The Four of Swords' symbols

TemperanceAngel

I have just discovered this thread, so excuse me for coming in late. This is all fascinating me!

Celeste I hope you are doing ok?

I went and grabbed my deck, 1971 version and low and behold I immediately saw what you were all talking about and my 'original' thought took me straight to the King of Pentacles and The Emporer with the same figure on their chairs.

It makes me think: King of Pentacles and grounding which, in a sense, when you are resting you are grounding or needing to ground your energies.
The Emporer is also four and four's are about stability and structure, which is part of what the Four of Swords is trying to get gain.

The Goddess Hathor theory resonates well with me too!

My husband is a cabinet maker, so I will ask for his opinion tonight.

Mary Greer said, 'A symbol that can be defined is no longer a true symbol - which must always transcend all categories and explanations."

XTAX

Jewel-ry

Hi,

Just to stick my 'five eggs' in, I was following this thread and got to wandering why the one sword is separate from the other three? Can anyone throw any light on this?

Jewel-ry
P.S.I vote the Goddess Hathor way too! Also, I like the way TemperanceAngel tied this in with the King Pentacles and the Emperor. Cool! So much to learn, I love this site!

Mystic Zyl

I vote for Goddess Hather too!

WalesWoman

This is great, I drew this last week and decided that it was time to put some of my perceptions and mindsets to rest. I like the Hathor explaination, it makes the most sense. Nothing is on these cards just for the heck of it. The lamb, hmmmm, a feeling of martyrdom and sacrifice, injustices bringing you down? Experiencing grief, what brought it on?

I think the sword beneath the person is the base of their consciousness or beliefs,attitudes, mind sets, thoughts and perceptions. Maybe overthinking an idea to death? What laid them low to begin with perhaps.

I think of the ones above this person as what they are thinking about, what is on their mind, be it past, present or future, but something that isn't really touching them. They are strong though, or have some sort of armor for protection, that or they are shielding themselves from the truth of some sort.

It's indoors because this person needs to go within the walls they have erected between them and the outside world, or need some sort of confinement in order to rest and repair and rejunvenate. It's sort of like the Hermit in that respect.

firecatpickles

Since this card is an indoor scene, is it possible that the ram's head whatever-it-is thingy is attached to the end of a rope? This rope crosses in front of the Roman numeral giving it a perceptual image that it may be in front of the window, not beside it. That close to the window, architecturally it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it is a rope connected to a bell that tolls on the outside when the subject is ready to let people back into the inner sanctum?

If he is sleeping in a tomb, as it appears, then he would have been "buried" with a bell to signal in case an egregious error had been made. "Saved by the bell" the saying goes...

Perhaps a lesson to be learned is, sure, go ahead and take a rest and ponder the meaning of life, but don't get so caught up that you end up lost in your thoughts. And here's a little bell for you to ring when you come out of it.

KK

p.s. Aries is sometimes referred to as "the Celestial Lamb."