Unicursal Hexagram

Julien

ravenest said:
Has anyone done a little pathworking trip on the ToL following the path of the U.H. instead of the normal patterns on ToL??
That might be interesting.
Aeon418 said:
It sounds interesting but is it possible? Only four lines on the U.H. match up with the paths on the ToL.

Could you two explain both comments to a newbie??? ;) Thank you...

Julien

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
It sounds interesting but is it possible? Only four lines on the U.H. match up with the paths on the ToL.

Well one could use those and use the other paths as detours to get to the Sephiroth in question .......

..... or just follow the ' hidden' (or as I prefer 'secret') paths. :laugh:

I guess what I am really wondering about is actually the progression or order of the Sepiroth following the pattern on the U.H.

Damn! I'll have to go do it myself now!

ravenest

Julien said:
Could you two explain both comments to a newbie??? ;) Thank you...

Julien

Opps! Posted the above before I read your question Julian.

Look up, google, or check books on pathworkings.

Its a visualisatiuon process where you astral travel (imagine) you are travelling along a pathway that connects 2 Sepiroth on the Tree of Life.

Mostly people seem to have an experience that combines both Sepiroth that the path connects, or one of the major trumps (those being attributed to the path) ... or really, anything else can happen.

The paths are usually explored in a specific order, ascending or descending on the Tree of Life.

However they can be done differently straight up the middle, or the left hand side. etc. or a circle around the middle (we are getting a bit far out and non-traditional now.

So why not do a series of paths that follow the pattern of the U.H. on the Tree? perhaps there is a hidden signifance there that becomes apparent after one does it. [eg. I did a pathworking coming 'down the tree' and working with specific energies which resulted in a very different conciousness from normal (ie. from normal states after pathworkings.)]

If you want to know more, perhaps post in Spirituality forum.

I'll leave it up to Aeon to explain why my idea is flawed (as pointed out above)

[ .... then I'll explain my B.S. cover up ... :laugh:]

Aeon418

Julien said:
Could you two explain both comments to a newbie??? ;)
As ravenest as already said Pathworking is a visualisation technique that enables you to experience and explore the nature of the paths on the qabalistic Tree of Life. Because the Major Arcana are attributed to the 22 paths you can use them as visual doorways to path working.

N.B. It's not a good idea to try pathworking unless you use some form of "Banishing" rite. Pathworking can sometimes leave you feeling a little weird. Banishing before hand clears the air, banishing after will ground you again.

There are a few different ways, but one way to work is to visualise as strongly as possible the appropriate Tarot card painted on a door. You walk through the door and let the "astral vision" unfold. When it's done you make a careful record of it and check it with a qabalistic reference work, such as Crowley's 777. If what you saw matches up with the correspondences of the Tarot card / Path you are working with, then you have had an authentic "astral vision" that should have increased your knowledge of the card and the path. If the symbols don't match you've just been day dreaming.

Day dreaming isn't harmful of course. But if you are engaged in astral work you must assume that everything is guilty until proven innocent. Believe nothing until you have checked and confirmed it to be authentic. This is VERY important and goes a long way toward explaining why there are so many weirdo's involved with the New Age movement. :rolleyes:

Crowley's thoughts on "testing the spirits" from Magick Without Tears:
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/mwt/mwt_17.html

Back to the U.H......

What ravenest was suggesting is doing a pathworking along the paths that correspond with the Uni Hex if it were traced over the Tree of Life. Unfortunately you can't trace the Uni Hex on the Tree of Life using the existing paths. ;)

ravenest said:
[ .... then I'll explain my B.S. cover up ... ]
I can hardly wait. :laugh:

Julien

Thank you both.

With due respect to the particular practices you both are writing about and, I hope, without sounding as though I'm downplaying important differences; it sounds remarkably like a meditation technique I learned through Buddhism that I have practiced for several years. The differences between meditation and daydreaming are fairly important ones, and I take that quite seriously. ;) And, I find Aeon, meditation often leaves one feeling a little odd if you go deeply enough into the practice. For me, this does require a certain set of rituals, though I suspect they are different in the specifics from the banishing ritual you mention...

While new to the Thoth, I'm not new to spirituality. ;)

I'm more curious, though, about why the Uni Hex in my deck can't be traced along the Tree of Life... Or what the particular disagreement here is all about... I'm still not quite clear on that point.

Julien

Aeon418

Julien said:
With due respect to the particular practices you both are writing about and, I hope, without sounding as though I'm downplaying important differences; it sounds remarkably like a meditation technique I learned through Buddhism that I have practiced for several years.
I suppose it all depends on your definition of meditation. Personally I would not confuse Astral work with meditation. They are very distinct and seperate to me. As far as I'm concerned having an Astral vision or even a day dream during a meditation where I'm trying quiet the mind would be a disaster and completely contrary to my intentions.

Meditation is designed to still the mind. Astral work is more of an exploration of the self. Doing so with Tarot you can focus on one small section of yourself and explore it in detail. But you need some sort of technique that puts that one piece back into correct relation with the others when you are done. The supposed danger of not doing so is obsession.
Julien said:
I'm more curious, though, about why the Uni Hex in my deck can't be traced along the Tree of Life... Or what the particular disagreement here is all about... I'm still not quite clear on that point.
The simplest way to do this is to trace the Uni Hex over the Tree of Life. The centre is in Tiphareth, the top point in Daath, and the bottom point in Yesod. The four side points will now naturally line up with Chesed, Geburah, Hod, and Netzach. Unfortunately for ravenest's idea there are no paths joining Daath to Hod or Netzach. Neither are there paths joining Yesod to Chesed and Geburah.

It was a nice idea, but it wouldn't work in practice unless you redesigned the Tree first.

Lillie

Changing the subject a little.
Thgis has nothing to do with the tree of life or anything like that.
Just a personal thingy with me and the hex.

Around the time I got into the tarot and got the Thoth I was also getting into a lot of other things.
One of which was the number 23.
Or rather, a number of things I was getting into all led to the number 23.

And 23 became very significant to me, as it is significant to other people too.
And to me the Hex was the 23rd card of the major arcana.
Which, in my own personal philosophy it needed in order to be complete.

Cos there is only 22, and for me that was just begging, needing even, a 23rd card.
And the hex was there.
And it became that for me, so that's one of the resons I find that card to be significant, because when it comes up it is not just the hex, but it is also the number.

I don't suppose that anyone ele would see it like that, or draw the same conclusions or significance for it that I do.
I'm not saying that other people should see it like that, I'm just saying that I do.

ravenest

Very interesting Lillie! I too don't see the majors ending at at 22. It is either a circle or a spiral. I often consider making the fool 23 (on the next lap of the majors) but the UH fits in fine there.

Of course,being being a 23 nut myself might be why I like the idea, but also consider.
The human has 46 lots of chromosones (23 pairs) On the 23rd pair is a bonding irregularity which allows the thread to split and replicate itself, ie; form a totally new series and cycle and eventualy a new incarnation.

Perhaps we have our own uh built in genetically. Also it is only on the 23 pair that any difference is shown between male and female.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Back to the U.H......

What ravenest was suggesting is doing a pathworking along the paths that correspond with the Uni Hex if it were traced over the Tree of Life. Unfortunately you can't trace the Uni Hex on the Tree of Life using the existing paths. ;)

I can hardly wait. :laugh:

Well, ... erm ah, its all very secret and well, first of all you'd have to prove you are initiated ... and if you're not ... well (huff! harumph! ...) I doubt I would be able to explain it to the likes of you!

if however you are a true seeker and still desire to penetrate this mystery, you could join our little humble organisation - then I can reveal all to you.
Ah ... it will cost a bit ... and there is a ritual involved.

next full Moon put $200 in a cedar box, say Abracadabra over it and then bury it in the back yard ... one of our underground agents will contact you soon.

Lillie

ravenest said:
Very interesting Lillie! I too don't see the majors ending at at 22. It is either a circle or a spiral. I often consider making the fool 23 (on the next lap of the majors) but the UH fits in fine there.

Of course,being being a 23 nut myself might be why I like the idea, but also consider.
The human has 46 lots of chromosones (23 pairs) On the 23rd pair is a bonding irregularity which allows the thread to split and replicate itself, ie; form a totally new series and cycle and eventualy a new incarnation.

Perhaps we have our own uh built in genetically. Also it is only on the 23 pair that any difference is shown between male and female.

Yay!

Another one!

Yes, of course, it all goes in a circle, or a spiral.
I just like the idea of 23 cards in the majors.
It sees right.
Though bringing the fool back to do double duty works, the fact that in my Thoth there was a 23rd card right there for me to use seemed fitting somehow.

Where did you get your 23 obsession from originally?