bunch of pretty pictures printed on carboard ", what are you doing in this forum ? And, most importantly, what do you do with your tarot deck of pretty pictures ? Just enjoy looking at it, or frame it and hang it on the wall as decoration for the house ?
Talk about prejudice! The word prejudice refers to prejudgement: i.e. making a decision before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. You might be very surprised at what JD can do with such a deck of pretty pictures. She has a deep understanding of Tarot symbolism and the ability to explain it in interesting and useful ways. What is she doing in this forum? Besides the fact that anyone can post here, even if they are prejudiced and have little of interest to contribute, she is willing to take the time and effort to share her valuable insight into Tarot.

momentarylight

The Catholic church claims that tarot is evil not because it lies or because it's impossible to see the future, but on the contrary, because it is possible, but that ability comes from the devil-only God is supposed to know the future-and obviously, the devil.

I don't think the Catholic Church claims anything of the kind. Some of its members might say something from time to time but the claim that tarot is evil is not doctrine.

You should have a look at 'Meditations on the Tarot' (google it :) )

MagsStardustBlack

Recalling one time..... I used to regularly bump into a lady in the park walking the dogs and she seemed very nice, we would chat. Then one day as I was rushing home to settle my baby she stopped me and said ever so anxiously while thrusting a luttle white card into my hand 'I am born again Christian and I have found the holy spirit, this card tells my story and explains about the church I am starting, if you ever need help or me ir anything please contact me' stunned into silence and putting my hungry crying baby first I dashed off.

After this situation had digested at home I became quite annoyed at the ladies pushy attitude and typed her a strong worded email about her assumptions of my lack of faith (in anything) and that actually I had my own beliefs and was enjoying discovering my way In life. And that I didnt need saving by her or anyone else. She replied that she wasnt trying to save me 'only the holy spirit could save me'

Slightly off topic but worth mentioning. I guess to this lady her belief was the only way forward for everyone. I am stunned at this mindlessness.

I go to a Buddhists Darma Mind group when I have time, purly for the meditation and peace and quiet. They know I am not Buddhist and I am interested in other things and still welcome me into the group. Why is it ok to be diverse with some religion's but not others. I find it so dated.

Surly being a humanist, i meen kind, respectful and compassionate to our fellow humans is more important that any faith, we all live in the physical world.

ravenest

I'm a Christian, or at least I try to be. And I've never run into opposition about reading the Tarot. Mind you, I am selective about who I share that information with, but I'm much more likely to get flak from people who think that I believe in "such foolishness" than for being hellbound or anything.

And I agree about the Tarot not being a religion. If you choose to use it as such, it may form a part of your own personal belief system - a tool, if you will. But rosary beads can be a tool of your faith, or looped around the wrist to make a pretty bracelet. A Bible can be a tool of your faith, or a book full of great stories of smiting and fantastic occurrences. An athame can be a tool of your faith, or a knife to butter your toast. And a deck of cards can be a tool of your faith, or a bunch of pretty pictures printed on cardboard. And for me, they fall more into the latter category.

Happy Easter!

Yes that is an intersting point. For me (being a 'practicing magician') the tarot is a one of my four 'magical tools' Fire - wand, water - cup, air - dagger .... then I had to decide what my disc or pentacle was ... i decided it was my tarot deck.

ravenest

A "bunch of pretty pictures printed on cardboard" can still be used to deliver messages. JD is an excellent reader, and a sterling forum member. But tarot is not a religion - as many have said - and does not need or have the trappings of one; nor is it "magic" in the sense that rites and invocations are needed. ...

It does 'not need' but in some cases it 'does have'.

e.g. the invocation to Hru before a reading (see Book of Thoth) and as well I would say the complexities of the GD and Thoth systems of layout (as described by GD and Crowwley re Thoth) pretty much constitute a 'rite'.

But that is choice and reccomendation, it doesnt mean that the pretty pictures used in other ways wont deliver a message.

GryffinSong

I have a friend who was raised in a very "conservative" evangelical church. I brought over some tarot decks to give away to a group of friends and she asked me not to do it again. She truly believes that tarot cards can call up demons. Seriously. I was shocked, as she's very liberal in every other area of her life.

ravenest

I talk about it all the time, but I don't know if there is a specific thread or threads about it.

BTW - novenovembre - just to explain - you will hear a lot of people on AT talk about Tarot as 'pretty pictures printed on cardboard.' They are not ''dismissing" Tarot - it is a response to people whom ask questions about if their deck is alive or has feelings or cast spells or cause things to happen on it's own - things that would indicate a Tarot deck is a living entity - to which the common response is 'Tarot is pretty pictures printed on cardboard.'

Unless one is a pantheist ;) .... they believe that anything has a spirit or is alive or has feelings and can 'cast a spell' ; rocks, trees, a basket woven with a special pattern, a clay statue.

Some people develop beliefs without knowing what that belief is. Then someone comes along and says "Oh, you are a pantheist." or "Oh, so you subscribe to logical positivism then?"

The response can then be either, "Oh. do I? thats intersting, I just thought that was the way things are." and they might go and read up on it and expand their viewpoint. The other response is to dig in and say "No its not ... its not a particular version of a belief its THE WAY THINGS ARE! "

Belief is an intersting thing to study. Consider; belief can radically change in an individul due to a blow to the head or other brain trauma, its a result of the wiring ;)

ravenest

But they can. There are angels decks, saints decks, Jesus decks... People who use them must have some connection to them, other than from a purely mythological standpoint.

Jesus decks! I've missed that one!