The Wheel of the Year Tarot (new LoS deck)

Carla

Le Fanu said:
I love how we are all different and we all love different things and diversity is to be celebrated but I find this deck unnervingly kitsch. And I'll buy any LoS deck but the bubbly gumminess of this deck's palette and the pink voluptuousness make me feel a bit queasy. I couldn't even watch that youtube clip to the end.

I wish I did like it, I'd be happy to buy another LoS deck, any deck...

That's how I felt. I didn't get through the YouTube either. I like the idea, but not the execution.

Wendywu

No, not for me but I can see that it has its own appeal. Always nice to see another deck out though, to add to the choices available :)

Aerin

Book depository have the deck on offer at under £10.

I thought I'd say.

Of course now, if true to form, everyone but ME will get it at that price... but we will see.

Eyebright

Aerin said:
Book depository have the deck on offer at under £10.

I thought I'd say.

Of course now, if true to form, everyone but ME will get it at that price... but we will see.
Good luck Aerin! I really liked this deck when I first got it! I still do but we are taking a break as it was getting to be unbearably cheerful. It was grating on me LOL

marimorimo

I never gave this a second glance when I first saw it on preorder but I've checked out the youtube vid and now I'm intrigued. I like the concept especially for the minors.

HOWEVER, I really am not fond of comic-book style art on my decks. LoS loves comic book artists though. But even more than that, I find the color palette too garish. Not enough shadow, too much midtone and neon.

I'm on the fence on this one.

marimorimo

ann823 said:
When you raise a cup for a toast you raise it in front, raising it in back like that really looks like the hatchling is about to get whalloped. I showed the picture to a non tarot person and asked them what was happening in the picture. They said "Those girls are going to brain that bird." If they were going for a traditional meaning with that card I think they missed.

This is kinda old but...the card looked that way to me as well :D

The way they hold the cups and the maniacal gleam in their eyes....

Myrrha

I really love the aces in this deck. The Ace of Swords is wonderful and gives an interesting twist to the swords suit. I like the bright colors and the concept, some of the cards seem overly bland though, especially the Major Arcana card that depicts the Horned God, those careful muscles but no real sense of animality or protection or danger, or much emotion at all. Several of the other cards seemed fairly intense though and it looks like it could read well if I sit down with it and go into "tell me a story" mode.

I might pick this up soon.

I wonder if I would get tripped in readings up by all the cards depicting certain times of the year, and see timing indicators everywhere.

Aerin

Eyebright said:
Good luck Aerin! I really liked this deck when I first got it! I still do but we are taking a break as it was getting to be unbearably cheerful. It was grating on me LOL

I could probably do with a Pollyanna deck :D

I did love the scans of the Aces Myrra. No chance of worrying about timing indicators for me, I am usually entirely oblivious to any such thing.

MysticalMoose

Cheeeeesefest - But I likes!!!

Hmmmm. I don't usually like cartoony style decks at all. However, I do like this what from what I've seen so far. I had to turn the music off on the YouNoob presentation tho it was making me nauseous :eek: I like the fact it's so brightly coloured and while I was watching the cards float by I certainly got a sense of the personalities depicted & found the faces expressive. I wasn't put off by the bulging biceps and buxom babes either :laugh: I may just give this one a go.....

BigLuna

I received this deck today by pre-ordering and I'm very disappointed. The artist's work is very nice, but as far as "wheel of the year," it doesn't hit the mark. The only wheel is the seasons ~ spring, summer, autumn, and winter depicted in the minor suits. Otherwise, it seems to be lacking. One exception is Death, which does show a halloween setting with pumpkins around.

I think I was expecting "wheel of the year" to be related in someway to the sabbat days ~ equinoxes, solstices, quarter days. It's not.

For example, The Hierophant is usually associated with Taurus. May Day (Beltane) is May 1st, so I expected something in the Taurus card to reflect that. Instead, the Hierophant is depicted in an autumnal setting with gold and orange leaves arouond.

The artwork is very pretty, but there's not much in the way of symbolism here. It certainly doesn't align with the true wheel of the year.

The court cards are quite nice. Like I said, the art work is very nice. I think the 9 of Swords is one of the most inspired cards in the deck.