What Do You Expect From A Tarot Reader?

Debra

Who's lecturing? :(

Saying "Cups and water represent emotions" and "Aces are beginnings" takes only a few seconds. Most people seem to appreciate it. It demystifies the process, and that suits my style.

Silver Crow

I think this is a good example of why certifying tarot readers would never work. :) There are just too many different styles for any type of commonality.

gregory

Debra said:
Who's lecturing? :(

Saying "Cups and water represent emotions" and "Aces are beginnings" takes only a few seconds. Most people seem to appreciate it. It demystifies the process, and that suits my style.
Did I say it was lecturing ? :(

I just said I'd prefer that they didn't do that, and would ask them not to. Others would love it. To each, and all that.... :)

starrystarrynight

Debra said:
That's fine if it suits your style...no arguing that everyone reads differently. :) But here is why I don't do that:

Cups don't always signify only emotions to me, and Aces don't always bring a new beginning. I certainly don't want to waste my seeker's time explaining why this Cup card--which, if I were to tell them Cups most often signify emotions--is, instead, talking about a creative project or a health issue in his reading today...or why this Ace's potential new beginning (which is what Aces "mean") is actually being thwarted there.

Why confuse things like that?

I prefer to just say what I see in the cards as simply and coherently as possible. That's all they pay me for, after all. :)

gregory

Yes - that's how I see it too, SSN. But I came back to say I should not have said that. Because we weren't asked what we would like, but what we expect - and to be honest, my experience to date would suggest that that is what I expect to get.

I would - assuming I felt comfortable enough with the reader - and if not, why go :D - ask them to leave out that bit, though. Just because I feel - as you do - that Aces do not necessarily mean beginnings and so on. If they do for my reader - s/he can express that for me in another way as that would be what would make more sense TO ME.

Others differ - and that is FINE with me too. But I have to say if they "expected" that of me as a reader - I could not deliver.... :(

starrystarrynight

gregory said:
Because we weren't asked what we would like, but what we expect - and to be honest, my experience to date would suggest that that is what I expect to get.
True enough...

To be honest, I have never gotten a face-to-face professional reading from any reader who ever told me generic meanings of cards (and I have gotten quite a few readings over the years from various readers :).) None of those readers knew I was a reader myself--they only knew my question or topic of interest at the time.

And I have gotten some extremely spot on readings from those readers...

So, maybe that's why I wouldn't expect a reader to tell me anything but what he sees in the cards...

Chiriku

The "Tarot class" about suit symbols was offered at random as an example of something that I believe many tarotist sitters would probably not appreciate sitting through.

If that was a bad example, my apologies for not coming up with a more widely applicable one.

But that was just the illustration of the point, not the point itself. I'm sure people can fill in the blanks with examples of other reasons it might be helpful for both parties for the reader to know about the querent's tarot experience.

For those who prefer not to tell their reader about their tarot experience, I'd like to hear your perspective, too. There is no one Approved way of giving or recieving a reading, so the more perspectives shared, the better.

Grizabella said:
I think anyone, whether they read or not, wants just the message from the cards, not a class on Tarot.

I disagree. If the words "some people" were substituted for your word "anyone," I would agree.

As Debra pointed out, some querents really enjoy those types of quick explanations of the symbols on the cards-- they claim it helps desmystify the process for them, gives them an opportunity to ask questions, and puts the whole reading into perspective for them.

Thankfully, in a diverse world, everyone can find their match: sitters who enjoy a mini-"Tarot Class," as you put it, can find a reader who reads like that. And sitters who prefer to hear only "the message" of the cards can find a reader who cuts straight to that message.

Nytebugg

I'd be wary of doing counseling type readings because in most states...in fact probably in all you have to be a licensed professional to do that type of work.

as far as what one wears it doesn't matter to me. One of the best readings I ever got was a palm reading from a woman who wore a disneyland shirt.

Debra

starrystarrynight said:
To be honest, I have never gotten a face-to-face professional reading from any reader who ever told me generic meanings of cards (and I have gotten quite a few readings over the years from various readers :).)

Interestingly, I had a reading from Rachel Pollack using the Shining Tribe tarot a few weeks ago. As she discussed the cards, she did talk about the "standard" meanings. It was great to see her work with the cards she designed :)

I hope no one is assuming that this way of reading is incompetent, shallow, boring or time-wasting.

starrystarrynight

Well, I can honestly say I have never had a reading done by Rachel Pollack. :) And, as I have oft said here...to each his own.