What are they thinking?

mythos

WolfSpirit said:
Fae tarot - the faeries look so weird and often grumpy...don't like the colours, don't like the way it is drawn.

Voyager - full of symbolism, ok, but a bit too full for me, it is as if they tried to cram as much as possible into one card.

Quest - some of the images are quite pretty but it just looks so cold...and there is too much going on in the borders (names and symbols etc.) I could enjoy some of the cards to look at but never read with a deck like this.

And I am forcing myself not to start defending my favourite decks ;) hehe, I know not everyone likes what I like.

Gosh I'd forgotten the Voyager ... what an excruiatingly awful deck ... and the Fae too ... haven't looked at the Quest ... the name put me off. I am definitely not a fan of collage decks, and computer art leaves me cold. Both feel like 'cheating' to me ... I know they are not .... and involve both the work and creativity of painted decks, but ... oh dratsit ... I think I'm showing my age!

mythos:)

ShekinahMoon

Helvetica said:
Uhmmmm, well...

Not necessarily a reading, you know ...}) Inspired by Aretino, I believe...:*

Let me guess. Pull a card and try a new position :joke:

ShekinahMoon

cirom said:
My assumption that the Gilded would not make it through without being mentioned in this particular hall of "fame" proved to be the case....

I just looked at the Gilded sample and the deck looks nice to me. Has a fantasy magic kind of quality to it.

MareSaturni

ShekinahMoon said:
Let me guess. Pull a card and try a new position :joke:

That's right. Decameron is good for...reading tarot under the covers })
I must say i'd buy it, if i could, just to scare my classmates who keep asking for readings all the time. "Ah...i see you'll be having sex some time soon, huh? And...oh, sex again! Active, aren't we? And again! Are you unsatiable or do you take medicines to keep all that fire burning?" And more dirtier comments because i have a dirty mind })

I can just imagine the look on their faces :D

~Yuko

Flavio

miss_yuko said:
I must say i'd buy it, if i could, just to scare my classmates who keep asking for readings all the time. "Ah...i see you'll be having sex some time soon, huh? And...oh, sex again! Active, aren't we? And again! Are you unsatiable or do you take medicines to keep all that fire burning?"
:D You´re evil Miss Yuko!

Khaelo

The Druidcraft. Wildly popular, and I don't get it.

Online, the figures have this weird doll-like quality that creeps me out no end. Does it look different in person? Are the human figures more proportional? Are they still dressed in pyjamas-with-cloaks? Are the feet really as big as they look online? Maybe there's some kind of love-dust sprinkled on the cards?

That said, I might pick up a Druidcraft eventually, just to see what the fuss is about. ;)

Shade

These threads can be fun and thus far no one's feathers have been ruffled. It's interesting to know that even the most popular decks have their detractors.

As other have said sometimes those loathed decks turn out to be favorites. I thought the Fey was trite manga art when I first saw it and now it's one of my favorites.

So here's my list:

Sacred Circle - Everyone seems to think this is one of the greatest Celtic flavored decks on the market and I just don't get it. One of my main issues is probably the quality of the computer enhancement with the art. I'm sure when it came out it seemed cutting edge but now it's like watching Clash of the Titans and trying REALLY hard not to notice how dated the stop motion animation is (and I'm a big Harryhausen fan). That and, this might bother some people, it seems to go over really well with Americans who think having British ancestors 4 generations back gives them a claim to some mystical Celtic lineage.

Avert your eyes Ciro! The Gilded doesn't do it for me. It's very pretty but seems... no peeking Ciro... a little empty. It's the number one seller at my favorite new age bookstore and I tend to think it must be going over well with the beginners who want something pretty. Or maybe I'm an uncultured Philistine who just doesn't get it.

Bohemian Cats... ummmm... to me this is the Dogs Playing Poker of the tarot world. When it came out all I could hear were the squeals of joy but uh... I just think it looks tacky. I will say however that I think it is better put together than the Tarot of the Animal Lords.

The Gothic Vargo - I like dark decks, just not this one. Maybe it just seems a little too obvious; all gargoyles and floor length dresses where you would expect them to be. It feels academically goth, but when someone asks for a dark deck recommendation this is the first one to get a mention. I'd rather read with the considerably less popular Fantastical.

Ok that's enough from me.

WolfSpirit

Khaelo said:
Are the human figures more proportional? Are they still dressed in pyjamas-with-cloaks?

Don't worry, it will only be a matter of time before something makes a lycra version for the historically challenged :laugh:
With people who look as if they come straight from the plastic surgeon.

ShekinahMoon

miss_yuko said:
That's right. Decameron is good for...reading tarot under the covers })
I must say i'd buy it, if i could, just to scare my classmates who keep asking for readings all the time. "Ah...i see you'll be having sex some time soon, huh? And...oh, sex again! Active, aren't we? And again! Are you unsatiable or do you take medicines to keep all that fire burning?" And more dirtier comments because i have a dirty mind })

I can just imagine the look on their faces :D

~Yuko

What would be funny is to slip in a few of the Decomeron cards into another deck and when it comes up in a reading watch the other person eyes get big :joke:

ShekinahMoon

Speaking of dark decks I don't get the H. P. Lovecraft Tarot is one I don't grasp. Reminds me of a comic book in it's artwork. Although I doooo love that border on the cards. :)