The "other", back side of the cards

M-Press

Hi there!
I'm about to finish finally my deck for real, and the only thing I can't seem to pin down is the back side of the cards...

I've heard many times, that people look at it sometimes even first, and that it's very important... I feel the same, as if the back side is a summary of the whole deck, even while it has a different look...

I would go with the symmetric look, so it will be good for reversed cards, but still, i'm in a creative little chaos for that...

I would like to ask you, what backs do you like an why?

Myself I have some favorites, but the idea here is to come up a unique solution, but first I have to understand the "deep issues" of it...
Personally I like the back side of the Shining Woman, the Tarot of Prague, and the Medieval Scapini, just off the top of my head...
Besides that, I remember I got scared when I saw the back side of the Light and Shadow deck... I think I'll keep those cards face up forever!
And then are the ones with the repeating patterns... Hm...

Any light on that mysterious side of the cards?

thanks!

baba-prague

Hi - and big congratulations on finishing! It is a marathon isn't it? But there is something SO wonderful when you can finally see 78 cards in front of you. Well done - and I look forward to seeing the deck.

On the backs of Tarot of Prague, well we deliberately went for reversible-until-you-look-closely. so when you use the cards, they are so nearly reversible that you can't tell which way up they are (well, at least I have never been able to) but when you look very closely, in fact the symbols are different. We were very inspired by an old Oracle deck here (by Tesar) which has a very complex back in which you can see all sorts of symbols - but only if you look closely. In fact, I think you can only actually see what is on our backs if you look under a magnifying glass - then there are some surprises and some complex symbolism - all taken from a Rennaissance building here. We also put the "charm against demons" on the back. Well, it's a palindrome, so truly reversible, plus I just loved the idea of each card being a charm in its own right.

Anyway, from all this you can gather that our back took at least as long as one of the "front" images - longer in fact than many. But to us, the back is very important. I feel disappointed by decks where the back looks like an afterthought.

However, many would disagree and think that the backs are not important (historically, card backs have usually been quite plain - just an overall pattern) so while I would say to you "Spend time on the backs, it's worth it", in terms of sales/reviews and so on, to be honest it may make no difference. Follow what you feel :)

ALl best wishes - and congrats again.

Ruby7

The backs of the cards are not too important to me, although I do appreciate when they are nice and artistically done, I am also quite content with a nice pattern, as long as the pattern somehow relates to the overall essence of the particular deck of cards. Congratulations on finishing your deck :).

Ruby7h

Lady Eclipse

Hello!

Many congrats on finishing your creation! I know exactly how you feel when you look at your completed work of art.

What you're asking really depends on the theme of your deck but I think the back design is just as important as the rest of the cards because this is the one image that's repeated unlike the front side.

I've completed two decks and have another two that are works in progress. What I did for each one was to tie the back design to the theme of the deck. I think it makes more sense to do this both physically and psychologically. I've seen decks where the back didn't appear to fit with the rest of the design. I felt it looked awkward, like a structure that wasn't quite completed. Picture a house missing it's roof and you instantly see what I mean.

My Lady Eclipse Tarot was not created with reversals in mind but the design worked beautifully because it still fit with the deck.

My second deck, the Soul Reflections Tarot was also tied into the theme of the deck with the reversals carefully thought out and the end result has been called "exceptional."

My Catch a Falling Star Tarot also has a back designed to fit with the deck and for reversals. So does the back for my fourth deck.

I can only offer my advice and my own personal experiences but in the end, you will be the one that decides what looks and feels right to you. I look forward to seeing your deck! ;-)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Le_Corsair

To me, whether the backs are reversible is less important than whether they are aesthetically pleasing. This is a very subjective topic, as no one's tastes entirely coincide. But as one of our American reality shows proved once again, looks win out over personality, so maybe all I have proved is American shallowness! :laugh:

I like backs in dark colors, burgundy or navy blue, with silver or gold accents. The Cagliostro Tarot by Modiano has a lovely back, navy blue with an astrological wheel in bronze in the center, with Modiano's trademark in the hub of the wheel. Tarot of Prague is another lovely deck back, I agree with what Baba Prague posted earlier. I like symmetry in a card back. The Golden Rider Tarot is a good example of this. Robin Ator's soon-to-be-released International Icon Tarot is also symmetrical, and attractively minimalist.

Bob :THERM

Moonbow

Hi and congratulations, you must feel elated at all your hard work!

A good test for me is to do a large spread with the cards face down. I like the spreads that look like mandalas. Gendron is very good for this as is the voyager. I'm not keen on black backs. Allthough backs are important, if I liked the fronts and not the backs so much, I would still buy the deck. I dont read for others (yet) but it is important that the 'customer' is not affended, I think. I think a mid blue is always a pleasing colour too. Good Luck M-Press.

Moonbow* :)

Majecot

I prefer a deck that has some simple imagery on the backs.. obviously that is not as important as the faces.
I like the backs of Quest and Rohrig and Shapeshifter ...
I do NOT like the back of Haindl... too freaky with that eyeball looking at me :eek:

I think something simple that reflects the general theme of the cards would be good. Choose colors that complement :)

skytwig

Wow, I am in awe.... I would like to do a deck, as i am an artist, but can't decide whether I "should".... how did you decide, mpress, how long has it taken you and what is your medium?

I agree with majecot.... keep it simple.... plain black is very appropriate to Tarot.....

congrats!

skytwig :)

PS.... accolades to baba and lady, too!!! :)

Lady Eclipse

skytwig said:
Wow, I am in awe.... I would like to do a deck, as i am an artist, but can't decide whether I "should".... how did you decide, mpress, how long has it taken you and what is your medium?

I agree with majecot.... keep it simple.... plain black is very appropriate to Tarot.....

congrats!

skytwig :)

PS.... accolades to baba and lady, too!!! :)

Hello again Skytwig!

I think the real question is, why shouldn't you create a deck? :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

skytwig

Lady Eclipse said:
Hello again Skytwig!

I think the real question is, why shouldn't you create a deck? :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Well..... It's that Focus thing.... where to focus my energies.... I know if I do a deck, it means lots and lots of time.... I use colored pencils and I am very detailed oriented.....

But I did get an idea this morning, chatting in another thread, and it might just be too inspiring to ignore......

There is a wonderful quote that i used to have on my frige, i don't know who said it, but:

If you don't write your book, who will?
Kind of applies here......

I think I shall consider your question in my journal today and see what comes up..... thanx Maralee :)