Tarot prejudice.

Juliana

I'm another who sees tarot as simply pictures on cardstock. I love the art of them and sometimes collect a deck simply because of that. But I also read. My personal point of view is that there is nothing supernatural about them. Someone earlier in this thread referred to them as similar to inkblot tests, and I think that describes my view pretty well. The meanings and images bring a new perspective and help me analyze a situation in a new way. And they help me realize my own biases and viewpoints on a situation. There are so very many ways to approach tarot, but I love that even through we have varied views on how they work, we all are so passionate about what they do for us.

novenovembre

my point

That's actually another prejudice. Faith is not inherent to Tarot, neither in its meditative use nor in its predictive one. I certainly don't "believe" in Tarot as I don't find anything to believe in; I use it to meditate on the Qabalistic Tree of Life and associated ideas, although I don't have what you may call "belief" in those things either. There are people on the forum who believe predictive Tarot has a scientific reason having to do with electromagnetic fields. Me, I have a slightly convoluted explanation I won't go into here, but you will find as many opinions as there are members, each one "right."

If you mean faith in the readings you receive, I an staunchly in favor of doubting everything, especially Tarot. While anyone may try to free themselves of preconceptions and biases, any reading is ultimately as fallible as the reader. Even if one believes spirit guides, God or anything else is speaking through the cards, the interpretations are ultimately their own, and I would caution against blind certainty.

My point, which I think you missed, was much more simple and down-to-earth.....I accept many different ways to use and understand tarot, even though they are different from mine; I accept those who don't believe it can predict the future and only use it for meditation, although I use it for both, I accept all theories about tarot......I even respect the view of someone who believes they are just a bunch of pretty pictures....-indeed, tarot cards are beautiful to look at- but I still DON'T understand why someone who believes that's all they are would want to waste time talking about it.......

PS That thing about electromagnetic fields is very interesting, by the way.....are there any references anywhere in this forum ?

tarotbear

But those religious people who object and see it as in CONFLICT with religion almost imply that it is a sort of anti-religion - which kind of makes it a religion, to them...

Those are the same people for whom just about ANYTHING can be in conflict with SOME part of SOMEONE's religion. Do not forget - there are Christians (for lack of a better term) around who believe only Catholics go to heaven - they have no idea where Jews, Buddists, Protestants, etc. go - since their religions are false (Christianity is The One and Only True Religion) so when those people die they must just evaporate or something ... and these are other recongnised REAL religions around the world!

If they can dismiss another real religion as 'false' - Tarot as something seen as 'evil' will just be the perfect conflict. As I stated in another thread 'Christianity & Tarot do NOT mix.'

tarotbear

That thing about electromagnetic fields is very interesting, by the way.....are there any references anywhere in this forum ?

I talk about it all the time, but I don't know if there is a specific thread or threads about it.

BTW - novenovembre - just to explain - you will hear a lot of people on AT talk about Tarot as 'pretty pictures printed on cardboard.' They are not ''dismissing" Tarot - it is a response to people whom ask questions about if their deck is alive or has feelings or cast spells or cause things to happen on it's own - things that would indicate a Tarot deck is a living entity - to which the common response is 'Tarot is pretty pictures printed on cardboard.'

novenovembre

aesthetic pleasure

I'm another who sees tarot as simply pictures on cardstock. I love the art of them and sometimes collect a deck simply because of that. But I also read. My personal point of view is that there is nothing supernatural about them. Someone earlier in this thread referred to them as similar to inkblot tests, and I think that describes my view pretty well. The meanings and images bring a new perspective and help me analyze a situation in a new way. And they help me realize my own biases and viewpoints on a situation. There are so very many ways to approach tarot, but I love that even through we have varied views on how they work, we all are so passionate about what they do for us.

I just find it hard to understand how someone can have any use for tarot if they don't give value to the symbolism and exoteric dimension behind it......how can some pretty pieces of cardboard inspire anything except for a sort of aesthetic pleasure ? How can it do everything you say, if it's devoid of its supernatural dimension, or at least its exoteric tradition ?
Maybe it's my limit......

Zephyros

but I still DON'T understand why someone who believes that's all they are would want to waste time talking about it.......

History, for one thing. Diverse ways of presenting the same idea for another. Simple stimulants for thought... the uses are endless, and so are the topics that can be discussed. Many on the Historical forum don't read or "use" the cards at all, but simply study their history. They are just card with pretty pictures, the added dimension is added by the user, and even looking and discussing pretty pictures is a form of use, and can be discussed.

That thing about electromagnetic fields is very interesting, by the way.....are there any references anywhere in this forum ?

Ask tarotbear, it's his theory and he presents it quite a compelling way.

As I stated in another thread 'Christianity & Tarot do NOT mix.'

But they can. There are angels decks, saints decks, Jesus decks... People who use them must have some connection to them, other than from a purely mythological standpoint.

novenovembre

tarot decks

I talk about it all the time, but I don't know if there is a specific thread or threads about it.

BTW - novenovembre - just to explain - you will hear a lot of people on AT talk about Tarot as 'pretty pictures printed on cardboard.' They are not ''dismissing" Tarot - it is a response to people whom ask questions about if their deck is alive or has feelings or cast spells or cause things to happen on it's own - things that would indicate a Tarot deck is a living entity - to which the common response is 'Tarot is pretty pictures printed on cardboard.'

Actually, this is something I woul like to start a new thread about-tarot decks and their "value". I have been taught that cards are just a means, a "medium", but still they must be respected, even in the way we keep them, or handle them, or store them. I've known a lot of readers who didn't treat their cards very well when not using them, and I don't know why, I was horrified every time. But maybe they are right; maybe they are just a means or medium by which we meditate, or see the future.....we could do it equally well with coffee cups......

seven stars

However the feeling I got was that to my friend any associations with tarot were a big no.
Anyway just voicing my thoughts. Its not my friend I am questioning but does tarot have a bad reputation or something?

Magsx

With religious folk, as with non-religious folk, you just get all kinds. My sister is a born-again, but she's the most laid-back, non-judgmental person I've ever known, & very light hearted about it. She doesn't mind my atheistic views one bit, and even asked me if I would make a tarot deck for her daughter who, was thrilled with it. When I do readings in the market, I notice the little cross necklaces and people will just tell me sometimes they're Christian, but they sit down anyway & we talk & talk. Only rarely do I get people who will say as they pass, "That's the devil's work" & of course, Scott, the old hunchback in the market (he's a character & a regular figure) - he can barely talk but he'll yell at me & say "Jesus is the only way! Don't listen to her! It's the devil!" & I tell him to go away.

On the flip side, I've known quite a few occultists & non-religious who were equally pushy & annoying.

I want to tell people, look, have your own beliefs & lets all just get along & do our thing, but then I hear my aunt's voice saying jokingly "We all think if only the whole world believed as I do we'd get along great!"

There are stigmas for soooo many things. Divorcees, sexual preference, inter-racial marriage, religions, soccer-moms, new-agers, day-jobbers, stoners...it's just funny how the human mind works, how we're so anxious to exclude and be better than someone else. What I have found typically is that whatever it is we don't like in others is the thing that we don't like in ourselves. I try to keep that in mind, and when I hear someone being judgmental, I ask myself, I wonder what is it about them that makes them hate that part of themselves that is like that.

Juliana

I just find it hard to understand how someone can have any use for tarot if they don't give value to the symbolism and exoteric dimension behind it......how can some pretty pieces of cardboard inspire anything except for a sort of aesthetic pleasure ? How can it do everything you say, if it's devoid of its supernatural dimension, or at least its exoteric tradition ?
Maybe it's my limit......

I do give value to the symbolism in that I find the symbolism very intriguing. I see it as an interesting way of taking common experiences and attributes and expressing them in picture form. I find the esoteric intriguing as well. But I do not believe that there is anything outside of humans that created that. I do not believe that any gods or spirits or any other life force had anything to do with it. Again, like the inkblot comparison, there is no supernatural element to it, but it is useful nonetheless.

Another comparison would be Buddhism. I do not believe in the supernatural aspects of Buddhism. I do not believe that reincarnation exists, or that Karma exists, or that a soul exists. But that doesn't mean Buddhism is useless to me. It has ideas and philosophies that are very helpful and very meaningful. It provides a new way of looking at life. I do not hold that tarot or anything else needs to be supernatural to have value. And yes, pretty pictures on cardstock that have human-made and human-devised symbolic systems can allow people to have a new perspective on a situation. It jogs the brain and gives you a new archetype to apply to your situation. It forces you to consider another facet of the situation. And that is very helpful. It is like an outside perspective, a third-party interpretation. Doesn't matter which card you draw, it will give you a new lens to look through.

seven stars

For me personally, I don't feel that I am a medium. I'm definitely not psychic. I don't think the deck is alive or has feelings or can cast spells. I have no idea why the cards are always right. It's a mystery. I'm good with that. Most people hate mysteries, but not me. What I tell people is that sure they're pretty pictures printed on cardboard, but they're images specifically designed to make you think. Most of my sessions end up being mini-therapy sessions, for which I have no formal training other than that I'm an unbiased bystander to their situation given a few clues which we discuss in depth. That's NOT how a lot of people read & there are a lot more educated people out there than me (thank goodness). But I think there are a lot worse readers out there than me, too. I try to be ethical, I try to give hope, & I try to give options for positive, healthy direction. That can't be THAT bad - but for a lot of Christians, they believe that if you're looking for that, you need to be flipping the pages of your bible, not Tarot with a stranger who is not a Christian.