The Maidens & Monsters Tarot

Alamaris

After getting the Lazy Afternoon into the shop, finishing the Mathematics Tarot book, and sending the Sapphist Lenormand off to proof, I felt I deserved a break. Something relaxing.

So, clearly, I started making a new tarot deck! :p

I've been calling this one the Lazy Afternoon's Big Sister in my head, since it's also done in markers on cardstock, but with a few more years of artistic improvement under my belt. It's also a little more personally symbolic than the Lazy Afternoon, a compilation of the things I've studied over the last few years that make my brain happy.

The Fool is based on an obscure Christian myth about St. Christopher that states he was of the race of dog-headed men, the Cynocephali; he was said to have long flowing hair and great boarlike fangs, and that after considering God for many years, he was granted the gift of human speech by an angel. The standard St. Christopher legend portrays him as a very tall, very strong man who often carried people across a fierce river. When one day a child asked Christopher to carry him to the other side, Christopher found that the child seemed to double in weight with each step he took, until he could barely make it across, whereupon the child revealed that he was Christ, and that Christopher had been carrying the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. He was later martyred after several hilariously failed attempts at murder by a Roman king, and was sometimes considered the patron saint of fools.

The others are a little less obscure, though no less symbolic (I just don't have time to write out paragraphs for all of them, as I must rush to the post office!): Loki, shapeshifting trickster and god of fire is the Magician. The Priestess is an owl-headed woman before an Afghan mosque. The Empress is a dryadic woman with a horn of plenty.

I'm hoping to do at least one of these per day. I hope y'all enjoy them!

Attachments

• 0 the fool.png
    0 the fool.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 1 magician.png
    1 magician.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 2 priestess.png
    2 priestess.png
    274 KB · Views: 208
  • 3 empress.png
    3 empress.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 196

MoonGypsy

ooooh, i am really liking the looks of these!!! :thumbsup: Good for you, Alamaris!

i especially love the Priestess and the Empress! :love:So many layers of meaning...

And i really love all the gorgeous colors you are using...

Alamaris

The Emperor and the Hierophant are done!

The two-headed Emperor faces east and west simultaneously, with the world as represented by a royal T-O map in front of him. The T-O (or Beatus) map is an extremely basic conception of the ancient world which divides it simply into three zones separated by oceans: Africa, Asia, and Europe, with Jerusalem as the imaginative center.

The Hierophant is a history-keeper instructing children; she holds the Ishango Bone in her hand, which may be the oldest known record of mathematical skill in pre-modern man, and behind her are quipu ropes, an ancient method of recording numbers and information.

Back sometime tomorrow with the Lovers!

Attachments

• 4 emperor.png
    4 emperor.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 5 hierophant.png
    5 hierophant.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 176

merissa_88

These cards are especially beautiful. I love theme decks!

truelighth

Very nice cards. I am still awaiting your Lazy Afternoon Tarot in the post, but I am certainly going to follow the progress on this deck :D.

garmonbozia

Will this deck have a LWB?

strings of life

"Watch this Thread" enabled.

Alamaris, I love the look of these! Creative and symbolically rich without feeling cluttered.

MoonGypsy

Yoohoo, Alamaris....:)

Curious about this one, are there any updates, Alamaris?

Also, curious about your Sapphist Lenromand...

Marcalic

Oh my goodness these are fascinating. I'm trying to pick my favorite and I seriously can't. I can't wait to see more!