Trim or not?

BlueDragonfly

I'm a trimmer. But then, my 'collection' is small, and I don't think I'll be selling or trading decks any time soon(I didn't say never).

I love my trimmed DruidCraft, and the DAO and DPO were trimmed to match! :D

I riffle shuffle so card size isn't so much an issue, but I don't like the white borders on some decks.

Trimming is fun and addictive, and it does give the decks a more personal "feel" to them.

Kimberlee

I haven't, and would be too nervous to! (I can't even clip coupons on the dotted lines...)

But, I wouldn't mind owning a trimmed deck, if it arrived that way, and if I were truly bothered, I would be happy to send them to someone who knows what they're doing to have them trimmed.

~Kimberlee

Muir Aingeal

I just trimmed my DruidCraft, it's the first deck I've ever trimmed only because the size of the deck and the white uneven borders were irritating me to no end. I was anxious about it at first, wasn't even going to do it but after I did it I like the deck even more now. The images really pop and I can actually shuffle it now. I left the stone border and titles on and it looks really nice.

I don't think I'll be trimming anymore decks but this one needed it IMHO but just like everything it's a personal decision that can only be made by you.

WolfyJames

I said so too at first that I would never trim one of my decks...

Then I decided to try it on my Druidcraft because the deck is really big and I have tiny hands and I really love the deck. There are some decks I cannot use because of their big sizes.

In my case though I only trimmd the white excess, I like the small border and the titles of the cards. I borrowed my mother's pair of scissors and trimmed a few cards, it was a bit difficult to do. My mother was panicking about it but once the white was removed, we both agreed that the images were prettier this way.

After the Druidcraft, I did as well Druid Animal Oracle and Green Green Man Tree Oracle who were made by the same people as the Druidcraft and all three have around the same size. Then after getting a copy of the Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal, I trimmed the one I was using. I should trim at some point Druid Plant Oracle, again made by the same peope as the Druidcraft.

Beside these I don't plan to trim more.

zephyr_heart

AJ said:
we'll talk again in a year or two...Never is a word that dooms you to break your word~~

I like my deck the way it is, so I will most probably never ever trim. But as you've said, we shall see it again in the future.

But then again, perhaps I would never trim by myself. If I would look for a trimmed deck, I would prefer buy a used one that has been trimmed, or trade mine with a trimmed one.

zephyr_heart

nisaba said:
Nope, not a trimmer.

I use the borders as a meditative device: they form the walls, floor and ceiling of a hallway leading into the card, enabling me to enter right into it. In the two or three borderless cards I have (one of them the incomparable Quantum!), the lack of borders makes it harder for me to enter into the card. Not harder to read, just harder when I'm meditating on an image and I want to get right in there.

I am completely agree with you, nisaba! Untrimmed ones are the best ever:thumbsup:.
LOVIN' IT! :* :heart:

olivia1

no.

zephyr_heart said:
Just curious, do you trim or not?

As for me, I NEVER trim, and will NEVER do so.

I purchased a deck once that was too big for me to shuffle. So I trimmed it. The second day of having the deck, I decided that I didn't like it but despite being new it was a nightmare to resell. I was very lucky to have found a buyer on AT. to this day, i suspect he purchased the deck in part because he felt sorry for me. Bless him. So, no to ever trimming a deck again. Unless I had one of those machines that could just trim the whole deck evenly at one go (because even if I wasn't planning on reselling a deck, i don't like when the cards aren't all exactly the same size).

Orenda

Orenda said:
Trimmed a Universal Waite to remove white borders, and have that blue sky on backs. I actually blistered my thumb knuckle on the scissors by the end of it all!

You will find that some cards look as if I cut off the spacing of PCS's writing (eg: Page of Cups, really all Pages) as she has it so far left-aligned to the border. Really study how the deck will appear if you're considering trimming!

Personally, I would not do this again, but I do like the results on this deck.
Interesting trimming discovery... when holding the Univeral Waite, trimmed to remove borders but kept titles as shared above, I found the size comforting. During our local tarot meetup, I said (thoughtlessly):

This is the size of my Ancient Etruria Minchiate deck or dang close.

Compared the decks, and identical size! Good to know for those who have that deck or could hold it for size ;)

Revelry

Noooo, I could never. Well, maybe not never.. but..

As of right now, I don't own any decks that I absolutely hate the border on, and even if I did, I don't have any tools that would be precise enough to mess around with. I'm not about to safety scissor my way through a deck. If in the future I fall in love with a deck and the border is so heinous I can't enjoy it, then I'd probably figure something out to trim them off.

I hope it doesn't come to that though.

kittiann

There's only two decks that I really want to trim.. a large Thoth, and the Fifth Tarot. The Fifth tarot is just so huge, it's almost unusable as a tarot for me! Unfortunately, I do not trust myself with scissors. So I'll just have to wait until the universe brings me someone good at trimming, or my hubby suddenly wants to trim all those cards for me :D