The "other", back side of the cards

Lady Eclipse

Skytwig,

Yes, creating your own tarot masterpiece can be very time consuming but I believe you will find it was worth it in the end. You'll have a creation that is uniquely and truly YOURS and I can guarantee you there's nothing quite like that feeling! :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Moonbow

M-Press - do you have any pics for us yet?? Just a little preview?? We wont tell anyone............promise........

Moonbow* :)

M-Press

Oh, thank you, thank you all for your advice, comments and support!

I must say, that I already had all 78 done like a month ago, but I'm still in deep-revisions stage...
The hanged man and the Queen of Cups, are my eternal tortures!!!
So, somehow, I feel as if I can not celebrate yet... I also start to write the book that will go with it in january, so I'm still in the cooking... slow steaming that would be!

Regarding pics, you can take a look at the style at what I have on my website:
http://www.sakki-sakki.com/creative_process/creative_process.html
I've been very bad in updating my site...I just have no time!

Right now I'm in NY selling my art prints! Today I'm at home , (and next to a computer), due to a snow-storm! It's wild out there! I sell my stuff outdoors, so...!

When I'll get back to the "real" work, maybe I'll do a few backs, and post them for a vote!!! Unless the right one will speak to me...

Regarding the task of creating a deck:
It decided by itself! I never made such a decision, and although I did think of it years ago, it was always "oh, that's an endless project-forget it"...
But then, it JUST HAPPENED... The Magician was the first card, and the rest is history...

So Skytwig---don't sweat about it...
At the right time, you'll find yourself busy doing, not thinking about it!

Now, back to back...:
To me the back is VERY important... That doesn't mean it has to be a striking piece... Sometimes it can be very simple, but it needs to fit, to be a part of the front...
I guess my only path will be to make a few and see what works best...
I will take all your advice and thought IN first...
and then I will "call for the back side" to come to earth! to my screen!
I can see it...it will be a powerful coming!
Thank you!!!!!

ps:
baba: I'll go look for a magnifying glass right now!

skytwig

Wow!!!!!

I went to your website.... what terriffic FUN!!!!!

Are you a fast writer?......... Or can you publish the deck before the book? (yes, please, please............. )

Moonbow

I love your cards............ they are so vibrant and full of life! See what you mean about the backs. How can you match that? It cant be somethin muted and pastel, maybe a black would be good afterall. Let us be the first to know when you decide, like I said before its just between us shshshsh..............

HudsonGray

Well, with solid black you won' t have to worry about matching up edges or frames.

With mine, I had several designs, one was too Celtic, others just didn't fit, then I came up with the Jester Ferret with the stick through his head a'la the King of Swords on a regular playing card deck, and went with that.

When I did mine, I'd put the question out to several tarot lists--do people want an image on the back (yes, or anything that isn't just plain white), what didn't they want (boring backs), and should it be reversable (yes! Resoundingly).

M-Press

Hm...hm...

I guess that a repeating pattern as well as something pretty solid do solve the problems of matching the frames...
BUT, I don't like solids, because sfter a short while, youy can see on them the "shuffling marks" and they just end up looking old when they are still so very young!

When it comes to a face or a figure, i feel it's tricky, since it might compete with the front, or get too much importance...
(must say though Hudson Gray, that your double ferret at the back made me produce a big smile---especially since at the beginning I thought that at the end of the stick was a half eaten apple! It must be due to my fondness of apples!!!!!

Another issue that concerns me, is the white border... If the cards have a white border, should the backs have it too? If they don't have it, would that make them look strangers?

I think I'll have to go with one color+tints, because of costs (I have no idea who will publish it, but if none then I will, so...)
I'm thinking of a blue-indigo-purplish shade... Deep color and spiritual too...
It apprears here and there in the deck too...

Will keep cooking....
Your posts make a good fire!!!

skytwig

M-Press said:
Another issue that concerns me, is the white border... If the cards have a white border, should the backs have it too? If they don't have it, would that make them look strangers?

blue-indigo-purplish shade... that would work!!!

I guess I lean toward the black because you have so much color in the cards and the black would really make it jump out!! It does already, but there's nothing quite as intense as brilliant color and black.......

Maybe you could have a subtle color pattern in the black... maybe deep blue or even a gold..... (the backs of Mythic Tarot are black and a touch of gold.... )

Keep thinkin'.... glad we're fueling a fire.... i love Sacred Fires! :)

Moonbow

M-Press said:
I don't like solids, because sfter a short while, youy can see on them the "shuffling marks" and they just end up looking old when they are still so very young!

I agree with this, the best of my deck backs are a shade of blue/mauve/indigo. And the ones that are black do get tatty looking pretty quickly.

HudsonGray

I wonder if that's a product of the inks. When we looked into it, the type of ink offered for durability was the kind they use on business cards, it's waterproof & isn't supposed to rub off at all.