The Goddess Religions

Pollux

Are there many goddess religions?
I thought they were one! HELP ME!

And... Someone made a difference between Pagan and Wicca.
??? I'm mystified ??? Please help!

tarotbear

OH NO !!!

PLEASE do not start the old "Are you a Pagan or a Witch?" debate all over again. This type of thing is always raging on the other AOL boards and people stand there and SCREAM at each other that "YOU"RE NOT A WITCH -I'M ONE AND YOU'RE NOT! YOU'RE A PAGAN!" constantly for hours and hours and hours.

It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in it.

Pollux

Quote:tarotbear (20 Jan, 2002 04:16):
OH NO !!!

PLEASE do not start the old "Are you a Pagan or a Witch?" debate all over again. This type of thing is always raging on the other AOL boards and people stand there and SCREAM at each other that "YOU"RE NOT A WITCH -I'M ONE AND YOU'RE NOT! YOU'RE A PAGAN!" constantly for hours and hours and hours.

It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in it.

I've no intention of starting one, man! *LOL*

I thought it was clear: I know the s**t about all those different religions; I only found out by chance that there were several, to my surprise. So I only wanted to learn more, and maybe understand how to get deeper in it and make up my very own mind.

As for the second point, you're screaming at someone (i.e. ME!) that is just asking you for explanations... I thought it wasn't that upsetting! >(
I don't mean to imply anything, nor to shout at someone I'm a witch while he/she's not...
I only wanted some help to make this clear, if ever possible. :(

I beg you to accept my apologies if these concepts were not clear enough...

In addition, I might agree on the point that
"It doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in it": the point was I wanted to realize if I ever believed in something, and how to call that something. Though this may sound stupid, I don't think a decent answer is so expensive... :(

jade

my perception of this is:

pagans love the earth and the goddess.

wiccans love the earth and the goddess and perform spellwork.

there are many different veins of these...just as with christianity.

in light,
hope that helps,
jade

and in defense of tarotbear.......i realize that your question was innocent, but there have been many many flame wars between people over this very topic. people can get very "my way is the only way" regarding the differences of these two belief systems. in my opinion, they are both the same and depending on the day, i'm an ecclectic pagan wiccan or somedays i'm just an ecclectic wiccan and then other days i'm just simply pagan. :)

confusing eh?

Jeanette

Now to add more fuel to the fire :) (I hope not really). My question is, could the Blessed Virgin Mother in Catholicism qualify as a type of goddess worship? I don't know anything about any goddesses in particular, I'm guessing every culture has many, but I do feel comfortable praying the rosary and having a BVM statue in my yard. But I'm really not a practicing Catholic, I'm quite far from it. But praying the rosary is so calming, so I'm just wondering how this fits in, if at all?

MeeWah

Mary, or the Blessed Mother can be seen as a goddess aspect; part of the whole concept of god/dess.
I was a member of a Marian prayer group. Our purpose as a group was to foster world peace via prayer as well as forging a relationship with Mary. Prayer for the well-being of our planet was routinely included.
Praying the rosary was part of each prayer-meditation within the group, as was praying to her for her intercession regarding the goal of world peace.
Those meditations were amongst some of the most powerful spiritual experiences I've ever had probably because within a group, the raising of power is magnified. Given the common cause, it strengthened the effect. Some of us also experienced Mary's presence, as well as the presence of Light entities.

Ceti

Quote:pollux (20 Jan, 2002 04:02):
Are there many goddess religions?

There have to be... People like to have their gods/goddesses look like them, for one thing. The beauty of the Goddess of A Thousand Names is that She accommodates these differences.

Jeanette's question about the Virgin Mary demonstrates how wonderfully pliant it all is. Some researchers have recognized the Virgin as the persistence of the Goddess (She refuses to just go away!).

Ceti

nexyjo

i agree that mary can certainly be seen as an aspect of the goddess. it's my understanding that her importance grew in catholocism as a direct result of people having grown used to a goddess in their worship, and when converting to catholocism, insisted on maintaining that relationship.

and i'll add my take on the "pagan/witch" controversy.
the term pagan was orginially used by judeo-christian people to define those who do not fall under either of those religions. modern pagans (or neo-pagans) reclaimed the term to define a group of religions that are nature based, and typically have either deities who are not the judeo-christian god, female in gender as well as male, or none at all - satanists would fall under the last group.

a witch is a pagan who practices witchcraft - the craft of the witch. that would include (but is not limited to) practices such as spellwork, use of herbs and roots for healing and other purposes, and other "natural" workings. some witches see witchcraft as their religion, others see it as a way of life without a religious association. all witches are pagan, but not all pagans are witches.

i'd also make a distinction between witches and wiccans, though many use the terms interchangably. wiccans follow a specific path, wicca, which was developed by gerald gardner in the 40's and 50's. they almost always use a goddess and god in their celebrations, and the use of polarity in the universe (male/female, projective/receptive energy, etc), along with the pursuit of balance of said energies, is almost universal. they follow the "wiccan rede", which in its condensed form reads "harm none". witches and pagans may or may not follow this tenent. an "eclectic wiccan" may employ a variety of other religious practices in her own practice - shammanistic techniques, native american, buddist, and/or a variety of other practices.

all wiccans are both witches and pagans by definition. my definition, anyway.

all three groups typically celebrate the equanoxes, solstices, and the points halfway between those times as their holidays.

i'll add that each pagan often defines what their religion means to them, outside the context of any pre-existing definition. thus all the controversy. we can be as bad as christianity when it comes to the acceptance and/or recognition of other traditions within the whole.

luv and light,
nexy

Pollux

HEY NEXY, THAT SURELY WAS AN ENLIGHTENING SHOT OF KNOWLEDGE! *LOSL*

These times I feel SO HAPPY to belong to this community! ;D ;D ;D

You managed to make me understand I'm a ... oops.
A wiccan, yes. ;D
Ther point is, I stop to theory. :(

I'd be so hugely grateful to anyone who could give me hints about books and stuff. Undoubtedly there must be tons.
PLEASE! Help my growth along this journey.
Even if I'll have to look for little likely Italian editions, I am also trying to order book via Shop.
Feltrinelli and Universal are the best around here.
Wish me GOOD LUCK! ALL OF YOU! >(

MeeWah

Pollux: There are many books available on the subjects of Paganism, Wicca & Witchcraft. Some are good, some not; however, that may depend on the individual view. The following are the ones I recommend for their educational value & general information. They all discuss the ethics as well as the practice.
"Wicca - A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. This explains the theory & the practice of Wicca; includes other pertinent information.
"True Magick: A Beginner's Guide" by Amber K. The author explains the nature of magick; discusses the practice of magick & Wicca; the wholistic approach.
"Teen Witch" by Silver RavenWolf. This book has received some negative responses, but it is still a well-written & interesting book, for teens & older.
"The Complete Art of Witchcraft" by Sybil Leek. An interesting book by a woman whose family tradition was the practice of witchcraft. I do not know if it is still in print.
Blessings on your research & endeavors!