towards some Meditations on the Minors

Monk Rock

since the discussions of "Meditations on the Tarot" seemed to be located here, i'll post here regarding my attempt at a continuation of the book's anonymous author's work, until directed elsewhere...

also, while the edition of the book i read had images of some version of the Marseille deck, i'm not specifically focusing on that deck. my background is rooted more with the RWS and Thoth tarots, while at the moment Kat Black's Golden Tarot is current favorite... in the work i'm doing, i'm attempting a more-or-less general approach that, hopefully, might be applicable to more than one deck... we'll see...

i read MotT about 8 years ago, so the content of the book is somewhat foggy, nonetheless, pathways it opened up for me--to consider hermeticism in an catholic context--have been extremely valuable in my subsequent spiritual meanderings. at the end of the book, the author invites the reader to continue the work of the book by exploring the minors in a similar vein...

approaches thus far:

1. to relate the suits to the elements of the Eucharist, seeing transubstantiation as an analogue to the alchemical goal of transforming lead to gold... correspondingly, the numbered cards are then seen as the stages in the process of transubstantiation. the four elements of the Eucharist also correspond to four aspects of the story of Jesus Christ as well;

2. a possible means of relating the 10 pips of a suit to the seven-fold alchemical process (or the traditional seven-stepped stairway to heaven) is through kabbalah... we have the 10 sephiroth which correspond with the 10 commanding statements of Elohim in the first chapter of Genesis, these are then grouped into the seven days of creation (i'm also incorporating the 11 statements of the Rosicrucian Pattern on the Trestleboard);

3. the seven days of creation correspond to numerous groups of sevens, but relevant to my studies are the seven miracles of Christ in John's gospel, the seven I AM statements of Christ in the same, the seven sacraments of the church, the seven services (that take place during the day) comprising the Liturgy of the Hours, the seven liturgical seasons of the church;

4. the court cards correspond to the four orders of the church: laity, deacon, priest, bishop. grouping these together can provide another metaphor for personal wholeness parallel to the Eucharist and the story of Christ...

i can diagram some of this further if anyone so desires... all this is still in a relatively early stage in development, is there any thing i might be missing? am i barking down the wrong track? any thoughts? bueller?

Monk Rock

correspondence of Eucharistic elements to suits

EUCHARISTIC WINE/BLOOD OF CHRIST
(fire/wands) + (water/cups)
wine + water in chalice*
*remember, wine was traditionally mixed with water before it was served

EUCHARISTIC BREAD/BODY OF CHRIST
(swords) + (pentacles)
broken bread + paten

Wands (fire) = Incarnate by the Holy Spirit
Cups (water) = Born of the Virgin Mary
Swords (air) = Proclaimed the Gospel, gave Himself up to death
Pentacles (earth) = Made the whole creation new

Also, we find in the Gospel of Phillip:
Blood = the Holy Spirit (fire)
Body = The Word, Logos (air?)

Moonbow

Interesting posts Monk Rock, and welcome to the Marseilles forum. You are way ahead of me because I haven't finished the book yet, I tend to dip into it on occasions. Your minor correlations tell that you have put allot of thought into this project.

Whilst searching for another member I noticed that jmd is running a course on this book, though its unfortunately not an online one:

http://www.fourhares.com/tarot/courses.html#online

He doesn't often come to the forum, but I'm sure he would like to hear of your work.

Meanwhile, please continue to post because I will be reading with interest.

RexMalaki

Moonbow* said:
Interesting posts Monk Rock, and welcome to the Marseilles forum. You are way ahead of me because I haven't finished the book yet, I tend to dip into it on occasions.

I have also not finished the book, but I will put forth renewed effort.

I was aware of the 4-hare course, but the commute to AU would be too much overhead.

Monk Rock, thanks for letting me know about this thread. I saw another member on "New Members" who may be interested in participating as well.

thinbuddha

It seems to me that someone was speaking of tackling the project of "finishing" the book by writing passages for the minors. This was a couple years ago (or more) so I don't remember who it was.

Monk Rock

thinbuddha said:
It seems to me that someone was speaking of tackling the project of "finishing" the book by writing passages for the minors. This was a couple years ago (or more) so I don't remember who it was.

/begin caveat
while what i'm doing is a response to the book, i don't feel as if i'm writing the sequel. mentioning the book does provide a certain background necessary to understanding what i'm up to, but i don't think i could come up with anything nearly as profound as the Meditations on the Tarot.

nonetheless, i'm doing what i'm doing because i feel my own spiritual progress depends on it, and i want to contribute, in whatever small way it is, to the tradition of esoteric Christianity.

i don't consider that backpedalling or a false humility. i know in my depths that i have received gnosis from God, i know that i bear truth... my humility comes from the recognition that i have nowhere near the breadth of understanding of the various strains and traditions and sources to which the anonymous author of the Meditations bears witness.

/end caveat

Monk Rock

10s and 7s

how do you make 10 fit into 7? if one recourses to the qabalistic tree of life, one sees seven horizontal levels:
Kether
Binah/Chokhmah
Geburah/Chesed
Tiphareth
Hod/Netzach
Yesod
Malkuth

those seven horizontal levels don't match up with the correspondences of the sephiroth with the seven days of creation. the sephiroth correspond to the 10 commanding statements of Elohim in Genesis, and are divided into the seven days thusly:

1ST DAY OF CREATION
Kether: In the beginning, God created
Chokhmah: God said, Let there be Light

2ND DAY OF CREATION
Binah: God said, Let there be a firmament
Chesed: God said, Let the waters be gathered

3RD DAY OF CREATION
Geburah: God said, Let the earth be vegetated

4TH DAY OF CREATION
Tiphareth: God said, Let there be luminaries

5TH DAY OF CREATION
Netzach: God said, Let the waters swarm with...

6TH DAY OF CREATION
Hod: God said, Let the earth bring forth animals
Yesod: God said, Let us make man

7TH DAY
Malkuth: God said, be fruitful and multiply

accordingly, you have a diagram that looks like this:
1 2
3 4
8 9

and since the transubstantiation process is akin to an ascent of the tree (going from mundane substance to divine), the first stage could be understood by a consideration of the 10s and their correspondences, the second by a consideration of the 8s and 9s taken together, and so on...

kwaw

Monk Rock said:
1ST DAY OF CREATION
Kether: In the beginning, God created
Chokhmah: God said, Let there be Light

Binah: God said, Let there be a firmament
Chesed: God said, Let the waters be gathered

3RD DAY OF CREATION
Geburah: God said, Let the earth be vegetated

4TH DAY OF CREATION
Tiphareth: God said, Let there be luminaries

5TH DAY OF CREATION
Netzach: God said, Let the waters swarm with...

6TH DAY OF CREATION
Hod: God said, Let the earth bring forth animals
Yesod: God said, Let us make man

7TH DAY
Malkuth: God said, be fruitful and multiply

accordingly, you have a diagram that looks like this:
1 2
3 4
8 9

and since the transubstantiation process is akin to an ascent of the tree (going from mundane substance to divine), the first stage could be understood by a consideration of the 10s and their correspondences, the second by a consideration of the 8s and 9s taken together, and so on...

That's interesting, I don't think I have seen it done that way before. More common to allocate the seven days to the seven lower sefiroth, but matching them with the commandments makes sense too.

Interesting, thankyou. I look forward to seeing how this develops:)

ps: welcome to the forum :)

Monk Rock

kwaw said:
That's interesting, I don't think I have seen it done that way before. More common to allocate the seven days to the seven lower sefiroth, but matching them with the commandments I would have guessed more to the pattern:

i'm not trying to propose a new diagram or layout for the qabalistic tree of life. the traditional setup is so extremely useful and flexible... nonetheless, i'm reminded of that constant assertion amongst accomplished esotericists that the map is not the territory. the map works for what it is, but it is still just one map among many others that still adequately describe the territory...

flying black kat

JMD - Course

Dear Moonbow:

JMD runs his course on line as well. His course is now in week 17 of 30 weeks. Each week is a new PDF document. This week it is the Hanged Man and the course uses the Noblet deck.

I am currently taking his course on line. It is a great course and I have learned a lot. Between AT, Enrique Eniquez and JMD I find that I am always comparing the different decks that make up the TDM's, TDB's and the Viscont's.

Be at Peace

Kathy