Untitled deck - 7 cards completed!

Ravenswing

doin good there...

Sara--

I've just found this thread and, at the moment, have only taken a look at your first seven. Beautiful cards, they be.

I can't decide whether the Fool's male or female-- truely wonderful.

I love your Magician concept. Personally, I link the swords with cups, the wands with coins-- just my view. The lemniscate is great!

The High Priestess and the Empress are real good. I like their positioning and symbology. My only problem with them is that they seem to be wearing the same outfit-- again, just my view.

I think your problem with the Lovers and the Hierophant is that you're staying too close to the Rider deck. The other cards are a fresh and new look. Get rid of the monks, the keys as pillars is brilliant-- it ties the High Priestess to the Hierophant

keep it goin'

fly well
Raven

chersprite

wow! I love the fool and the empress especially!

Good luck with the deck,

Joanna x

SarahLikesPink

Ravenswing - thankyou so much for your comments :) the advice about the lovers and heirophant is spot on! They don't seem to fit into the deck as well as the others!

Getting rid of the monks sounds brilliant - I didn't have much fun drawing the back of some monks' heads! The only thing I'm worried about is changing the card's meaning too much. Do you (or anyone!) have any suggestions of what I could do in their place?

Thanks all again for taking the time to comment!

UniversalSeeker

Hierophant

I love your cards. What about small children instead of Monks? I like the symbolism to stay close to R-W it makes it so easy to read. What do you have planned for the minors?

Keep up the great work.

US

Crowqueen

They are incredible - a real pro!!! You go girl!

Very modern take on traditional imagery: (in a good way) they remind me of Bratz dolls (which to me are the most beautiful toys from the modern era), and the design is very sleek and trendy.

I love the Wheel of Fortune design, the idea of day and night is a novel one and it is far and away the most original card you've done so far, of course not denigrating any of the others in terms of technique, nevertheless the imagery is very standard.

I think I agree with Baba that perhaps there is a lot of blue and green in the backgrounds and you may need to "differentiate" more, but that's just nit-picking really.

Looking forward to more when they come. You obviously have a real talent - IMHO the best artists are all self-taught initially and only need to take classes to hone and improve their native talent. Even using books such as "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" are auto-didactic and unlock latent talent for those who are interested. Thus each artist develops their own style - I remember trying hard to copy Chagall's style at university, only to give up in frustration when I couldn't get his fluidity and found it difficult to fill a large page. When I let go of his style and returned to detailed comics, I found that my own satisfaction lay in creating the world and finding new ways of looking at it, new vantage points to place the "camera", so to speak, and eventually I managed to look Chagall square in the eye with some of my own illustrations that didn't copy him but still managed to find an echo of his graceful figurative paintings.

Keep on with it!

SarahLikesPink

You're all making me blush with your lovely comments! :D

I love the idea of children instead of monks! I had the idea to do Death as a child, but was worried it would stand alone a bit if there were no other children in the deck. I wont be redoing the Heirophant or Lovers until the end of the deck though, but I have taken your ideas on board.

Hopefully be back some with some more cards to show you! :)

Sidhe-Ra

I am loving your style! Thank you for sharing :)

Colby

WOW!!! I'm no expert in the Tarot or Art but I do know when I like something and I definitely like your artwork and how you've represented each card. I like all cards - especially The Empress... she's gorgeous.

I'm off to check out your logo on the witchcrafting site :)