V Swords: Bloodless Victory

Fulgour

Or maybe he's the kind of guy who can
run the table in a game of pool? Next...

Fairawen

Frank Hall said:
Dissecting frogs...

Hey, HEY! I LIKE dissecting frogs! Then again, I'm a biology person and you may not be... Yay for marine biologists! :p

But, about the 5, I agree with most here. I have younger siblings. My younger brother looks like this when he does something mean to my little sis (who is younger than he). I've grown to dislike this look, not only for that reason, but because my Mother uses it aaaaaaall the time whenever she thinks she's beaten me down. *GRRR*

So, now you know my aggitation with this card...

~Fairawen~

AmyV

I think everybody's right. Can't a card have two or more totally opposite meanings? It's all about context eh?

Generally I would see cruelty in this card - the kind of ego trip associated with pulling wings off flies.

However, I think Fulgour has a good point: going back to the schoolyard bully scenario - just imagine the kid who gets hassled every day by a couple of other kids - they tease him, steal his lunch money, knock him around a bit, do whatever they can to make him feel small and them feel big. Not nice at all, and that's one side of the situation, and one side of the card.

But there's another side: what if that kid one day has enough of it and decided he's not going to take it anymore? He stands up to them, and suddenly he's a mirror not for their supposed strength, but for their true weakness, which they have suddenly come face to face with. He has achieved an enormous personal victory, and well he might laugh! They've just been confronted with the meanest, basest part of themselves, and well they might hang their heads in shame!

tarobones

the other guy

I have always been intrigued by the 5 of Swords........one guy seems so downcast about the defeat, but the other guy.........he seems almost serene..........as if he has let go of the outcome and moved on. The other, downcast guy, remains defeated because he has continued to carry the defeat forward with him. The other guy, it seems to me, has let it all go..............Just my 2 cents......................Peace to all......................Michael

rcb30872

Hi

I tend to see the Five of Swords is knowing when a fight is not worth fighting and it is easier "just to walk away"

But after reading what the others have written, I can see quite a few people who could quite easily fit into the other one who looks smug. Thinking that they have one over you, so to speak. Just thinking that they are better than you, or would do anything to make you feel like a piece of dirt just so that they can feel better. I have come across a few people like that, one of them I have known my entire life, makes me wonder after doing that to me as a child why do they still insist on doing that to me now? I know why, because they know that what they did to me as a child worked, and think that they can continue on with that and it will still work, but I have news for them, I have wised up to it and refuse to take part in it! Sorry, got a bit carried away here!!!

Bec

Rosanne

Ok I get the bloodless Victory angle, but hey there is three guys there and five swords. Now Pamela was very smart in her thinking. Does it not look like the vanquished (distant fellow) and his second (carrying someones coat over his shoulder) look like they have participated in a 'Double or nothing' bet. The Victors Swords are together balanced against his shoulder (2 swords- Honourable settlement). That leaves three swords( the vanquished is going to have a fresh start!!) The Victor has won both rounds and got the Second's sword to boot. That would make him smile. How many times does that happen at a Pool Table? Don't you just shake your head at people, when you see that happen? ~Rosanne

rcb30872

Rosanne, you have brought up an interesting point. Yes, five swords but not as many people. May indicate something along those lines of what you said about the pool table. If you want to look at it another way, it is indeed some underhanded manner which is in progress, could be in relation to friendships and may be in relation to a work related place where they are pitting against being in the "good books" with the boss so to speak. As a result that there are some that have already left due to the tactics of the one who is the perpetrator and yet some others who are on the way of leaving. Thus, would indicate that the "victor" or the person who is employing such tactics would be hoarding all the swords, or the riches so to speak.

Bec

Umbrae

Personally I see that many others have trouble with the fives.

Some folks ‘have to’ see the church door as being closed and locked on the 5 of Pentacles, even when no church door is pictured (just two people journeying past a window).

Here’s 1 guy with 5 swords. Two people walk away. From this we extrapolate based on our experience. Schoolyard bully thing? Guess if we got beat up all the time this perhaps is what we see.

I was the ‘beatee’ and it’s not what I see.

The guy who runs the pool table? Could be.

In today’s culture of ‘correctness’ we don’t fail poor students, as it may ‘hurt their self-image’. Some schools move away from ‘grades’, as an A student may not be a better person, just a better test person.

Back when I worked for Nintendo, we once had a rash of complaints on some game cuz it had the words “You Lose”…parents complained it implied their children were losers.

Well folks…some folks just cannot recognize a winner. They didn’t deserve it, they cheated, they play dirty, blah blah blah.

Like the Four of Pentacles – greed. Since when does a four imply greed? But it’s the old Victorian attitude of ‘wanting’ money.

Here’s the Victorian attitude of ‘Winning’.

I don’t live in the Victorian times. Neither do you.

Yeah – he won. Big deal. Let’s move on.

Hey Fulgour…Rack em…straight eight, no slop?

rcb30872

Umbrae

I can see many holes in your view point. One, in Five of Pentacles, even though they may seem to be "just walking past a window" the fact that it is the particular type of window that is the image of what is implied (stained glass - forgive me if I am wrong in my description - but that is the only one I can think of). To me the type of window that I have mentioned, and the shape of it, as well, it is not just a plain square or rectangle or more to a point arched, implies that this type of window is peculiar to church windows. To me churches can be symbolised as places of sanctuary and shelter, and other things especially indicating spirituality, as can be seen on many programs that are shown at Christmas time where poor people go there for a Christmas meal because they have no where else to go to.

Another, Four of Pentacles, I have never seen that as being greed, just to the point of being a "Mr Scrooge" - holding on to what you have got and not sharing with others.

Oh, "Schoolyard Bully" doesn't have to refer to someone who beats you up! But can be seen that way, as sometimes it does actually happen, but I wouldn't say that it happens all the time. I was bullied at school and at the same time I was not beaten up!

Bec

Fulgour

8 Ball

Umbrae said:
Hey Fulgour…Rack em…straight eight, no slop?
Double bank last pocket :) Winner gets to SMILE.