The Antiquarian Lenormand

kalliope

Here's a video of 6 cards that haven't been scanned yet. It gives you a better idea of what they look like size-wise. All of the images on these ones were found in the public domain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOT-wKvd7s.

Wow, ladybird. Something about seeing the cards in the video really made me see them in a new light. I've been enjoying your creation thread, but didn't know if the deck would be quite right for me. I wasn't sure how I'd respond to all of the different colors and textures in the "wallpaper" backgrounds (even though they're lovely). But after seeing the video, and seeing the cards laid out next to each other, I think they look great, and my interest has been reinvigorated! And I love the Snake card, it's gorgeous.

I just went back through the thread to remind myself of all of the cards, and I just wanted to pipe up to say that the Fox card is the only one I'd have trouble with. The image itself is great, and I can see why you like it, but as you've said, it's more of a "scene" card. I'd like to see a Fox mostly by itself, and I agree that the wily fox probably shouldn't have managed to be caught by that woman! I'm another one who didn't know there were black foxes, I'm ashamed to say. I wouldn't mind at all if the fox were black in the deck, though!

The cross card is interesting, and will be a little stretch for me to see the "fate/destiny" meanings in it, but I do like the image a lot. Whether or not it was part of your decision, the nurse's posture hints just a bit at crucification, especially on the cross, so I think it's easy to connect to spirituality and religion if one would like.

I hope you're still considering the smaller poker size for your deck so that a Grand Tableau wouldn't be out of the question. *crosses fingers* ;)

ladybird

Wow, ladybird. Something about seeing the cards in the video really made me see them in a new light. I've been enjoying your creation thread, but didn't know if the deck would be quite right for me. I wasn't sure how I'd respond to all of the different colors and textures in the "wallpaper" backgrounds (even though they're lovely). But after seeing the video, and seeing the cards laid out next to each other, I think they look great, and my interest has been reinvigorated! And I love the Snake card, it's gorgeous.

Thank you, kalliope!! I :heart: the Snake too. :) I understand, I really can't expect everyone to like this deck, it has such a specific look to it. I began making this deck for myself for learning and artistic purposes. I also know, being a part of the AT community, that there may be other folks here who might want one too. I'm thrilled to hear the video helped you to see the cards in a new way. I wasn't sure what the video would do.

I just went back through the thread to remind myself of all of the cards, and I just wanted to pipe up to say that the Fox card is the only one I'd have trouble with. The image itself is great, and I can see why you like it, but as you've said, it's more of a "scene" card. I'd like to see a Fox mostly by itself, and I agree that the wily fox probably shouldn't have managed to be caught by that woman! I'm another one who didn't know there were black foxes, I'm ashamed to say. I wouldn't mind at all if the fox were black in the deck, though!

I honestly didn't know about black foxes either until I came across that image last year. I am totally changing the Fox! I found a great illustration plate of a BLACK fox from the 19th century! The fox is by himself and is much more in the Lenormand style. I realize now that there are many different kind of foxes. There are two types of black foxes that I ran across. The plate that I chose has a white tipped tail like you would see in a red fox. (There is a black fox species without the white tip.)

I really appreciate everyone's input about the fox. It's true what you say, the fox being caught by the woman says too much. The second one is going to be so much better!

The cross card is interesting, and will be a little stretch for me to see the "fate/destiny" meanings in it, but I do like the image a lot. Whether or not it was part of your decision, the nurse's posture hints just a bit at crucification, especially on the cross, so I think it's easy to connect to spirituality and religion if one would like.

I hope you're still considering the smaller poker size for your deck so that a Grand Tableau wouldn't be out of the question. *crosses fingers* ;)

I did think of the nurse being in a sort of stigmata position relating to religion but wasn't sure if that was a long shot or not. :) My plan is to keep this one as is.

And yes!! My plan is to print in two sizes. A smaller poker size and a larger tarot size. I'm printing more of the smaller size. I figure the larger will be more appreciated by friends and family.

I've been talking to the local printer, getting quotes. I may have to do small white borders (similar to the Blue Owl Lenormand) on this deck because the number and playing card insert land outside the "safe zone" for trimming. I'm still talking to them about this. I didn't consider that when I began gluing everything down. :( *palm-slap to forehead!*

The poker size will be 3.5 X 2.5 (the same size as the Gypsy Fortune Telling Playing Cards). I figure that since trimming is common in our community that people can trim the border off. This will also make it even smaller for those who prefer smaller. Sorry everyone, I really wanted to make this border-less, I didn't think ahead on that one!

Also, I'm putting everything together myself (the cards are coming to me uncollated) and rounding the corners by hand. Everything will be handled by my hand, which I quite like! Extra quality control guaranteed! ;) I'm going to let people opt out of having their corners rounded though and may give a discount for that. I know those peeps are far a few between but thought it should be an option since I'm not having the printer corner round them. It's more expensive to have them do that! Isn't that weird? You'd think they'd have a corner rounder die cut for playing cards projects but they said they'd have to have a die cut made! Well anyway, this will make it more affordable for me and therefore you all in the end. :)

Hope that's not too much information too soon. I still have 14 cards to make but thought I'd get organized in the printing department as I'm nearing the end.

baylys

Ohh, this looks much better.

kalliope

I did think of the nurse being in a sort of stigmata position relating to religion but wasn't sure if that was a long shot or not. :) My plan is to keep this one as is.

Ah yes, stigmata! That's the word I was looking for.

And yes!! My plan is to print in two sizes. A smaller poker size and a larger tarot size. I'm printing more of the smaller size. I figure the larger will be more appreciated by friends and family.

So glad to hear that you'll be printing in poker size. :)

I've been talking to the local printer, getting quotes. I may have to do small white borders (similar to the Blue Owl Lenormand) on this deck because the number and playing card insert land outside the "safe zone" for trimming. I'm still talking to them about this. I didn't consider that when I began gluing everything down. :( *palm-slap to forehead!*

The poker size will be 3.5 X 2.5 (the same size as the Gypsy Fortune Telling Playing Cards). I figure that since trimming is common in our community that people can trim the border off. This will also make it even smaller for those who prefer smaller. Sorry everyone, I really wanted to make this border-less, I didn't think ahead on that one!

Interesting about the "safe zone" for borders. That's something you wouldn't really think about unless you'd produced a deck before, so don't beat yourself up. I won't mind trimming mine!

I'm going to let people opt out of having their corners rounded though and may give a discount for that.

I would be one to opt-out of corner rounding. First of all, I can assume I'll want to trim off the borders, since I like both how your cards look without them and smaller cards. Secondly, of all things related to trimming, corner rounding is easiest, provided you get yourself a decent corner clipper (I'd recommend a 3mm rounder for Lenormands, not a 5mm). And it will save you time![/QUOTE]

Here's a video of the new Fox Card. I think it's going to work much better than the first Fox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXhELO2vHZ4&feature=youtu.be

Yes, much better! It was also really cool to see how you construct the card in the original medium (media?) :)

Tarot Orat

Love the new fox! I like how it's not just the standard red or gray fox, it goes along with the unique quality of the deck. It also feels true to the era you're evoking, natural illustration of unusual species was HUGE prior to photographs and easy traveling. If you wanted to see a black fox and didn't live near black foxes, a good naturalist illustration was the closest you'd ever come. This is a really great image :)

MoonGypsy

Very Happy with the new fox, my dear! :heart: :thumbsup:

Chronata

Every new card is a delight.
I am really loving this deck more and more!
I think it has to be my next Lenormand.

And completely off subject...but your voice in the video has this awesome tonal quality. I hope you do more narration in future videos!

ladybird

Interesting about the "safe zone" for borders. That's something you wouldn't really think about unless you'd produced a deck before, so don't beat yourself up. I won't mind trimming mine!

I would be one to opt-out of corner rounding. First of all, I can assume I'll want to trim off the borders, since I like both how your cards look without them and smaller cards. Secondly, of all things related to trimming, corner rounding is easiest, provided you get yourself a decent corner clipper (I'd recommend a 3mm rounder for Lenormands, not a 5mm). And it will save you time!

Good to hear that, kalliope! (I have to mention that our neice is named Calliope!) I wondered if people might actually prefer not to have theirs rounded in case they want to trim the borders off. I'll still round the cards myself and ask people to opt out before I ship it out. I have both a smaller and a larger corner rounder since I like to trim and then round my decks too. I planned to use the smaller one. I suppose it's 3mm? I tried to measure it, it's the same roundness as my Blue Owl Lenormand. I just checked it's the same size as all of my Lenormands.

I'm happy to hear that you all like the new Fox, he is so beautiful with his black coat. Thanks again for your encouragement, everyone! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm trying to figure out which card to work on next. :)

tarot heart

I love the original fox card, please don't change it! The new one looks more like a bear, especially in the face. I like your original card much, much better. They are all lovely! I am really enjoying watching your progress with this very unique lenormand deck.