Tips for the Newbie

Kreative-Dragon

Tips for the Newbie on public readings

So, in some time, I am going to be going "professional" with my reading. I'll be opening a booth up at a fundraising event my school holds on the 19th.

I have read for a couple of people, but they have all been either very close friends or family, and it's been an... hour long per reading.

SO, my question is what advice and such can you give me so this runs a little smoother?
Thank you thank you thank you.

VGimlet

Hydrate. Bring lots of water. You are going to get dry.

You are going to have a line, I bet.

Use a simple spread. 3-5 cards. Have fun.

The first time I did this I was kind of, hmmm, not nervous really, but not sure how it was all going to go. And it rocked. So, relax and enjoy it. :D

aranarose

Get a recorder and practice, practice, practice. Role play with friends. Have them pretend to be clients with all sorts of different issues: relationship, money, health, etc. As well as have them be different kids of clients: scared first timer, psychic junkie, skeptic dragged along by a friend, desperate soul who thinks their spouse is cheating....

starrystarrynight

As others may have already said...

Bring a timer and set limits. The more readings you can do, the more money you can make for the fundraiser. You might want to bring a tip jar or fish bowl marked with a note saying that proceeds will go to the fundraiser. If you have to collect money, bring a small cash box to place your proceed in.

Do small readings--maybe 3 to 5 cards and 15 to 20 minutes each--and post that fact (you can make a small sign up ahead of time and place it on a small easel on your table, or something like that.)

Keep hydrated and bring plenty of bottled water. You may want to have mints or throat lozenges on hand, too.

Have business cards and flyers handy for give-aways if you want to promote your business beyond the fundraiser.

A nice reading cloth looks nice for your table, as well...and a chair for yourself and your client, of course.

Make it fun and inviting...the more welcome people feel, the more they will be inclined to take a seat and get a reading from you!

Kreative-Dragon

Thank you all so much for your input. Another question, should I offer different decks, or stick with one? I have two right now, Dragon Tarot and Quantum Tarot.

aranarose

Kreative-Dragon said:
Thank you all so much for your input. Another question, should I offer different decks, or stick with one? I have two right now, Dragon Tarot and Quantum Tarot.

I would take both, but not necessarily offer both, unless you feel strongly that you should. A lot of people are pretty clueless about tarot decks, and having them pick can slow down the process. When it's one-on-one, just me and the client, and no real time pressure, I'll have them pick, but in a situation where time is essential, I just grab the deck and read.

nisaba

I'm the opposite. Take both, have the same Major Arcana card on top of both, show the client and ask them which image they prefer without inviting them to look through the whole deck. That way they feel empowered, they feel as if they're really being heard through having their artistic tastes comsulted up-front. And also, it affirms to them that you're competent - you can read with any deck even if it's not of your choice. And the process of choice makes them open up their energies, and the reading flows smoother.

Years ago, I used to choose the deck to read with. Then I started to choose a group of four-to-six decks to have on my table with me with the same card showing when reading at a venue, and evey single client appreciated it. Of course, if I were now to lay out a hundred decks for them to choose from none of them would appreciate it at all so I still use a smaller group, and periodically change them.

With two decks - have both there. The Quantum *really* appeals to scientifically-minded people and people who consider themselves modern. I don't know the Dragon Tarot at all, but I can't be alone in disliking dragons, and I know there are people who think thoroughly modern decks like the Quantum" aren't traditional enough", so have both available.

Rev_Vesta

We are all so different....

For me when at a fair/expo I take alot of different decks.... Oracle and tarot.... I do ask if they want a Tarot or Angel Reading? then depends on the client will decide myself which deck I will use.... for the reading.....

Depends on the cost of the reading, do I decide How long I will do it and how many cards needed......be quite concise if what you will do for how much and stick to it in that setting- they can book for a longer session later in a private setting if need be.....

To be quick.. I ask the client to choose the first two or three cards then I do the rest of the spread.... makes it much quicker than allowing the client to choose all 10-12 cards.....for a 15 min reading....

During the day, do take regular breaks..... Cut The Cords with Archangel Michael......Healing with Archangel Raphael... drink plenty of water and something to nibble....(keep your vibrations at its highest...)....

keep Signage clear and readable with a price on it.... and how long your readings are for..... eg... Tarot Readings...
15 mins- $20.....

Quite big and very clear....(no fancy unreadable writing...)

Be honest in how long you have been reading for and be able to explain quite comfortably about what your readings entail........ Be Confident in self......Customers know if you are not who you say you are......

have fun and enjoy the day........ YOu will do well.......

re-pete-a

The last fund raiser I did, I posted a sign
"$2.00 donation per card"

Some took just one ,others took 10+. Some came back for more.

For a two hours sitting and just 15 'select people' in attendance, (they had pre paid to have a charity dinner) none of which had their cards read before ;a fair amount of money was raised.Close to the $100 mark.

I was invited as a novelty act.

Do have some contact business cards on hand for later if you intend to go at it as a business.

You will need the water and some humour.

VGimlet

I usually take at least 2-3 decks to events.

I let them choose which one they want.