The Third Roses & Lilies RWS pack

gregory

Congratulations ! :D

I am so glad it went to someone here, so that we can hear more about it !

rwcarter

Congrats Tarotwolf! Dying to hear more when you're prepared to talk about it.

OnePotato

The letter was a big part of why I put such a high bid in. I like the fact that it's an actual physical piece of history attached to and illuminating one of the most popular tarot decks of the last century. The letter also supports the supposition that the blue roses & lilies backed deck is authentic and most probably from the very first print-run. .......... Thanks for everyone's interest. Once I get the deck and study it a bit, I'll follow up with more information.

Congrats, Tarotwolf.
It's a deck with few rivals.

Cerulean

I am not certain, but you can pm or email me for certain scans

for the book might have assembled by hand, with letters on certain pages, and a few other items aboit the typesetting and the box photos I took with my husband...it might be comparable to what others have the 1909 or 1910. I had to send my photos to the museum when they included mine, they were so cash-strapped. You might find the notes helpful.

Congradulations!

The typeset of Rider/Publisher note rouses my curiousity because the paper, look and language sounds ...well, what an amazing wonder. The beautiful backs and charm of older items..

Whatever works for you, may your gladness at the uniqueness be continual....because even in my flawed copies, the older items have a bit of a glow of being one of a kind.

I once spent two hours trying to unfold, separate and house old typewritten meditations that came on vellumish typing paper that came in a 1949 Grimaud book...and I never unglued the 19th/20th century Grimaud sample cards although I want to see the backs in a sample book...

The English and French paper and books seem beautifully produced in 1890 through 1910, although 1840 samples also have beautiful engravings.

RexMalaki

The letter was a big part of why I put such a high bid in. I like the fact that it's an actual physical piece of history attached to and illuminating one of the most popular tarot decks of the last century. The letter also supports the supposition that the blue roses & lilies backed deck is authentic and most probably from the very first print-run. For me that was reason enough to put a premium bid on this deck. I don't like the fact that the cardstock is separating, especially since I enjoy shuffling all my decks. However, I have theory why this may be happening. It'll take a bit of research to follow through with my speculations concerning the cardstock; but if it pans out, it may add something new to the early history of the Waite-Smith deck (I prefer not to go into detail at this point). Just to let everyone know - I'm not planning to restore the deck anytime soon. I did look into several restoration techniques prior to bidding on the deck and was concerned that even an archival adhesive might stain the thin paper once reattached to the cardstock layer. At a latter date I may have it professionally restored or may just keep it intact the way it is.
Thanks for everyone's interest. Once I get the deck and study it a bit, I'll follow up with more information.

congratulations...!!!

for the same reasons that OnePotato gave, I was under the impression that these are first print run decks...alas...no funds to even think about bidding against you...very happy for you; enjoy your new deck, and tell us all about it. Thanks for posting!

Cerulean

duplicate delete

delete duplicated message

but win worthy of doubled congradulations!

gregory

Has the book black and white or colour illustrations?

Abrac

Because of the condition I didn't think it would do very good but boy was I wrong! :laugh: It's amazing that this is the first anyone's heard of that letter. Makes ya wonder what else is out there just waiting to be unearthed.

roppo

I'm quite satisfied to know that the historic pack is going to be in the hands of a historian. Big congratulations Tarotwolf!

truelighth

Thank you, Tarotwolf, for letting us know you got the deck. And Congratulations! That is one fantastic purchase!

I really hope you will share some of your ideas in time. I personally would love to hear about them. I only wish I had more knowledge of printing processes and other things like that, like OnePotato, to really properly study these decks. This is just so exciting!