The Wild Unknown Tarot

Calcifer

Thanks... I've got a couple of glue sticks around here somewhere....
Michael

Sulis

I think a tiny bit of Super Glue would work too as long as it really is a tiny bit ;).

earthair

Mine smells fine.. I wonder if it's the batch...

Everyone seems to rave about the cardstock on this deck and that's the one thing I don't like about it..

To give people an idea of how strong this smell is- I sprinkled dried lavender throughout the cards, shut the box for a few hours, and when I just opened it again there is already no smell of lavender at all, whatever the smell is, it's powerful enough to obliterate anything. :bugeyed: If anyone has a stinky wet dog/sock I can borrow I'd like to test a theory... :D

It feels like shuffling wafer thin slices of slate. And whoooooaaaa, you can find yourself going into a trance-like state really easily- but it's also possible I am getting lightheaded from the smell.

Akiwa

my back-up deck arrived yesterday, and it doesn't smell at all. I hope that the smell others are speaking of dissipates soon!

Pixna

I actually own several decks of The Wild Unknown and mine have never smelled either. Perhaps you just got one from an "off" run.

Mariqueen

To everyone asking what hipster is, it's this new lifestyle that's taken over and often depicted by stuck up men (mostly) living in Portland with beards and skinny jeans and flannels who think they are holier than thou because they knew about stuff before everyone else or don't need to live a life of luxury~

The artwork and over all styling within the deck is trendy/hipster style which to me was very off putting. And not that the creator didn't spend a lot of time studying and creating each card, I don't doubt for a second they don't know tarot well. I was just saying my initial reaction to the deck was that it was ver hipstery and reminded me of Portland and Urban Outfitters LOL

Also anyone having issues with the deck smelling, maybe try cleansing it with sage!

Pixna

Mariqueen, the deck may not be your cup of tea, but there are plenty of us here who adore it. I hardly consider myself a "hipster" in any way, shape, or form, but for those who do and love the deck, more power to them. And for those who don't and love the deck, even more power to them. I don't feel the Wild Unknown Tarot fits into any narrow category. It's all what you see in it, and what I see is the most splendid, intuitive, beautiful, and compelling Tarot deck I've used in over thirty years of reading Tarot.

Starshower

Hello. I too really LOVE the purity & simplicity of this deck. It is the only one, in my opinion, that invents a truly original interpretation of Tarot symbols & numerology without following the Marseilles, the Waite-Smith or the Thoth systems. It speaks with a fresh, natural voice to me and is the perfect antidote to all the themed decks, the OTT kitchy, over-egged ones and the RWS clones.

The designer / painter is a married female who doesn't live in Portland, have a beard or pointy shoes or pretend to be holier than anyone. Though I believe she does, like many of us, love wild nature & the countryside. I fail to see why this is a bad thing with a 'trendy'(!) label.
From the subtlety of the images, I feel that she certainly does have a profound understanding of Tarot ... sufficient to present her own, unique interpretation of its subtle, understated symbolism.
This deck whispers to me in the twilight ... like the sound of muffled hoof-beats and a few twigs breaking, or a rushing stream and the wind in the trees overhead, or the crisp rustle of dry leaves.

My deck (1st batch) feels lovely and 'crunchy' (matt & thick) and had no smell whatsoever.
I've been terribly busy recently but hope to join in more with the study / discussion threads on this treasure when I can. :)

@Pixna: I echo your sentiments precisely and am pleased to meet someone so articulate (and who knows that 'phenomenon' is singular & 'phenomena' plural - a rare treat these days! lol.)

Mariqueen

I wasn't saying the artist was a hipster, I was clarifying what a hipster was since so many people didn't know/asked. The watercolor and ink art style is trendy right now and all over sites like tumblr, instagram, and pinterest with inspirational~ quotes and an excessive use of triangles. When I got this deck, it immediately made me think of those pictures.

Starshower

An off-topic aside: Well, I've done some research via my son & his gf about hipsters. Apparently, it's all in the big hair & Amish-style overgrown beards, narrow or retro '50s trousers, brogues or pointy shoes (as you say, Mariqueen) and waistcoats & / or fairisle jumpers & heavy-rimmed spectacles. And they use analogue & retro things like 'wireless sets', old-fashioned typewriters, sit-up-&-beg bicycles, old wooden school desks, anglepoise lamps & pens with ink. The girls wear '50s dresses, bright retro lipstick and those glasses that go up at the corners, like their eyeliner. Oh, and satchels, for both / all genders. It's WONDERFUL!
I've seen lots of youngsters dressed like this in London & in my fashionable south coast town ... some even pose on the seafront, sitting at little desks, with notices declaring "Poet for hire." It's all most amusing and nostalgic (for oldies like me, who remember these fashions from last time round) and is such fun! It seems to be a tribal style, like mod, rocker, grunge, punk, new romantic, glam rock, hippy, biker etc. I LOVE this latest, better-than-the-'beat-poets' one (except for those horrible beards!) I want to be one, but am far too old. :grin:

Anyway, you may be right about the marketing of this deck in America. I hadn't realised it was beloved of hipsters & aimed at them over there. I didn't even know that Tarot was mainstream enough to have mass appeal ...
My local Urban Outfitters had never heard of Tarot at all, still less the Wild Unknown - & I asked at least 6 uber-hip young shop staff, sporting regulation multiple piercings, ripped black, ragged clothes, black lipstick & nails and tattoos galore - who stared blankly at me. So this oldie knew of something they didn't. ;)

Sorry, mods. That was fun.

The Wild Unknown deck still seems to have a genuine feel, with a heartfelt, subtle, secret connection to Nature in its very simplicity. It doesn't seem posey or fake at all to me.

I find it very intimate. The close-ups of animals, looking real, glimpsed in the twilight, have an almost supernatural sense of presence ... I can almost feel, hear and smell them.
That Hermit is just beautiful! :heart:
I'd love to hear how / why others love it too!

ps I love "excessive use of triangles"! Fabulous phrase! :) Must find out how to use Instagram ...