The Secret: Tarot & the New Thought Movement

jmd

oops - missed the other replies as I was typing (I'm slow at typing).

I think that has long been a close association between the French and the Americans in both psychology and politics (despite the two seemingly at loggerheads!). But did not Coué very much base his works on Mesmer (I know very little about Coué, save his generic autosuggestion for health improvement)?

... and by the way, in case you have not come across him before, I find Herbert Silberer (another Freudian-influenced individual who probably had a major but little acknowledged influence on Jung) more fascinating than Jung, and pertinent to all this. His key work, Problems of Mysticism and its Symbolism (trans. NY, 1917 - I have the 1971 reprinting as Hidden Symbolism of Alchemy and the Occult Arts) is a valuable source for influences on various esoteric developments in North America (in my opinion).

Teheuti

Re: Influences on Freemasonry
jmd said:
in the US I thought I saw a strong Crowleyan (though again veiled) influence - though I can really see how this is more Atkinsonian-type thinking.
I don't know much about the particulars of Masonry in the U.S., but living in the "gold country" - almost all towns (no matter how small) have a Masonic building & lodge that date from the gold rush days and is still going strong. However, these are mostly just civic organizations with a hint of ritual that no one understands. A friend told me how frustrated he is that there is no interest in the symbolism or the meaning of the rituals.

Lon DuQuette is active in a Southern CA lodge that treats the work more seriously and he speaks at many others. I wonder how much the current Crowley/OTO influence comes through him.

it seemed to me the 'New Age' in the UK and France is far more 'structured' than in either the US or Australia.
The US version of the 'New Age' is wide-ranging to the point that most people identify more with a particular emphasis and not with the umbrella notion of New Age.

Thanks for your characterization of the Australian 'soul.' I find these things fascinating.

It's also strange, from an Australian perspective, to see the American temperament described as 'rugged individualism', as by our standards Americans seem to be so very much communal in comparison (and so much under the warming and protective influence of Cancer).

Oh, it's definitely a myth - closely related to the myth of the cowboy that Bush has latched onto.

With regards to the Kybalion, are you suggesting that perhaps de Laurence was its third author?
I never thought of him in that context, but who knows. I've heard Dion Fortune mentioned (I don't believe it), or perhaps Case's then-wife, Harriette.

Mary

Teheuti

jmd said:
I find Herbert Silberer (another Freudian-influenced individual who probably had a major but little acknowledged influence on Jung) more fascinating than Jung, and pertinent to all this. His key work, Problems of Mysticism and its Symbolism (trans. NY, 1917 - I have the 1971 reprinting as Hidden Symbolism of Alchemy and the Occult Arts) is a valuable source for influences on various esoteric developments in North America (in my opinion).
Do you think most US esoterists have read Silberer? I've seen the book before (may even have a copy) but I don't remember ever having read it. Do you think he is directly more influential than Jung? Will have to look more into this now.

Am off to teach in Dallas so I won't be around for a few days.

Mary

jmd

I strongly suspect (with more perhaps unwarranted circumstantial evidence) that Silberer would have been read by the likes of Manly P. Hall (PRS), H. Spencer Lewis (AMORC), and Paul F. Case (BOTA).

With regards to the Crowleyan influence, I see it (as someone from the outside) as being active quite early, and without his influence overt. But again, it may perhaps better be described as him characterising the impulse and its influence, rather than being its progenitor.

One thing's for sure, your opening post's made me want to read Atkinson again...

...and for a different reason also read a little more of Thomas Merton's works - perhaps there's also more of the Atkinsonian-like impulse therein than I realised (Thomas Merton seems to me to be soooooo American - in all its positive connotations!).

mac22

Teheuti said:
Just thought you'all would be interested in this little essay I've just written. Would love to hear comments.

"The Secret: Tarot & the New Thought Movement"
by Mary K. Greer

If you want to understand what motivates the “secret teachings of the Tarot” as characterized by the mid-to-late-20th century approach to the RWS Tarot deck, it helps to look not only at the Anglo-American creators of that deck (Waite & Smith) but also at the hugh, but unacknowledged, influence of the uniquely-American New Thought movement and particularly William Walker Atkinson.

Those who have watched the video “The Secret” or read any of the works on the “Law of Attraction” by Abraham/Hicks and many, many others, may not be aware that this “Think-and-Grown-Rich” concept is a direct descendant (with relatively little updating) of the 19th century American New Thought movement. It began, some say, with Phineas Parkhurst Quimby (1802-1866), a practitioner of mesmerism or mental healing, and forms the basic tenets of the Unity Church and the Church of Religious Science. One of its branches drew heavily upon Theosophy and helped popularize Hindu yogic practices in the U.S.

One of the most prolific authors in the New Thought movement was William Walker Atkinson, editor of _New Thought_ magazine, and author of _Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World_ (1906) in which can be found the basic tenets found in _The Secret_, including the use of positive thinking and affirmations. Atkinson used many pseudonyms, including Yogi Ramacharaka whose work _Mystic Christianity_ features a chapter on “The Secret Doctrine” in which he quotes from Eliphas Levi and A.E. Waite. Here he reveals the mystical side of the “Secret”--that there is an Inner Teaching--from which organized religion has departed. This hidden spiritual message is “the constant Mystic Message regarding the existence of the Spirit within the soul of each individual--that Something Within, to which all can turn, in time of pain and trouble--that Guide and Monitor which stands ever-ready to counsel, advise and direct if one opens himself to the Voice.”

Atkinson, through his hundreds of books and articles, taught that the “Key to the Mysteries” were methods to be used to listen to the still, silent voice within. He believed that “The Truth is the same, no matter under what name it is taught or who teaches it." So, under his various pseudonyms, he presented it in the form of mystic christianity, hindu yogic practices, and hermetic wisdom, culminating in a book called _The Kybalion_ by “Three Initiates,” outlining the seven Hermetic principles making up the “Law of Attraction."

What’s interesting to us as tarot readers is the close ties that Atkinson’s brand of New Thought has to Tarot. The trail actually begins with Quimby’s belief in mesmerism, something in which Antoine Court de Gébelin also firmly believed (dying during a treatment by Mesmer himself). Then there is the obvious influence that Eliphas Lévi and A.E. Waite had on Atkinson who began as a mental healer and ended up as a promulgator of Hermetic and Rosicrucian Wisdom. Atkinson was also “Magus Incognito” who wrote _The Secret Doctrine of the Rosicrucians_, which includes a set of “seven cosmic principles” almost identical to those in _The Kybalion_. (Under the names Swami Bhakta Vishita and Swami Panchadasi, he wrote extensively on “seership.”)

A couple of people found themselves drawn to Atkinson through their shared interests, culminating in several works. Both L.W. de Laurence (best remembered for plagarizing Waite’s Pictorial Key to the Tarot and the RWS deck) and Paul Foster Case moved to Chicago and collaborated with Atkinson (_Psychomancy and Crystal Gazing_ was written with de Laurence). A well-established rumor has it that Case was one of the “Three Initiates” who wrote _The Kybalion_, using its principles as the basis of his Tarot correspondence course. Those who look for New Thought methods in this course will find them aplenty.

The whole concept of Vibration, made popular (if hackneyed) through the Hippie term “vibes,” is descriptive of the mental resonance experienced by those who use the Tarot, and especially by those who see the Tarot as a tool for deliberately making one’s life better rather than simply mirroring or predicting character and events. A reading of the above mentioned works will convince anyone of the direct connection between the modern American approach to Tarot and the New Thought movement.

Atkinson's _Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World_ is available at:
http://gitacademy.tripod.com/GodsInTraining/ThoughtVibration.htm

Mary K. Greer

I stumbled across William Walker Atkinson & New Thought in '65-'66 and imbibed deeply.:) I special ordered many of his books & pamphlets.

Thing is Atkinson's techniques work. His works are worthy of study by today's serious students IMHO.

mac22

blackroseivy

*raising hand*

Excuse me, Ms. Greer - may I ask you something?

I saw the expression "the still, small voice within" in your essay & just have to ask - where did that expression originate? Is it a quote? I have particular reason for asking...

Thank you!

jmd

I Kings 19: 11-12

blackroseivy

WOW - it was the BIBLE?! Well knock me over with a feather...

Thanx jmd!

firemaiden

Wow that was one powerful feather :D

Mary thank you so much for posting your essay. Does any of this have a tie to the little book "As a Man Thinketh" ?

I was directed to take this book to heart by my first voice teacher.

Moonbow

I've enjoyed your essay Mary, and it's given me several leads to go and read up, including Atkinson who I hadn't heard of before. I watched 'The Secret' earlier this year and although impressive in what they all say, I found it a little too hyped in it's presentation, but I'm sure it sparked interest in further research and reading for many people. I've also read a few of Wayne Dwyer's books which are on a similar line.

Firemaiden I have a small James Allen book called The Wisdom of James Allen, which has five of his works, incuding As a Man Thinketh. I must read this little book again, it's been a few years.