The Great Tarot Controversy

Alta

Moderator note:

May I repeat:

Making up a motive for someone, and then running them down on the basis of the motive that you have ascribed to them is counter-productive. It personalizes the discussion in a way that reduces argument to name-calling.

Marion
co-Moderator, Talking Tarot

Baccus93

My Dear AT Friends

Whoops! Go throw a party on a Saturday night and wake up slightly hungover to log on to AT and find so much to read! :) Wow.

This brief post is not just a *bump* post, so I hope you don't assume that. I'm writing to let you know that I will indeed get back to this after much water, coffee, and breakfast and a few errands. I'm not dismissing a word that was said, so here's a foreshadowing of what I will say when I do return.

Thanks for being sensitive, but I'm not hurt. Perhaps if you knew me better, perhaps if my life was more personally entwined with yours, I might find hurt - but I don't know. I'm not hurt, thanks for the concern.

Some folks actually seem to have gotten it! :) I didn't talk myself out of my argument, that was my argument - that there need not be "the Great Controversy." But there is, and I wanted to discuss it.

In light of that - some have claimed that they haven't seen this controversy before and so I must have invented it. That's thoroughly plausible in a world of make-believe-news organs and sensationalist presses. Those same voices also claimed that no one here said anything of the flavor about the quality of my reading skills and so by posting my customer feedback I was being something-or-another of a bad sport. Well, that means you didn't really read it, because it does exist. And just because you didn't notice doesn't mean it wasn't there (I'll find the post where the writer said what was said about my skills and you'll know).

Sensational! Yes. I titled it "The Great Tarot Controversy." Very sensational. Baiting? Not for the sake of just causing a ruckus - but yes, it was designed to attract attention. Like "The Great Controversy" title given over debates of Good vs Evil, God vs The Devil, there was some intent in my words to stir emotion. There was a point to it, and a very good one. Sorry if you think I'm just being a troll. The truth is, I was looking to invite as many controversy seekers as possible. And you know what? Think about this... chances are, you're reading and responding simply because you too like a good row now and then. (But don't take that to mean that your responses don't also have quality to them... some very interesting things have been given me to think about and that's what I really wanted).

But there are so many things to get to in so many individual posts above this one. Thank you for giving me a plenty full Sunday worth of reading and writing ahead. I will get to several of those posts individually (in a single quote-and-paste post of my own, don't worry that I'll multi-post a bunch) and let you know that so much of it was indeed worth reading.

To sum up this early morning post of mine - some of you actually got it. Some of you are still making something personal out of it and I'm not sure if I can touch that for you. But as long as I feel this topic is worth discussing and as long as others will reach out to me, and as long as the moderators do not think this thread has lost value (or values), I will continue to enjoy it.

Now... enjoy your Sunday mornings. Here in Nebraska it is a beautiful 72 degrees and birds are chirping wonderful music to my ears. I'll be on the porch eating alfresco.

Baccus93

oh, real quick

I found out why people are not finding the "attack" (and I'm not taking it too personal btw) against the potential of my quality as a tarot reader... the post was edited for content by its author after the fact.

Here's the post in question... chopped down to a single statement so as to conceal what was originally posted.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1129871&postcount=19

So... yes... the post questioning my ability to read tarot accurately or skillfully or any way now does indeed no longer exist. Let's let that portion drop now I suppose.

firemaiden

ZenMusic said:
>"Ten of Disks" and I will tell you its divinatory meaning without having to look at a card. It means full satisfaction on the material plane.

. in that manner.. a computer can do a reading exactly like the one you'd give... .

Oh that one, Bacchus! Well, I've had some mighty fine computer readings and they turned out to be very accurate. (Especially the one's where Christine Payne Towler made uup the meanings). But I think ZenMusic was making the point that if you stick to standardized meanings alone, you might as well be a computer.

Baccus93

firemaiden said:
Oh that one, Bacchus! Well, I've had some mighty fine computer readings and they turned out to be very accurate. (Especially the one's where Christine Payne Towler made uup the meanings). But I think ZenMusic was making the point that if you stick to standardized meanings alone, you might as well be a computer.

Yes... I believe that indeed that was ZenMusic's point. But after the currently remaining portion of the post, it did later put into question that if I was using "keyword only" ideas that my quality was in question. But I won't worry about it now... we can assume so much about that post having been edited for content and I won't. Maybe ZenMusic decided to remove the portion in question for any number of reasons.

rebecca-smiles

I look forward to your responses Baccus.

I think the perplexity the thread has caused is because these various topics have been discussed else where over time here.

In response to firemaidens post above, for example, the merits of LWB meanings or computer readings has been discussed. We know how such meanings can be applied to all decks (or at least most; i can't say all; i haven't used more than a few decks!). We also discuss how those meanings change in context with sitters and within a spread.

I think some of the confusion comes from wondering why you brought this part up?

the kabbalah part is also discussed else where, as is the point about does the same card have different meanings in different decks, and such like. it could take quite a trawl through the search engine here but i'm sure i have read them.

Scion

Well, gang, you knew Old Loudmouth was gonna pop in here sooner or later, :D but I wanted a chance to read the whole thread from the top.

The initial post was baiting, but frankly, I don't mind that because I have no fear of debate and I love the discussion that's ensued. Still, the essential core of the "controversy" is rooted in a mistaken assumption. I'm gonna deal with that first.

Baccus93 said:
Of all the decks I own, and some that I've browsed through, I'll admit that some resonate better with me than others, but in none of the meanings assigned to them in what we call the Little White Books (LWB) have I found any differences.
The only thing I can say to this is that you haven't made a very good sampling of the decks available (a little like claiming that no one speaks anything but English because you grew up in rural Montana). Out of the 100s of decks I own I can think of 3 distinct, popular deck "strains" that often directly contradict each other: Golden Dawn, Levi-based, Spanish... Moreover, I can think of literally 30 decks that have one-off systems that buck the GD hegemony. So I think you're making your case on a biased sample.

To put your argument another way... GD decks are all Tarot, GD decks share meaning, all Tarot decks share meaning: that is what we call a syllogistic fallacy.
Baccus93 said:
What I have stated was that all the published interpretations boil down to the same. Why?? Because, as I have stated, they have all come from the same system.(snip) Read the LWB of any Tarot deck and you'll find the core of every assigned interpretation the same. And look into the systems I've mentioned, you'll find the roots.
No question: if you go to an apple orchard you are going to find apples. What you are proposing is what is known as a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy because you've equated sequence with causality. Many decks ARE GD-based, but that is because the Waite-Smith is the most popular deck in the United States (though not in Europe). Since it is popular, people know it and seek its brethren, and since publishers know this they produce decks that reflect its structure. That isn't a conspiracy or a secret society, that's capitalism.

Trouble is, even a casual survey of deck reviews will turn up decks that don't follow the Book T meanings. Folks grumble about these "anomalies" on AT all the time, because many folks expect the WS meanings to be universal, which they are not, categorically. To claim that they are says more about where and how you've been looking than establishing the existence any kind of controversy. If you poke your head into the Marseilles groups or almost any part of the Historical section, you might broaden your perspective.

I do think there are "great" controversies in esoterica, some of which have larger implications, but frankly the "dastardly LWB Agreement sham" is not one of them. To say so was baiting, pure and simple, and uninformed baiting at that. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc. With 10 minutes of research you could have demolished your own line of reasoning.

Baccus93 said:
It is painfully certain that Western Kabbalah and Tarot are definitely related, but not with Hebrew Kabbalah so much (which I think is the confusion).
Maybe painful, not so certain. If this read "Western Kabbalah and Tarot are NOW related" I would agree with you. But again post hoc ergo propter hoc which doesn't leave much room for discussion. The simple fact is, if you study a little history and a little religion, that statement will seem patently uninformed. For the record, I'm sure you know that Judaism is not big on depictions of the supernal... "graven images" and all. Although cases have been made for QBLH's relation to Tarot, they are tenuous and speculative at best. And the vast brangle of different QBLH is too complicated and polyvalent to even approach in this thread. So too, what we know of Tarot history brings the minors through Islamic North Africa (hardly jewish-friendly) into medieval Europe, with the Trumps popping up mysteriously in the 15th century in northern Italy. Not so much with "painful obviousness" of the Jewish mystical connection. But again, I think a little research is indicated.
Baccus93 said:
it will be accurate for every deck. And my readings will accurately apply.
This IS interesting to me, and it's something that many people have discussed many times in many threads: the idea that the reader and not the reading system is the source of the reading. But again, not especially controversial. If someone is a crappy reader, no deck will be "great" in their hands, and if someone is great, gregory's 78 index cards will work wonders. Still, not so controversial a statement.

Baccus93 said:
To me, if you haven't got a grasp of the basic astrological and qabalistic symbolisms behind Tarot, and therefore don't have the answer to "why is that meaning assigned to such and such card", you aren't likely very accurate.
I half agree with you here. I don't agree that you MUST know the astrological, Qabalistic structures to get a good read, but I do think (as I've said in any number of other threads on this topic) you will give a better read if you aren't just spitting back someone else's prechewed astrology or QBLH without knowing why. Not all astrology or QBLH comes from reading books; frankly lots of people pick up a lot of both from the cards directly because most modern decks are self-conciously designed to be used in studying both esoteric branches.

Mastery arises from effort, the more the better. This is one of the reasons I suggested above that you look into history and religion a little more before stating "painfully obvious" assumptions. Knowledge is good. But people come to life with different passions and abilities, so I'm certainly not going to assume everyone will learn the same material the same way at the same juncture. We are not insects! Anyone who picks up a Book-T-based deck is studying Book T whether they like it or not. And some people don't want to read Book T. Gnosis is critical and subjective and hard-won.

Baccus93 said:
Who's ego is really going to be offended when I tell you that I believe you're wrong?
Certainly not mine, though I'm still not sure what I was supposed to be "wrong" about. And to be frank, I don't know where you've decided you're "right." I went back over your posts, but there isn't an argument per se, more a series of narrow observations... Golden Dawn decks are based on the Golden Dawn: Ummm, okay... no disagreements there. Golden Dawn decks are popular, yep :thumbsup: and Stuart Kaplan has the fortune to prove it. Golden Dawn decks are the original and only Tarot, the best, most coherent, most accurate, most historically sound, most direct path to divine communication ever invented and they predate the solar system: Nope. :confused: But, Baccus, that isn't a controvery either, because it is literally foolish to suggest that anyone would make claims like that for something invented less than a century ago.

I love the discussion you've inspired, but the baiting does have a way of inciting ire. From the good humor and intelligence, you've shown in the thread, I'm hoping your ego won't be bruised either if I suggest you do a little more investigating before making claims. Not because baiting hurts anyone, but because it puts people in the position of calling you uninformed.

Scion

firemaiden

jmd, since you're here, perhaps we could compile a list for our friend Bacchus, and anyone else who is craving a bit of controversy, of the various kinds of topics discussed exhaustively on AT, which have been vaguely touched on here. These boxing-rings should provide entertainment for a while: A few debates I can think of:

1) Kabalistic attributions: 0=1 versus 1=1 (The Fool is Shin? or the Fool is Aleph, or the Magician is Aleph, etc.)
In History you will find hundreds of threads on this.

2) Elemental Attributions: Swords = Fire vs Water? (etc.), and whether elemental attributions have any value, or should we be concentrating instead on the implement itself (coin/cup etc. as jmd mentioned) In Using Tarot Cards, you will find dozens of threads this.

3) Numerological Attributions: There are several aspects to this
--- Justice = VIII / Strength XI and vice-versa
----how the fool is numbered: The Fool is zero versus the fool is un-numbered (many threads in Using Tarot Cards, and History)
---placement of the fool in the deck: the fool is the first card versus, the fool goes right before the world (??) or the fool goes last, or it is a card on a journey making lots of stops.
----The cards were originally not numbered at all? of the cards have gone through many stages, the order of the cards has shifted around many times... etc. (see History)

4) Astrological Attributions: here's one you might like: Is the planet order really a mess? [YES] Perhaps my friend jmd can help point us to some others.

5) French versus the English: There is one true and original deck (the Marseille - but which one??) versus - the Anglo-saxon-centric view (RWS) which states that "France? where's France?".

6) Reading with scenic pips vs. non-scenic pips, pictures are better vs. pictures are training wheels, etc. (this is a topic seem to have gotten over)

7) How to read? Using standardized pre-written meanings vs. making it up yourself everytime (and whether there is really a difference) etc.​

Once you run out of controversies on what makes up a "standard" tarot meaning, you might like to investigate the controversies on tarot origins in history. A few of my favorites:
--Is there ONE "Ur-tarot", or are there several?
--French origin vs. Italian origin.
--the pictures on the cards are deep an meaningful archetypes or a key to some mystery (like Jesus' daughter = the black virgin, or the Cathar heresy, or the Templars secrets etc.) VERSUS - the pictures are just put there so you could tell one trump from another in the game.​

Have fun :D

EDITED TO ADD: Scion - your post went up while I was writing mine. Very interesting post!! Thank you!

Sophie

By heck, I go and rub noses with the elephants for a couple of days, and what do I find???

CharmingPixie said:
I think the controversey is that we are all supposed to have reacted with shock and horror and a mass shattering of ego's upon learning the undeniable truth from Bachus that we are all, on mass, wrong.
But aren't we? We all know (or should know) that the One True Tarot is the Tarot of Marseille (without a final S: and please don't speak to me of the many variants of said TdM); and the One True Interpretation of the Tarot of Marseille is the one given to us, as a Revelation, by the late great Paul Marteau. He showed us the Tarot in its unadulterated form, before it was infected by all these Quabalahs and Kabbalahs and QBLHs and astrologies, and Levi vs the Golden Dawn, and Shamanistic overlays (or is that underwear?), and feminist, cat-loving, Prague-loving, mythologised, baroque Rock n'Roll. Unfortunately for those who don't read French, translation of his work is not readily available (and unfortunately for me, I left his book in Europe, and neglected to memorize it). That leaves a handful of French-speaking At'ers who own the Marteau along with a copy of the original 1930s Grimaud. They are right. I can't think of many who qualify. Ergo, we are "all" (or nearly all) wrong. But that's OK. I can live with being wrong. I would hate to be called narrow or syllogistic :D

Let's remember that Bacchus is the god of wine - maybe our Bacchus was having a Bacchanalia, and it would be inexcusable for us to hold against him anything that he said or did during one of those }).

Scion

Fudugazi said:
the Tarot of Marseille (without a final S...
Ssssorry, Sssssophie. I ssslipped. :D