The Idea Thread

GryffinSong

i'm thinking i'm thinking.... lol

i like the idea of pulling cards and discussing.... anyone else up for it?

I'm headed into a couple of very busy weeks, but if I can concentrate, I'm happy to participate.

Grizabella

Well, I actually haven't really journaled myself. :p But if you write anything down, it will stick with you a lot longer than if you don't. That's a proven fact. So since it seems like everyone thinks they have to approach learning Tarot like a class in school, it makes sense to me that a journal might do it for them.

Don't throw stuff at me----I've just never seen the point in doing a journal myself because I'm so busy doing everything else I do manage to accomplish that it seemed silly to sit and do that. It worked better for me to learn by doing and by reading posts here.

There just are no shortcuts, though. It takes what it takes. You have to put in the time and the effort and it can't come from anything or anyone outside yourself. Tarot is different for everyone and just because you get a mentor or buddy with somebody else isn't going to change that. And I don't really believe it's done the best that way.

I think what a lot of people are actually wishing for is a real life contact---a friend---they can share this interest with because it's hard to find for most folks in their own areas. But a formal AT mentor or buddy system isn't going to give that. Reaching out to other people and getting to know them is what it takes and we've all done that who have been here any length of time. It just happens almost on its own when you're an active forum member for any length of time.

Jes

I think what a lot of people are actually wishing for is a real life contact---a friend---they can share this interest with because it's hard to find for most folks in their own areas. But a formal AT mentor or buddy system isn't going to give that. Reaching out to other people and getting to know them is what it takes and we've all done that who have been here any length of time. It just happens when you're an active forum member.

<smiles> Hit the nail on the head with that one... :)

I'm working on it i promise. :grin:

gregory

Well, I actually haven't really journaled myself. :p
THAT'S FUNNY :D

Don't throw stuff at me----I've just never seen the point in doing a journal myself because I'm so busy doing everything else I do manage to accomplish that it seemed silly to sit and do that. It worked better for me to learn by doing and by reading posts here.
I didn't intend to throw anything but confetti, and I agree with you on this one.

I think what a lot of people are actually wishing for is a real life contact---a friend---they can share this interest with because it's hard to find for most folks in their own areas. But a formal AT mentor or buddy system isn't going to give that. Reaching out to other people and getting to know them is what it takes and we've all done that who have been here any length of time. It just happens almost on its own when you're an active forum member for any length of time.
Yup. :D

Mellifluous

You know, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I just think anything worth having is worth working for. I don't think that buddying up to help someone else so they don't have to do the work is especially attractive to me.

Neither do I and that wasn't the point of my post, if it's my post you're responding to with this comment. It's to have someone to check in with about how the work is going for you. :joke: You missed the whole point.

I think if they have to work a little, learn how to use search features without expecting someone else to have done it for them, and read through threads to glean their own information it's going to stick with them better and have more meaning than if someone else buddy's up with them to make it easier for them.

I wasn't talking about learning to use a forum. Personally, I don't think that can be taught or made easier, unless you have someone sat next to you, in person, in front of the computer.

I was talking about having someone to talk to about learning tarot, and yes, to study 'with'.

This idea simply reflects the problem with schooling that I have a LOT of trouble with. Tarot isn't like that. Tarot is an individual skill. It's not something you can sit a bunch of people down with, stand one teacher at the front of the class, and then let the teacher tell you what to pound into your brain so you do it the "right" way. You're not in school anymore. You're big boys and girls who are interested in learning to use Tarot cards, and as such, you have to stand on your own two feet and learn how it works for YOU. You have to learn to work with your right brain, not pound stuff into your left brain, and nobody can teach you how to do that.

Now I'm doubting you were responding to my post, because I addressed the same things...

However, I don't think it is a problem with schooling, and I don't think tarot is 100% different from intellectual or academic pursuits. Largely different, yes. (And I said the same thing above.) There's still a lot of things to learn in the very beginning though and it's daunting.

When I was in school, I studied with people - both in terms of

- going to the library (or some space, somewhere) with others, even if we were taking completely different subjects or if we didn't discuss subjects we had in common on our breaks but rather the stress (and sometimes joy) of studying itself; and

- in terms of discussing the actual subject, asking each other questions, quizzing each other, discussing books and lectures, etc. You still do 99% of the work on your own and you each earn your own grade (or degree) at the end, if you complete the course(s).

The best way you can learn it is by doing what we're already doing. If there were a better way, I'm sure the forum would be set up so we'd be doing it that way instead of this way. :)

Think of it this way. Nobody can TELL you how to love. You have to learn it by feeling it, and it's the same way with Tarot. It's not done by dry facts you can memorize that some teacher gives out to you.

No, this forum is not the be all and end all best way of doing anything. Sorry. It's just a forum. lol However, it's here to be used in aid of tarot-related pursuits.

And, no, it's not like love. Sorry, but that analogy doesn't work at all. Tarot isn't a basic emotion or relationship you have no choice but to experience. It's a skill and an art and a craft - one that an individual chooses to learn for whatever reason.

Again, the point of my post was getting away from looking for 'teachers' and just finding companions (fellow students) along the way.

Sorry you have such a visceral reaction to the author of that book's idea, and to my posting it here in case it helps people, but you're not a newbie (just as I am not) and I don't see why it would effect you one way or the other if people want to use it.

ETA (just saw this in a later comment of yours):

But a formal AT mentor or buddy system isn't going to give that.

There is nothing formal about this buddy idea. :confused: In fact, it's much less formal than the reading circles here, for one example. It's two people deciding amongst themselves to support each other, via internet, for a while. lol

Mellifluous

I like this.

and I will definetly try and find myself a noob twin!

you should make a thread about it , where people post about their aproach to tarot how they use it and what they are learning and if they want someone wit a similar aproach or somebody with a completly diferent style!

I might just make the thread myself XD lol

Aww, cool! I hope it works out for you and is helpful. :D

I thought about starting a new thread, but decided it was better to pass it along here, with the other ideas. I figure opening a separate thread about it is best left to someone who's going to actually try it, since I'm not a newbie anymore. ;)

Good luck and have fun! :)