Tarot Theft!!!!!

Rosanne

Arrrghhhhhh!
This is not directed at the poster who said this, but the concept.
I feel like actually reading those 20 tarot books I downloaded illegally.

You can use a Library, download those books legally for the term of lending.
At least the author gets a cut this way.
The Tarot world becomes poorer because of these practices of illegal downloads.
IT IS THEFT!
When I cannot afford books, DVDs, etc I use the Library, that way someone gets paid for their intellectual property.
.....and if you are a thief, reading Tarot cards seems kind of oxymoronic.
The generosity of people here on this forum will assist with decks. I know this..it is a truth.
Walk a mile in the author's shoes, the Deck creators shoes, and think how you would feel if your work was stolen.

~Rosanne

SunChariot

I didn't see the thread and maybe it was taken out of context, but it makes not sense to me why someone would download books in the first place if they did not want to read them. Maybe one by accident, but 20?

Also I see what you are saying in a sense. Being a reader is a selfless thing in many ways. We need to put our own needs away and focus on the needs of another, the querent. As we read, it is all about them and not about us really at all. It is about what is best for them not for us.

I agree that in downloading books illegally, the author is losing money. I am about to write a Tarot book, so I can see it from that point of view. I would hope people would pay for my book that I would spend so much of my time and put so much of myself into. It is a lot of work and most books are to be sold to compensate the author for that.

I see what you mean in that it seems a big incongruous for a reader, reading being an art where we are so used to seeing the needs of others and putting them first, to not see or care that they are taking something away from someone who worked hard to give them a gift in the form of that book.

There was a real person behind it, who put a lot of themselves into it to try and help others and to put something good and useful out into the world. If there was an expectation of the book being a chargeable item, its feels a bit uncaring to me. That you are happy taking what this person put out there for you but don't care if they are compensated or not for the effort.

Also if this actually became commonplace we can imagine that not as many authors may be willing to spend years of their lives on something they have to give away for free. I could lead to less and less good books being written if this became commonplace.

And e-books are so inexpensive anyway...

Babs

mejenks

I didn't see the thread and maybe it was taken out of context, but it makes not sense to me why someone would download books in the first place if they did not want to read them. Maybe one by accident, but 20?

Also I see what you are saying in a sense. Being a reader is a selfless thing in many ways. We need to put our own needs away and focus on the needs of another, the querent. As we read, it is all about them and not about us really at all. It is about what is best for them not for us.

I agree that in downloading books illegally, the author is losing money. I am about to write a Tarot book, so I can see it from that point of view. I would hope people would pay for my book that I would spend so much of my time and put so much of myself into. It is a lot of work and most books are to be sold to compensate the author for that.

I see what you mean in that it seems a big incongruous for a reader, reading being an art where we are so used to seeing the needs of others and putting them first, to not see or care that they are taking something away from someone who worked hard to give them a gift in the form of that book.

There was a real person behind it, who put a lot of themselves into it to try and help others and to put something good and useful out into the world. If there was an expectation of the book being a chargeable item, its feels a bit uncaring to me. That you are happy taking what this person put out there for you but don't care if they are compensated or not for the effort.

Also if this actually became commonplace we can imagine that not as many authors may be willing to spend years of their lives on something they have to give away for free. I could lead to less and less good books being written if this became commonplace.

And e-books are so inexpensive anyway...

Babs

I've downloaded probably 100 books that I haven't read. I have good intentions, I just get distracted by the next one. I probably read one to every five I download. That being said... I don't know how to get free books, stealing them or otherwise. Don't think it's right but I feel like I live in a glass house if I've bought anything online to avoid sales tax. Just sayin'

SunChariot

Actually I have about 25 books on my e-reader that I have not yet, although I intend to. LOL Keep finding more to download so some of the earlier ones have not been touched yet.

I mean to read them all in time though. :grin:

I do get free books on my Kindle (e-reader) but they are designated as free/no charge books. They are there on amazon for free. Mostly classics, where the author is no longer alive to collect royalties...They are called Public Domain books. Amazon does not charge for them and there are thousands. And I am sure Nook and other e-readers do they same.

In case you are interested, you can always download a free version of Kindle for computers or for cell phones. Thoght I'd mention it....

Babs

gregory

It's the mention of "illegally" that would have annoyed me if I'd seen that.

It IS theft, if they aren't intended to be free - see scribd for one place where these things happen and one sterling individual has stopped offering courses after they were uploaded there for people to steal, and his income was lost just like that.

Authors - as Rosy said - do get a LITTLE for books borrowed from libraries, and every little helps - most authors are very far from rich. If we steal their work, they will have to stop producing it and get a job in Walmart instead and we will all be the poorer.

mmmagique

I understand the OP's point, as a writer, and a person who creates a lot of websites, etc.

Really, people should not take what is not theirs. They shouldn't. I don't. (although I was not always so enlightened)

But I know people who do, and I try to explain to them why they shouldn't. After that I let it go. I'm pretty sure that as far as sins go, it's pretty low on the totem pole.

I guess the only thing we can really do is to do what we feel is right, (not steal) and explain to others why it's wrong (because it's stealing) and then leave everyone to police themselves.

Zephyros

Is it even possible not to download anything illegally on the internet? Raise your hand whoever has never downloaded any music. Who here has not watched an illegally uploaded YouTube video? Is everyone's operating system bought and paid for (I use Linux, so bypassed that one!)? What about your wallpaper downloaded from Google Images? Movies? Exorbitantly priced video games?

My point is, I'm not condoning theft, but I find it difficult to judge, throw the first stone, etc.

Rosanne

OK -I do not download music or DVD's, nor You tube (apart from what is sent me via email- which I had not before considered, and now will)
I realise it sounds prissy to make a comment.
My children, I believe download music illegally.
My neighbour, I believe gets illegal movies.
I agree that it is hard to work out.
Tarot is a small-ish market- take away the income, and it will be an even smaller one.
Downloading 20 Tarot books illegally is removal of income from authors, when in fact you can get those same books through the Library, downloaded onto your particular device.
What is so hard about that! It seems easier to do that than go through the illegal way.
Gregory mentioned the scribd site that is constantly losing it's authors.
I think you can make a stand, and it is not about people in glass houses throwing stones either. If I meet someone starving I would personally condone food theft. Tarot is discretionary spending, not the necessities of life.

~Rosanne

The crowned one

Rosanne I think you are right in principle.

To me most modern tarot books are not, in my opinion, worth the paper they are written on. If I could download them for a test run I would not hesitate. I would delete the 99% garbage and pay to hold the good ones in my hand that I had read for free. Why should I pay for something I have not previewed and approved of, given that the technology is there for me to do just that? I saw a part of what was going to be my masters thesis on a muscle building site! ( it was on amino acid synthesis) I was more flattered then pissed off, but I did want credit. Disposable income is hard earned and I think needs to be earned for those wishing to take it from us. I have trusted writers in the medical field who's books I buy without any research, others I look for reviews and those I have not heard of, as I said, if I could I would read them in digital form( for free) before buying in converted tree form.

Still you are right in law, and generally principal. I do agree with you, but would act contrary to my agreement as it would not set off many moral template alarm bells for me. I would accept the punishment if I was caught and prosecuted as I know it is against the law. I am not sure if it is not a slightly dated law now given the internet and information access in general.

Rosanne

Rosanne I think you are right in principle.

I not sure whether that is a badge or a brickbat hehehe.

To me most modern tarot books are not, in my opinion, worth the paper they are written on. If I could download them for a test run I would not hesitate. I would delete the 99% garbage and pay to hold the good ones in my hand that I had read for free. Why should I pay for something I have not previewed and approved of, given that the technology is there for me to do just that?
I agree, even though there are alternatives to that dilemma.

I saw a part of what was going to be my masters thesis on a muscle building site! ( it was on amino acid synthesis) I was more flattered then pissed off, but I did want credit.
Exactly and I hope you got the credit.

Still you are right in law, and generally principal. I do agree with you, but would act contrary to my agreement as it would not set off many moral template alarm bells for me. I would accept the punishment if I was caught and prosecuted as I know it is against the law. I am not sure if it is not a slightly dated law now given the internet and information access in general.
The Law is outdated given the technology now.
A Few years ago, because it was hard to come by I suggested that I type out Gertrude Moakley's book about the handpainted cards, here on AT. Apparently that was against the law.
What is the difference between doing that and downloading illegally?
Television in NZ is absololute crap thesedays. Cheap reality shows and the like. I was told, when I wrote, that the market had taken away the incentive to produce 'quality' TV. Everything could be downloaded, or imported copied from China; Sponsors were not willing to back 'quality' but instant programmes.(excepting sport) My neighbour had 'Lord of the Rings' on DVD, before it was released here. I guess the same happened with 'the Hobbit'. It is like watching the dilution of milk drop by drop. One day I might hear "do you remember when you could get a Tarot Book off the shelf....?" Maybe I am just a Dinosaur ;)

~Rosanne