Universal Fantasy - Wider Perspective

thorhammer

Hello, all those UF fans! I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss the overall theme or perspective of this deck. I hope the mods approve and don't merge this with "Musings", as I do have a point. I just hope I can make it clear.

I get a strong sense with this deck that there's a message, a big one, of which each card is one of 78 little pieces. There are tantalising hints of connection between cards that I never would have linked in other decks, and it seems to me that there's a promise, or a grand story, hidden throughout this deck.

For instance, there's a recurrent theme of questing. I know that Tarot in general takes this analogy, with the Fool's Journey and suchlike, but for some reason, in this deck it seems to have an added dimension. The Knights, particularly Swords and Wands, 7-Swords, 6-Wands, 10-Pents, Chariot, 5-Swords, 7-Pents to name a few, exemplify this theme. I would love to hear if anyone else gets this feeling.

Also, there seems to be a slightly skewed - in a good way - take on the Elements. The whole deck is very "airy", to me. Look at the Ace of Pents. If ever there was to be a card that should be grounded, it's this one, but they're suspended in the air. Why? The 9-Pents, on the other hand, is very "watery"; the 6-Wands, "earthy"; it's like they're mixing and matching for some reason. And I don't think it's a case of a lack of skill or knowledge of Tarot symbology. I think it's deliberate, and I want to know what others out there think about this.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. The threads on individual cards are great and are helping me hugely, but I'd like to discuss the message/story of the deck as a whole, as I have a strong feeling it's important.

\m/ Kat

6 Haunted Days

I absolutely adore this deck, but have not pulled it out in awhile. Your thoughts and hints have inspired me to pull this striking deck out again, I want to see the connections and whispers of a grand mesage for myself. I really think you're on to something here!

Rede Seeker

I agree

I ken a greater theme to the Universal Fantasy deck, too. I own several decks and work with them over several years, however this is the first deck that has spoken to me in my dreams. Very wyrd, that.

This subject will take time to evolve. In the mean time, what category would you put it under if 'Musings' doesn't feel right?

thorhammer

Rede Seeker said:
This subject will take time to evolve. In the mean time, what category would you put it under if 'Musings' doesn't feel right?
"Unified Theory of the Universal Fantasy"?

I'm only half joking.

\m/ Kat

Rede Seeker

Ut-uf!

The acronym makes a good battlecry - yes?

Queen of Disks

I have to think on this one. If there is an underlying story here, then I haven't seen it yet...

Lithargoel

I believe this is the first deck I have ever seen/owned where the pictures actually come alive in my imagination when I look at them.
I don't mean anything paranormal here, just that they instantly spark a kind of "movie clip" in my mind's eye of what is happening, like it is a still frame from a much longer piece of action.

I am really fascinated by this deck and the world it depicts... and wonder if there is a history to the world or if there is any specific storyline going on here...

thorhammer

Rede Seeker said:
The acronym makes a good battlecry - yes?
I only just got this . . . call me stupid :rolleyes: But yes, that's good LOL

\m/ Kat

EarthAngel2911

Hi kat. Thank you for linking this thread from your Seven of Chalices post; I'm not sure I would have found it otherwise!

I love that you asked these questions, because as I've gone through this deck, I feel the same way. I love to try to see connections in certain cards, ones that you wouldn't normally find. I'm not sure about a grand theme that we're supposed to figure out, but who knows? Maybe. I don't know anything about this artist and what background he might have in Tarot. I don't feel a need for any kind of companion book (not that we would get one), but it would have been nice to have been given more background on the artist and his thoughts on the themes he presents.

The biggest hurdle I had was trying to reconcile the elements to the suits. Finally, I just resigned myself to the fact that this is just an airy deck, so instead of trying to assign elements to suits and using those associations in readings, I just end up reading the elements within the individual cards. There is, in fact, very little fire, LOTS of air, and a good amount of earth and water. I honestly don't know if I believe there was an overall plan to this...

Speaking of links between cards, how about this link for you: ;)
I see a link between the purple flag of The Fool to his Journey. The Fool holds his purple flag, the blue butterflies have morphed from the feathers in his hair, his journey begins in his mind...
The Magician wears this purple flag as a cape as he explores his new found powers....
The High Priestess wears this flag on her body as full clothing as her intuition flows from above throughout her being...
The Hermit has worn this flag as a cloak, and you can see the trials he's been through, the flag/cloak tattered and worn...
Then we see the purple flag/material flowing around and behind Justice, still spinning round and round from its ride on the Wheel....
Do we now see it morph into the Devil, personal vices that we try to escape? (And finally slay in the Ten of Swords where our Devil turns green as it dies)....

Ok, I know the Ten of Swords is a stretch to the monster in The Devil, but I couldn't help but see a correlation. :)

I also see similarities between the large bird in The Hanged Man with the phoenix of Judgement...

Just some thoughts that have gone through my head as I've used this deck... :)

thorhammer

EarthAngel, thanks for posting your ideas! I hadn't made the purple cloak connection, but you can bet your butt I'll be looking for it now! :D
EarthAngel2911 said:
The biggest hurdle I had was trying to reconcile the elements to the suits. Finally, I just resigned myself to the fact that this is just an airy deck . . .
I know exactly what you mean! The Aces of Chalices and Pentacles are especially disconcerting at first . . . I'm down with the Ace of Pents now, but the Ace of Chalices still gives me the willies. And the Queens . . . :rolleyes:

I have noticed a travelling, questy sort of theme through the deck. As I said, the 7 of Chalices fits into it (being waylaid by daydreams), as does the Knight of Chalices (driven by the passion of the quest), the 9 of Wands (a rest stop), the 4 of Chalices (deep in self-doubt and despair, like the Swamps of Sadness in "The Neverending Story"), the 10 of Swords (the guardian of the Prize?), the 6 of Pents (somehow, I'll figure it out later), the 5 of Swords (an opponent to be overcome at a crossroads) and so on.

Thanks, once again, for your thoughts. I hope you've bookmarked this and you can find your way back! It's in the Study Groups Index thread, anyway :)

\m/ Kat