The Hallmark Tarot

rwcarter

This deck originally came to light in the Another Mystery Deck Question thread. It's now published as The Hallmark Tarot by 7th House. Many of the cards in progress can be seen in the creation thread over in Tarot Deck Creation.

The cards themselves seem to have a matte finish and relatively thick cardstock. The cardstock is thicker than that of Lo Scarabeo decks, for example. The stacked deck is ~1-3/16" or 30mm high. The cards themselves measure 2-3/4" x 4-15.5/16" or 70mm x 126 mm. The card have black borders and black backs. The design on the back is the lantern, light and stars from the Hermit card, so the backs are not reversible.

There are both Caucasian and darker-skinned folks sprinkled throughout the deck in a random manner. (It's not like there's a suit of darker-skinned people as with some decks.)

The deck is definitely a RWS clone.

For those who didn't follow the creation thread, this is a family-friendly deck. (It's actually based off a deck called the Friendly Tarot.) So where there is nudity, parts are covered up (as in the Lovers where a huge star hides the chest and genitals of the couple).

Some of the Majors have been renamed - Strength (8) is Passion, Justice (11) is Balance, Judgement is The Tree of Life and The World is The Universe.

The coloring of the deck is bright and vibrant without being garish (in my opinion). I don't know that I have a favorite card or cards but there are a number of cards that I'll need to work with in order to fully understand their point of view.

On first glance, the LWB (which has the same dimensions as the cards) is better than most. It gives upright and reversed interpretations, but also includes a description of what's pictured in the cards (and in purple at that!)

Overall, I'm very pleased with this deck.

Rodney

Hannafate

I'm not particularly happy about all the typos in the LWB. If you want the meaning of the nine of pentacles, just e-mail me, and I will send it to you.

Also, the diagram for how to lay out the cards (celtic cross) is missing. Most of you already know how the celtic cross works, so it's not that big a deal, but I can send you that, too, if you want.

Cerulean

I like it as a variation

If I wanted a deck with Connolly or Hanson Roberts coloring done in a finished silk screen richness, this is the deck. A few of the characters have big hair that might be different-purple for instance...or bright boots more manga-like--say green or purple to match their tunics.

I like the clean and consistent style and as the booklet says its designed as a reading deck with a cc layout, I think that is unique. I think the deck primarily uses only one human character per card except for the Lovers, Two of Cups, Three of Cups
And Six of Cups, Tower, Devil and Sun. Those cards will usually have a man or woman. In my eyes the focus is more on a singular individual moving through many RWS tarot scenes.

The Moon is lovely to me and their Tree instead of Judgement is fun.

Best

Cerulean

P.S. I will definitely keep it with my Mage pick as family friendly and good for everyday reflection. Mage in contrast might have more sweeping scenes for story reflection.

faunabay

I've been thinking about this deck just because of the family friendly vibe to it. I also like the bright, almost fantasy, colors. It's a "hmmmmm.......I'm seriously thinking about it" deck right now. :D

Quester

I have also wondered about this deck. Looks like one I would like, but have had to cut back. I hope to order it in the future though! Looks like it would give GREAT readings!!

ann823

If you have this deck how are you liking it? How does it read?

Ann

jujustar

I was really interested in buying this deck, and actually had it in my cart. until i got to the International Shipping small print and nearly fell under the table. the choice is UPS - at $100+, or regular airmail $25+ for which i take all responsibility for loss or damage.

think ill wait till i can get it some other way....it sucks living here sometimes

rwcarter

jujustar,

I'm guessing that was from the publisher. Have you tried purchasing from the artist? (There should be details in the deck creation thread.)

Rodney

Wendywu

Thanks for the heads-up rodney :) I ordered direct from the author and it was cheaper ($20) and shipping to the UK was only $12 - well worth it.

And aaargh - I suddenly realised I'm supposed to be on a deck-buying holiday and I forgot. No, I genuinely forgot! Ah well, too late now.

gregory

Yes indeed. I shall never be ordering from 7th House; I have explained to them till I am blue in the face that I am happy to have stuff sent ordinary mail and take the risk of loss but they won't have it.

Poor old Darla - though I HOPE she gets more money when we buy direct, anyway ? It's a lovely deck :)