The meaning of the signs on The High Priestess

Rosanne

Hi Fen. Firstly I see a connection with the Pillars on the HP, the Moon and Death this way.(On the Death and Moon cards they are more like Towers and not Pillars) The High Priestess is card 2 In the Phoenician Alphabet(from thence Hebrew) is Beith,Beth,Beyt etc it means House or temple or dwelling. The High Priestess is thought to be in part The Goddess of the Moon and her temple the Moon Temple. Two pillars often one black and one white symbolise bi Polarity the dual aspect of the Divine. The white is masculine and the black Feminine. On Death I think they form Heavens Gate- the way to enter the temple or the passing between worlds. On the Moon card we are closer to the towers. All three cards have a water aspect to them for me. The Moon causing tides is just one aspect of Water. So when I think the Pillars on the HP are important I see Light and dark- inner life versus outer life -Here we need to learn about mystery or inner experience - go past the pillars into your inner temple. I hope this helps a little ~Rosanne

aibhlin

rachelcat said:
I Kings 7:15-22 (New International Version)

15 He [King Solomon] cast two bronze pillars, each eighteen cubits high and twelve cubits around, by line. 16 He also made two capitals of cast bronze to set on the tops of the pillars; each capital was five cubits high. 17 A network of interwoven chains festooned the capitals on top of the pillars, seven for each capital. 18 He made pomegranates in two rows encircling each network to decorate the capitals on top of the pillars. He did the same for each capital. 19 The capitals on top of the pillars in the portico were in the shape of lilies, four cubits high. 20 On the capitals of both pillars, above the bowl-shaped part next to the network, were the two hundred pomegranates in rows all around. 21 He erected the pillars at the portico of the temple. The pillar to the south he named Jakin and the one to the north Boaz. 22 The capitals on top were in the shape of lilies. And so the work on the pillars was completed.

Footnotes:
Jakin probably means he establishes.
Boaz probably means in him is strength.

www.biblegateway.com is a great resource!

I always wondered about this, and somewhere at the back of my head I had a nagging feeling it was a biblical reference, thank you so much for clearing it up for me! And it also explain the pommogranates.

Honda Civic

I'd like to add that Jewish tradition claims that the pomegranate is a symbol of righteousness, since it contains 613 seeds, which is the number of commandments in the Torah (the actual number of seeds varies).

Teheuti

Umbrae said:
The point of view of the High Priestess card places you IN THE TEMPLE!!!

She guards the EGRESS!!!
I agree that the pov shows that the viewer is in the temple, but she doesn't necessary block the egress. Here is a photo from our Tarot trip to Egypt, taken from inside a temple of Isis at Philae. We're looking out at a platform for viewing the sunrise (which we'd just done). The temple entrance is at my back. We're in the midst of our sunrise celebration (when we had the place to ourselves).

I added another view of the temple where you have a Nile view of the outside platform as we are leaving.

Attachments

• Philae.jpg
    Philae.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 160
  • PhilaeTemple.jpg
    PhilaeTemple.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 161

re-pete-a

Fulgour said:
Is the letter B (white) on the black pillar for black or white..?
Same too the letter J (black) on the white pillar...which is it?
for printing purposes,otherwise the pillars would be blank,also there's a little of the other in each,that first bit is true/false,the markings make them noticeable from the rest of the structure of life........re-pete-a

re-pete-a

veil

the veil between the pillars is a blockage or bar to the next phase,the moon represents the darker side of the mental lit or bought to the conscious level by the moon when the conscious is clear the veil is found to be made only of fruits of thought,and seeds of doubt,becoming a tangled vine of life,beliefs bought to light and examined,can be carried or discarded,Isis the examiner of the mind/soul
...............makes sense to me,

Teheuti

Waite's understanding of these symbols is so much deeper then people would ever believe. The material is "occult," or hidden, simply because each image alludes to so many fields and works with which you have to have familiarity to get the references. The fact that the images can also be read entirely intuitively is the pure genius of it, in great part added through the intuitive brilliance and deceptive simplicity of Pamela Colman Smith.

For instance, regarding the palm and pomegranate veil:

“The sex of Metatron is said to be transformed momently before the veil of palms and pomegranates on the threshold of the inmost shrine in the Supernals. In the indistinguishable state which arises it may be said almost that the male is with the female and neither male nor female: at least they are both or either. . . .

"The mystery if the whole subject is that the Mother in transcendance abides with the male only in so far as he has constituted himself a house by his attachment to the female: there must be a local habitation, an union below to offer a point of contact with the union that is on high, and then the Divine Mother pours down her blessings thereon – that is to say, on male and female in equal measures. So is the male below said to be encompassed by two females, and all the ways of blessings in the two worlds are open before him. He reads the Secret Doctrine in the womanhood on earth, and it is read by her who sits between the pillars of the eternal Temple with the Book of the Secret Law lying open on her sacred knees." (_Secret Doctrine in Israel_, Waite.)

It's interesting that so many people have discerned a certain male quality in Smith's depiction of the High Priestess.

I hope you got the reference to the male (Magician) being the house (Beth). And the reference to the Lovers (the male encompassed by two females). We also now know that the HP's book is that of the Secret Doctrine/Law. But, why are her knees sacred?

Regarding Metatron: In the GD, this is the archangel of Kether and the most powerful of all Hebrew archangels, said to be the archangel who governs the entire Tree of Life and the white pillar specifically. He is also right-hand Kerub of the Ark of the Covenant. Metatron is sometimes identified as Jesus: the glory of God and the highest angel. Waite, on occasion, equates Metatron with the Shekinah: "The Father, the Mother and the Begotten Son are Chokmah, Binah and Daath, overshadowing the lower Sephiroth. These three are symbolized by Yod, He, and Vau in the Sacred Name, while the He final, the Bride in manifestation is in Malkuth since the legendary Fall, so that the kingdom of this world may become in the fullness of the Messianic day the Kingdom of Heaven. Outside these there is Kether, and it should be noted in this connection that Jehovah abides, in the deep hiddenness, with Shekinah in that Supernal Sephira. As the first of created things she becomes Metatron."

An unpublished GD manuscript tells us this regarding the transition from the 10 of Wands to the Ace of Cups (in the Trees of the 4 Worlds): "Thus in Atziluth the Archetypal World it passes from Eheieh the Creative Breath to Adonai Malekh. This gives its impulse to Kether of Briah the Archangelic World, and in this plane it passes from Metatron the Male Kerub to Sandalphon the Female Kerub."

Mary

Teheuti

Re: the "Secret Doctrine" that is the book on her "sacred knees" (see prior post):

“The Secret Doctrine is a House or Temple, within which is the Eternal Wisdom . . . that which is hidden in the Eternal Thought and never unveiled or perceived.” (_The Secret Tradition in Freemasonry_, Waite).

“When portrayed as Our Lady of Wisdom, she [the Virgin Mary] is represented reading the seventh chapter of the Wisdom of Solomon opened at the words, “For she is the breath of the power of God and a pure influence flowing from the glory of the Almighty.” [Bayley, i233]

The Torah itself has been likened to a veiled lady: “She [The Torah] is like unto a beautiful and stately damsel, who is hidden in a secluded chamber of a palace. . . . The Torah, which reveals her hidden secrets only to those who love her. . . . Then she speaks to him from behind a thin veil of a finger mesh, discoursing riddles and parables. . . . When at last he is familiar with her she shows herself to him face to face and converses with him concerning all her hidden mysteries and all the mysterious ways which have been secreted in her heart from time immemorial” (the Zohar, Mishpatim (Exodus) II,99a).

Mary

Rosanne

This is very interesting Mary. I find it interesting that Islamic writings of modesty (Cleanness/cleansing) is the the Chador or veil women wear derives from the four corners of a house/temple/Harem and it's use is required to draw the 'Temple' of the Chador/veil close around their body to protect their cleanness/modesty. Apparently there is an association that the veil is masculine in terms of it been the Temple/house/Harem. I had always thought of the building as feminine- but apparently not. The water pools outside the temple are symbolically 'modest' like gold from deep in the ground/pearls deep in the sea their wealth is protected- just like a woman is protected and kept clean. This value is often overlooked by westerners I guess, and seen as control not protection of what is valuable. I am told it is considered unclean for women to show their knees in Islamic country still (Like Egypt); and why women often stay within the confines of their home--the male Beth- the four pillars. I, for one did not understand Waite's deep understanding of the symbols. Thank you.
~Rosanne

re-pete-a

Observers position

a north position,.................a southern position............... Eastern or Western,,no matter how one places it ,you are the central point,the center , ......Isis stands in front of you.... she must be dealt with before one can move on,in any direction chosen.One must pass Isis first.Then the veil,,,,,,,,,,,,ISIS has many veils to pass.