using a box with salt

starrystarrynight

Annia, I think that what got me was that it sounded as if the professional reader you went to declared that if you didn't use salt as a protective agent with your cards, they would somehow "turn against you." And that turn of phrase is what startled and amused me.

I mean, as others have said, cards are merely little pieces of cardboard, and it is the reader's use of them that gets the reading done. The cards, themselves, are only tools...and to me, that salt declaration would be like saying if you don't line your tool box in the garage with salt packets, that hammer in there is going to rear up, fly out of the box, and hit you in the head.

And that's why so many of us poked fun at it.

As in life, Nothing Is Absolute....do whatever works for you. But certainly, don't harbor the fear that cards have the power to "turn against you." You're the one with the power behind the cards. You know?

(And please know that I believe no one posted here with the intent to ridicule or embarrass anyone else...as far as I'm concerned, this discussion is--as are all discussions on AT--about notions and ideas, and personal attacks have no place in any kind of debate.)

Storm82

Nytebugg said:
do you think if we fed them after midnight and got them wet; we might get gremlins?

I WANT A TAROT GREMLIN! :D

I have never used salt on cards.and I would never : Im afraid it would harm the cards (moisture? and salt with paper? nooo) I do however use crystals to some decks

do whats right for you - thats what I think

Annia

starrystarrynight said:
Annia, I think that what got me was that it sounded as if the professional reader you went to declared that if you didn't use salt as a protective agent with your cards, they would somehow "turn against you." And that turn of phrase is what startled and amused me.

Yop, that's what she said, she said the cards would tell lies afterwards ;)

and to me, that salt declaration would be like saying if you don't line your tool box in the garage with salt packets, that hammer in there is going to rear up, fly out of the box, and hit you in the head.

*grin* Well my guess is that she thinks she's linked to some other source while reading the cards and that this source could make her read the cards wrong or pull wrong cards. Though I should have asked her how she really meant it :)

But certainly, don't harbor the fear that cards have the power to "turn against you." You're the one with the power behind the cards. You know?
Well I've had days where I thought that every single card I pulled was "wrong", that it made no sense at all. So that's why I wondered if it's really only just me pulling the cards. But that would be a completly different topic, which has been discussed here if I remember correctly :)

(And please know that I believe no one posted here with the intent to ridicule or embarrass anyone else...as far as I'm concerned, this discussion is--as are all discussions on AT--about notions and ideas, and personal attacks have no place in any kind of debate.)
I personally didn't see it that way, but I can understand that some people who believe fiercly in one thing feel attacked if others make fun of it. I'd feel like that :)

mary ventura

Silver Crow, you don't have to defend your beliefs, it's enough that you believe them. When people tell me that reading tarot "doesn't work", I don't try to convince them otherwise, because I know that it does work for me, and I respect their opinions and their freedom to believe them.

When talking with a diverse group of tarot enthusiasts, or reading more than one book about tarot, you will find conflicting ideas, opinions, etc. Many of these ideas and opinions are presented as a absolute fact, sometimes as beliefs. If you read something that you think isn't true, that doesn't mean that the whole book is wrong, or the whole group is dismissing your way of working with tarot.]

I always take statements about how to use tarot cards with a grain of salt :p :p :p

Mary V

Silver Crow

I think that when you start labeling peoples BELIEFS as myths is when the defenses go up. I use salt in conjunction with smudging. My ancestors did this for as long as we know - for me it's a belief. I also have salt in a basket in my home with my smudge sticks. The salt I use is salt from the ocean near my home. For me it IS a belief. I have other very strong beliefs that aren't related to tarot that I have also been told is a myth or silly or whatever.

Please people, we all believe in something intangible here. Not agreeing, or believing or whatever in what someone else does is great, but making fun of it, or turning it into a "myth" because it's not what you believe is just as harmful as the person who said you must do it or else.

Sorry I got so upset, but I deal with this a lot and I didn't expect to have to deal with it here.

Baroli

Silver Crow said:
Defensive because somehow I thought the tarot board would be one place where people didn't call your beliefs myths. I understand that others don't agree with cleansing, or ritual or any of that, and that's OK, we all do things differently. I don't think it's fair however, when on a board consisting of a topic like tarot that so many people think is just a myth or in some cases just ridiculous hogwash, that some say it's OK to believe in one thing that's not tangible, but because salt or whatever isn't what you do say it's wrong a myth or untrue.

I guess I've spent most of my life defending what I believe against small minded people that couldn't get their minds past what they could see or touch.

You know, it really doesn't matter about what a person believes, it's your belief system, if that's what you are comfortable with, then go with it, like Gregory says.

There are a lot of strong-minded people here who believe a lot of different things. Personally, I could never understand the bruhaha, because I use the cards not for personal understanding, but to help others and put some extra money in my pocket. And yes, I don't believe too much about the positive and negative energies being held by paper and ink. (It's often an argument I use with people I used to attend church with when they tell me I am going straight to hell for using Tarot, lol). But I think I fluctuate on that one (not going to hell }) the positive and negative energy thingie).

But isn't it nice that we have a place to come to and agree to disagree about all sorts of different things that are Tarot???

ETA: Btw, I know someone who will store his decks with lavender. (Love that smell).

Also, salt for me means I had too much of it and now I have Kenkles aka "Flintstone feet," LOL })

Grizabella

There are quite a few things that struck me here.

First, I wouldn't put salt right next to the cards. I'd put it where it couldn't actually touch the cards.

But from there, I do understand where you're coming from, Silver Crow. Lots of people don't believe that our prayers are carried up on the smoke from smudging, either, or that feathers have spiritual significance. I agree that it's surprising that people here would be intolerant of believing the significance of salt spiritually and give someone a hard time over it. I'm sorry you encountered that.

But like starry said, I think what people here were objecting to was the assertion by that reader that the cards would lie if it wasn't done. That's giving the cards an entity that most of us don't believe they have. I don't believe my cards are alive or have a spirit that could lie to me any more than I believe sage would if I don't use it in the way I do.

I respect your use of salt as your ancestors did and I think a lot of others here do, too. Even though I don't share the beliefs a lot of people here have, I still respect them greatly.

Honestly, when it comes right down to it, people have the right to believe their cards do have a spirit that can get mad or trick you or whatever they believe. We may call them myths and be quick to jump on the bandwagon to talk someone else down who does believe it, but we should respect their right to believe that, too, if they want to.

The crowned one

Silver Crow said:
Sorry I got so upset, but I deal with this a lot and I didn't expect to have to deal with it here.

No worries, you stimulated some good conversation, emotions aside :)

morticia monroe

I am a firm believer that tarot is in YOU, not in the cards. Storing your cards with salt gives you nothing more than salty cards.

Google the words "The Importance of salt in ancient times" and you'll find plenty of resources to help explain why salt is/and, especially, WAS so revered.

But if it makes you feel better, then you do what you feel works best for you. We all have our own ways. :) And when it comes right down to it, no one REALLY knows for sure about anything that has to do with the metaphysical, do they? So do your own thing.

Nytebugg

For me I just don't believe you need to do anything special in order to read and I feel the ability comes from something in me...a talent and a knowledge that has been developed. Do I dispel what I think are myths by saying I don't do something? yes. My reasoning is tarot should be accessible to anyone with an interest and myths such as you NEED to store them in salt or smudge them or do the hockey pockey before reading just makes tarot that inaccessible to some people.

I respect those that believe that they need something and I think it's fine. I just don't believe in such things when it comes to a deck of cards and I just will say so. My sister reads tarot and runes and she has a completely different belief system than I do.

as far as getting non-answers for the OP's last comment. Sometimes I get that if I am too close to a question emotionally or if I am having a bad day. There are times when I cannot read for myself. that's why I enjoy exchanges. I know if I am having a bad day or feel down emotionally I will pull cards that are reflective of my attitude.