The Wheel as a couple's potential

GrailKing

I wanted to sound folks out on the idea of what The Wheel of Fortune might mean if it comes up in answer to the question/position: "What is our potential as a couple?" In this situation, we are talking about a potential relationship between two men, and the older one is curious/concerned about how things might work out. I would equate this card position to an outcome card. I'm trying to decide how to interpret The Wheel in light of the preceding card, the Four of Wands, whose position is "How would we fit together?" These two cards were part of a larger spread on the potential compatibility for these two.

My take on the Four of Wands indicates a stable fire energy and hints at this couple potentially reaching a stage of initial success. In addition it suggests the beginning formation of a relationship between two individuals who value hearth and home over a mad social whirl. There is an element of energetic stability and a focus on home life but one that would also welcome entertaining guests in the home from time to time. There's also a suggestion that this would be a creative pairing since we are talking about wands here.

The Wheel as their potential seems to suggest that it's still up in the air and anybody's guess how things might work out but events outside their control are in play that will determine how and if this couple relationship ever "gels." It also seems like this relationship may seem fated or the two drawn together by unforeseen events. The Wheel is also another fire card as it is often interpreted as representing the planet Jupiter.

Any thoughts? What might I be overlooking in this interpretation?

Marsy

I agree with you. The Wheel is either turning for or against them and right now its too early to tell which direction will be the outcome.

SwordOfTruth

The Wheel for me is very straightforward. It always points to a relationship where the sum are greater than the parts. Yes a destined match which has more implications than just sexual desire and enjoyment. It transcends mere material reality and becomes part of the spiritual journey of both partners. That's not to say it's likely to be a dream relationship. In fact with the Wheel at play I would predict a fair amount of turbulence, but it's generally issues that can be worked through and both partners come to a greater level of understanding about themselves and each other.

The thing to note with the Wheel is that a happy ending is not guaranteed. Just because a relationship has a karmic nature doesn't mean it is necessarily permanent nor a soulmate styled relationship (as most people think of that concept). This is a spiritually driven relationship but free will is still at play and where they take it is up to them.

The four of wands for me is one of the most stable cards in that suit. It tends to indicate not only a desired conclusion but one which has some level of longevity or permanance about it. The classic image for that card is a marriage arbour, indicating some level of commitment. In my deck the image is that of the burgeoning growth of Spring which also implies a period of continued growth before we meet the temporary decline of Winter. The constancy of the season's and their predictability is also implies a long term nature.

Padma

"What is our potential as a couple?" The Wheel:

Not only turbulence, as mentioned by Sword of Truth in his/her excellent response, but take note of this - I live inside of a Wheel relationship, and I have to tell you, it is just the same damn things over and over again, but in different costumes every time.

In other words: some petty drama will play itself out over and over and over again. Round and round and up and down, the Wheel of Fortune relationship is to ride on a carousel that revisits the same darned problems in a repetitive cycle that never ends. And guess what? The brass ring is forever out of reach.

:neutral:

GrailKing

Marsy, thank you for support. I agree that external events (the universe?) are guiding what happens next.

GrailKing

Padma, You've made a good observation. I can relate to this aspect of the Wheel in relationships from my own experience. I've come to the conclusion that a certain amount of what you describe is part of any relationship that gets past the honeymoon phase and down to the nitty gritty of day-to-day life and relating. However, I've also come to the conclusion that these repetitive issues come because they need to be addressed by one or, more likely, both of the participants.

The lesson then of The Wheel in that case is to recognize the pattern and make a change. Once one partner breaks the cycle, the other has to adjust. If there is a mutual desire to grow closer and more mature in the relationship, a permanent change can take place as the individuals evolve within the relationship. This then moves then to next stage of development. In this way a Wheel relationship would be a call for evolution versus revolution. Thank you for posting.

GrailKing

SwordofTruth, what a global vision you've presented. The sum is greater than the parts certainly would describe this potential pairing. I get the sense that both of these guys are going to be more together with whomever they end up than they are alone. They're also both in the process of setting and tackling personal life challenges and both are in what I would call a high-growth phase internally. Like the Wheel they are evolving their lives to align more with their authentic path. I also think there's an opportunity for much mutual support along the way.

I completely agree that the Wheel is not a guarantee of happily ever after nor of permanent bliss (i.e. it doesn't guarantee getting your wish filled by the universe, for example).

I think you take on the Four of Wands is spot on with the association with the turn of the seasons and their yearly cycle. It's an echo of the Wheel energy, wouldn't you say? Also, I think that both of these individuals are commitment-oriented by nature, but time will tell if both are ready for commitment at this point in time. I really enjoyed your comments and appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Intotouch

Hi. I also share Padma's experience of the wheel of fortune. A relationship with similar problems, similar pleasures, dramas, ups and downs, over and over. So everything changes but everything stays the same.

GrailKing

Hi. I also share Padma's experience of the wheel of fortune. A relationship with similar problems, similar pleasures, dramas, ups and downs, over and over. So everything changes but everything stays the same.

Gee, I sure hope not. The thing is this guy is actually a departure from any significant previous patterns I've had in prior relationships. We actually share some very positive values and goals for ourselves, such as lively a healthy lifestyle including maintaining a healthy relationship to substances such as alcohol, a desire to challenge ourselves physically through fitness related interests, and creative endeavors/interests that foster a complimentary approach to life and ongoing personal growth. We're also fairly comfortable in our own skin, relatively speaking. I would think it is the beginning of a new pattern, one where the wheel is rotated by a generally more positive energy feeding on our interaction. If the wheel can signify negative cycles of interaction and behaviors as has been often observed by others, then I believe it can just as easily be harnessed to feed off positive behaviors and attitudes as two people adapt to life's changes.

LeFou

Some view Wheel as an intensifier. So whatever it affects will be bigger.

This might be because (traditionally) whenever the gods paid attention to us, the impact on our lives would be great (for example, Odysseus). Wheel = Fortuna, "luck" in the general sense (neither good nor bad).

Lastly, some see Wheel as combining the energies of the chaotic Fool (zero) with the grasping (Yang) desire to affect the outcome (1). Some have said the Wheel "supervises" the Aces, handing them out from that cloud (rather than the Magician, who merely finds or imitates them).