The Tarot of Life (new unpublished deck)

Uma

changes

gregory said:
That profile link works great, Uma (it's under your sig now, see ?) - and very good luck with it. Is it much changed from when I actually saw a prototype in Kleinburg ?

....not too much basically but I've changed a lot and I've been redoing the manuscript several times over... Expressing my vision of it on internet is like a breath of fresh air...

Hedera

Oh, I just love those cards!

They have a really free, open feel to them.

How far are you with regards to publication?

Alta

AJ said:
The mods will remove the link I expect, put it in your profile.
Blog links for artists are allowed in Creation.

Uma

Hedera said:
Oh, I just love those cards!

They have a really free, open feel to them.

How far are you with regards to publication?

I just sent a query to a small independent in Australia. I haven't been sending to publishers for a long time. Been too busy. I'm planning to focus on developing them on line for now and offer free on line readings with personal support through my blog. I don't have the money to invest in self publishing at the moment and anyway for free is very freeing... :)

Uma

Is anyone open to my radical reinterpretation of Tarot?

I've been uploading the cards and rewriting card meanings to my blog. It's a long process because there's a lot of computer code to add so it links up nicely and makes it easy to navigate through. Later I will polish it all up and reload card images that reflect the changes I want to make. I think I'm going to remove the border and just put a little box on the bottom with the card name, colour code and tarot designation.

I've also found a way to generate a simple one card oracle reading on the site. Not all the cards are on it yet but it will give you a reading from at least cups and pentacles.

Today I took a break from the uploading and wrote what I think is a very clear explanation of why I'm trying to radically reinterpret the Rider Waite and tarot in general. I want my contribution to be a more powerful tool than has been conceived of before. Am I ambitious or what? Or just foolish...?

If you care to read it, the URL is http://tarotoflife.blogspot.com/2010/02/essence-of-tarot.html - the posting is called "Essence of Tarot" and it's also linked in the "Introduction" tab at the side. I'd be curious to start getting feedback. My concept for this is huge. Is the tarot world ready? Interested? Or am I trying to fix something that people think isn't broken?

Máire

I really adore your artwork and your concepts, but I really feel your cards are let down by the choice of font, the size of the lettering, and the choice of black for the colour (using pure black is much too strong for the beauty of your images). If this deck is meant for meditation why have the label shrieking out at you at all. I would shrink the font size down a few points and make the labelling either a shade of grey, or a greeny grey that doesn't detract from the image. A good trick is to pick the darkest colour from your image with a colour picker and use that for your font colour. Add a small amount of black if you feel it's too light. At least the colour would then be in harmony with your art.

I've seen so many great tarot/oracle decks let down by poor font choices, poor font placement, and overbearing colouring. Maybe I'm hypersensitive as I'm a graphic designer, but I wouldn't buy this deck, as lovely and as profound as your artistry is, simply because of the font choice, size, placement and colour...and, I want to buy it, y'know?

:)

Uma

Máire said:
I really adore your artwork and your concepts, but I really feel your cards are let down by the choice of font, the size of the lettering, and the choice of black for the colour (using pure black is much too strong for the beauty of your images). If this deck is meant for meditation why have the label shrieking out at you at all. I would shrink the font size down a few points and make the labelling either a shade of grey, or a greeny grey that doesn't detract from the image. A good trick is to pick the darkest colour from your image with a colour picker and use that for your font colour. Add a small amount of black if you feel it's too light. At least the colour would then be in harmony with your art.

I've seen so many great tarot/oracle decks let down by poor font choices, poor font placement, and overbearing colouring. Maybe I'm hypersensitive as I'm a graphic designer, but I wouldn't buy this deck, as lovely and as profound as your artistry is, simply because of the font choice, size, placement and colour...and, I want to buy it, y'know?

:)

Thanks Máire. I agree...my border and font choices look awful. I'm not that "font" literate though...so I do appreciate your professional opinion. I'm going to go with an on demand publisher which limits card size to poker size (2.5" x 3.5") so it will have to be fairly simple. I've done a little sample here with a cleaner look. I understand your point about keeping the words quiet but in this case the words are important and as someone who now wears reading glasses I'd like to be able to see them clearly. What do you think?

The ressolution is too big to upload here so I put it on my blog: http://tarotoflife.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-look-example-1.html

Debra

You have a lovely hand; the images are a knock-out. Why not write the words yourself in script?

KafkasGhost

Oh my! Beautifully rendered concepts here. I'm loving the simplicity and elegance.

I agree about making the titles (while I would like to see them) less obtrusive.