"The Star" ~~ Majors only deck by Cathy McClelland

shadowdancer

I actually have mine in a presentation folder along with the A4 prints of the Sacred Isle tarot. Both decks are terrific works of art. It is nice to get them out to just look through on occasion. If these were the same size (A4) I would be using them with the Sacred Isle as display pieces on my twice yearly stall at the festival we have in Christchurch.

And I agree about that Death card. It hits you right between the eyes for sure :)

Davina

Celice

americle said:
I have this set, and it is breathtaking. In fact, I'm purchasing a second set so I can FRAME some of the cards to use as art in my office. :) Tamara

Ooh that's a great idea! If I ever get a backup maybe I'll do the same.

greatdane

Majors only, right?

Just checked out site. Do you all read from the deck or just like the artwork?

I was looking for one Majors only and Tarot Whispers is somewhere blowing in the wind, with little chance of me being able to find or afford it. I like this deck, but from what I saw, it is Majors only, which is what I want!

Glad I saw this thread!

GD

Celice

greatdane said:
Just checked out site. Do you all read from the deck or just like the artwork?

I was looking for one Majors only and Tarot Whispers is somewhere blowing in the wind, with little chance of me being able to find or afford it. I like this deck, but from what I saw, it is Majors only, which is what I want!

Glad I saw this thread!

GD

Yes it is majors only, and a beautiful deck. The cards are very large (postcard sized) so keep that in mind if you are going to read with it. I mostly got it because I enjoy the artwork and want to add it to my collection but I'm sure you could read with the deck if you don't mind the size (some people prefer large cards). It comes with a booklet to explain the meanings.

greatdane

Thanks, Celice!

I don't always want to read with just Majors, but wanted one majors only deck. May I ask if the cards are laminated, do they feel like a tarot deck or really like postcard, but maybe thicker? The size is fine, as this won't be a deck I use all the time, but feel of the deck matters to me.

Thanks!

GD

shadowdancer

I did laminate mine in the end as well as rounding the corners. If I remember rightly they felt slightly thinner than postcards.

Davina

oh just to throw another thought I would recommend also the Sacred Isle. Both are Majors only at this stage. Sacred Isle is available as A4 prints, A5 or as a deck.

Davina

Celice

greatdane said:
I don't always want to read with just Majors, but wanted one majors only deck. May I ask if the cards are laminated, do they feel like a tarot deck or really like postcard, but maybe thicker? The size is fine, as this won't be a deck I use all the time, but feel of the deck matters to me.

Thanks!

GD

I think the main reason they feel like postcards is their size, there are many different types of cardstock and this could definitely qualify as one of them similar to what I've felt on other cards... I think they are a little thicker than postcards because I think Cathy changed the cardstock but I'm not sure what the earlier one was like, I get the impression it used to be pretty thin.
I don't believe they are laminated but probably have some kind of surface treatment to make them glossy on one side and matte on the other. I don't know much about cardstock though. I would definitely suggest emailing the artist and asking her more about the it because I don't want my ignorance to give you the wrong impression ;)

If you are really looking for cards with a definite laminated feel you might want to look into the Illuminated Tarot by Carol Herzer, she sells majors only sets if you just want one of those. If you don't mind non-plasticy feeling cards though I could definitely suggest Cathy's Star Tarot.

Celice

shadowdancer said:
I did laminate mine in the end as well as rounding the corners. If I remember rightly they felt slightly thinner than postcards.

Davina

Just a note that Shadowdancer purchased an earlier version of the deck because now the corners are already rounded and I think the cardstock is thicker.

greatdane

Thanks, Celice!

They're lovely and I know I would like them. I guess the post card reference just threw me a bit. I think all the cards are wonderful, I especially loved The Hermit!

GD

greatdane

This will be my tarot deck purchase for April!

I wanted a great majors deck and now thanks, to this thread, I will have one that is gorgeous and I can afford!