The Wheel of the Year Tarot (new LoS deck)

Carla

Watched part of the Youtube. More sparkly-eyed pagans with their perky bosoms and rippling muscles. This deck doesn't do it for me at all, but it's great that it's grabbin' so many of you! I shall content myself with the Wildwood (which is also based on the Wheel of the Year, kinda), and await the mass market release of Gaian Tarot. :)

Flaxen

The first few cards I saw of this on LS facebook page, I liked. Having just viewed the entire deck, it's not for me. I'm not so keen on the way the people are shown - can't quite put my finger on why. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that cartoon style artwork doesn't really work for me.

HearthCricket

I love it! A bit fey, a bit fairytale, a bit Ren. It reminds me of an adult version of the Whimsical and has a very storybook feel about it. A definite buy for me!

Quester

I love the look of this deck!! :heart: Can't wait for it to become available here!!!

PedroEmperor

I've been craving for this one since I saw the images on facebook. I like the style, the approach and, above all, the concept! Also, LoS decks always work well with me.

I wonder when it's gonna show up here in Portugal... I'm getting it as soon as I find it!

shadowdancer

I fully accept the style etc will not float everyone's boat. That is the joy and wonder of any art form. You add the fact it is a tarot deck to the mix and it is likely it will either click - or not as the case may be.

I think the reason I liked it is because:

I like the cartoon style IF it is done well. This I think has been done well.

I want decks to do something with the courts and aces other than static posing etc. The courts are a little static (do we always have to have knights on horses, kings on thrones etc?) but effort has been made to give them some personality. Who can not think of the Queen from Snow White when they look at the queen of swords? The aces are beautiful.

There are many angles to home in on with many of the cards. I love a deck that has the ability to take my running imagination in different directions. Or gives the chance to focus on one character, step into them and do a reading with what is going on for them.

I think based on this footage of all the cards it may still be my favourite LS deck. My dad raised me on Walt Disney as a very young girl and painted many pictures from Disney films for me. He is still doing them for his grandchildren, and maybe that is another reason why I felt a rapport with the style.

I own and use, albeit infrequently:

78 doors (current favourite LS deck)
Gay
New Vision
Pagan

Sad to say other LS decks are not used but still offer something which is why they will not be parted with at the moment.

Now here is hoping the colours really will pop in real life, not just on a PC screen.

FINAL ADDITION: I think my Tarot of Innocence deck would have rocked if it had been done by this artist. It would have not just told a story but also would have created the community and characters in a way that would have been identifable. Maybe that is another reason I like the deck and style - it was what I had in my head when I visualised my deck as I was creating it.

OctoberGwen

shadowdancer said:
The aces are beautiful.

I agree, the aces are interesting - I always appreciate that, too.

shadowdancer said:
My dad raised me on Walt Disney as a very young girl and painted many pictures from Disney films for me. He is still doing them for his grandchildren, and maybe that is another reason why I felt a rapport with the style.

That is wonderful, how special to find a deck which recalls that connection with your dad. :heart:

One of my very favorite things about Tarot is the breadth, the scope of what can be done with it. Of course not every deck will appeal to everyone, nor should it!

Eyebright

I've had this deck since it was released and is currently one of my main reading decks. I love it!!

For me the colours on the cards are just as lush, bright and vivid in the hand as they appear on screen. They seen to pop and have so much sparkle and energy :)

Le Fanu

I love how we are all different and we all love different things and diversity is to be celebrated but I find this deck unnervingly kitsch. And I'll buy any LoS deck but the bubbly gumminess of this deck's palette and the pink voluptuousness make me feel a bit queasy. I couldn't even watch that youtube clip to the end.

I wish I did like it, I'd be happy to buy another LoS deck, any deck...

Shade

Love it, I've loved all of Antonella's decks but I wasn't sure how a wheel of the year deck could be done that wouldn't be a rehash of all the other pagan decks. I really like where they took it.

It reminds me of the herbal tarot in that you will instantly know the symbolism from the figure and their posture but when you get into all the little nuances of which plants are growing and what they are doing the meanings can go deeper.

Love the Devil the most, very creative approach. Also enjoying most of the majors and that rather striking Queen of Swords.

I know people accuse Antonella of drawing people who are "too beautiful" but I think she includes people of all sizes... and if you think about it there's like one overweight person in the Rider Waite.