Therapy: Definition

Teheuti

Fudugazi said:
there are now many therapies - involving the body, the soul and the mind - which are not psychotherapy. Any definition that narrowed them out would not reflect the truth of therapy today. Tarot can be used in several of these - for instance, in modern shamanic practice, in pathwalking, in past life healing, etc.
I agree with you that therapy should not overemphasize psychotherapy - what I meant was to open the definition to some of the characteristics that include the psyche and "attending," rather than the narrower ones that see therapy only as "treatment." Even the word healing implies that the therapist has to "fix" something - and I don't think that's necessarily so. I like the idea of nurturing as Aolfe mentioned, or supporting a person's own process.

I'm so glad that more of you joined in. Perhaps we can come up with several definitions that indicate the range of experiences we find here (rather than trying to get it all in one short definition).

I think the short definition that Crowned One and I hammered out yesterday is a good place to start. Plus, there's my own short definition that stresses "attending." Now we need a couple more that cover things that were left out.

Teheuti

I formally call myself a 'midwife of the soul,' only finding out after I had made it up that Freud had coined the term. I came to it when I was pregnant and friends with a midwife who wrote a book called _A Guide to Midwifery: Heart and Hands_. She stressed that it is the woman who has to give birth (barring extreme complications), and that a midwife comes from words meaning "with the wife." She is there to assist the woman in her own process.

Mary

Elven

Fudugazi said:
I'm so glad that more of you joined in. Perhaps we can come up with several definitions that indicate the range of experiences we find here (rather than trying to get it all in one short definition).

I agree that this could be a good approach. After thumbing through 'definitions' several disciplines have their own 'definition' of therapy/therapeutic/therapist, none of them the 'same' in a sense, and are applicable to their realm - Medical Interpretations are 'differnt' to psychology definitions, are different to anthropolgy definitions, are different to spiritual definitions ... the list goes on ... so trying to define the term as an actual and definite term is a bit 'confusing'.

Im wondering what we are trying to focusthis definition upon? Anything in particular or are we trying to make an umbrella? Im sorry, I dont understand maybe, what Im trying to define. :(

Blessings Elven

Teheuti

Elven said:
I agree that this could be a good approach. After thumbing through 'definitions' several disciplines have their own 'definition' of therapy/therapeutic/therapist, none of them the 'same' in a sense, and are applicable to their realm - Medical Interpretations are 'differnt' to psychology definitions, are different to anthropolgy definitions, are different to spiritual definitions ... the list goes on ... so trying to define the term as an actual and definite term is a bit 'confusing'.

Im wondering what we are trying to focusthis definition upon? Anything in particular or are we trying to make an umbrella? Im sorry, I dont understand maybe, what Im trying to define. :(

Blessings Elven
Yes, I think we are looking for a many colored umbrella (or interconnected umbrellas). Many discussions break down because everyone has their own unspoken (and often unconscious) idea of what's being talked about, but these differ so greatly that the discussion never gets anywhere and falls into chaos.

If we can agree on a range of definitions for therapy - so that we all know the overall possibilities then, when we get to tarot and therapy, we at least understand the basic ingredients of what we are talking about.

For instance, we might agree that "flour" in a recipe can mean whole wheat, white, rye, soy, etc., but that nut & seed meals (almond, flax, etc.) are not equivalents and that the dough might not rise.

Elven - you offered a list of things you felt defined therapy. It turns out that a similar list is given as "Personal Moral Qualities" (or virtues) by the British Association for Counseling & Psychotherapy (BACP) in their "Ethical Framework": http://www.bacp.co.uk/admin/structure/files/pdf/ethical_framework_web.pdf

They say about their list of qualities or virtues:
It is inappropriate to prescribe that all practitioners possess these qualities, since it is fundamental that these personal qualities are deeply rooted in the person concerned and developed out of personal commitment rather than the requirement of an external authority.

Both your list and theirs are extremely important - they just aren't definitions of therapy in and of themselves. They are certainly something worth discussing on this board.

Mary

Elven

Ah, Ok Mary, I getting the hang of it (I think). Thankyou for the link and the reply. I understand what they have explained related to those qualities I listed. Thankyou for the exlpanation.

I was thinking once more about words of definition, and have been brought to this one - which came out of the word therapy as I was focusing on it.

So here's another:
It comes from two words I was getting - 'appease' and 'ease' ...
Ther-ap -ease: A beneficial act (of treatment) with the intention to ease.

Teheuti

Elven said:
It comes from two words I was getting - 'appease' and 'ease' ...
Ther-ap -ease: A beneficial act with the intention to ease.
I like this. I often think of therapy in terms of alleviating "dis-ease" - meaning any situation where one is out-of-ease. So, ease fits beautifully with the intention side of the definition - a simple result which I never thought of, no matter how many times I used my hyphenated dis-ease. Thank you.

Elven

Nice catch Mary, I was trying to add an ending word to show a contrast - and you've got it - dis-ease! ...

would it work then to add something like ... to ease dis-ease?
(I aslo added the bracketed word treatment in the post above to try and incorporate the 'therapy' into the sentance as a subject)

Debra

When I was getting certified as a yoga instructor, they stressed that we should not call ourself therapists or claim to do yoga therapy.

Even though yoga practice has "therapeutic effects" (well, duh--it can change you in profound ways) calling it "therapy" has legal and ethical implications that can't be met if one isn't properly trained and certified etc.

Teheuti

Debra said:
Even though yoga practice has "therapeutic effects" (well, duh--it can change you in profound ways) calling it "therapy" has legal and ethical implications that can't be met if one isn't properly trained and certified etc.
Good point. However, everyone needs to look into the laws of the state or country in which you live. These differ strongly.

The State of California says:
"Individuals who provide psychotherapy or counseling, either in person, by telephone, or over the Internet, are required by law to be licensed. Licensing requirements vary by state. Individuals who provide psychotherapy or counseling to persons in California are required to be licensed in California. Such licensure permits the consumer to pursue recourse against the licensee should the consumer believe that the licensee engaged in unprofessional conduct."

There is currently a move to get a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) on the books in California. They note that it would be comparable to Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSWs) and with Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs) in 49 states. Additionally, you have to have the appropriate degrees to call yourself a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

Here are notes about who would be exempt from the LPC licensure:
Counselors who work in exempt settings (government agencies, non-profit agencies and educational institutions) and counselors who do not practice psychotherapy. Also exempt are members of the clergy, physicians and attorneys.

The term therapist seems to be even more confused. And coaching currently falls outside of such licenses. You can also be an occupational therapist, massage therapist, aromatherapist, etc. - some of which have licensing bodies in California and some do not. For instance, you can be a Certified Massage Therapist CMT (certification of completion of a program), or a Licensed Massage Therapist - LMT (has additional requirements) - but neither is required to practice massage in California.

Teheuti

Coaching

Life (or Personal) Coaching is a path that many therapeutic tarot readers have gone. Anyone can call themselves a coach and take on clients, although there are numerous certifying and credentialing programs and organizations.

A wikipedia article notes:
Life coaching is a practice with the stated aim of helping clients determine and achieve personal goals.

Coaching and therapy both focus on helping clients discover their own solutions.

Some have asserted that life coaching amounts to little more than psychotherapy without restrictions, oversight, or regulation.

The State legislatures of Colorado after holding a hearing on such concerns, disagreed, asserting that coaching is unlike therapy because it does not focus on examining nor diagnosing the past. Instead coaching focuses on effecting change in a client's current and future behavior.

Some interesting distinctions here.