What Do You Expect From A Tarot Reader?

Le Fanu

I had a 10 minute Majors only reading with a complete stranger in a hippy tent at a psychic fayre.

He fanned out the plaid-backed RWS (*yawn* I thought), I had to pluck 7 cards and he proceeded to give me a reading which was spot on and none of it bore any resemblence to any meaning whatsoever of the cards as we know them! :D

I was gobsmacked! How on earth did he read like that? Then he waggled a pendulum over each card and then it got even better!

214red

Le Fanu said:
I had a 10 minute Majors only reading with a complete stranger in a hippy tent at a psychic fayre.

He fanned out the plaid-backed RWS (*yawn* I thought), I had to pluck 7 cards and he proceeded to give me a reading which was spot on and none of it bore any resemblence to any meaning whatsoever of the cards as we know them! :D

I was gobsmacked! How on earth did he read like that? Then he waggled a pendulum over each card and then it got even better!
often people use the cards and pendulums simple to 'tune in' the meanings of the cards are not needed for the reading. I do seem to see a correlation between readings like that(i have no judgment on the reader), and the fact they use what we would say the bog standard deck like the RWS, because its a prop rather then a tool.

Herzog

I did a face to face reading a couple of days ago... all was going well until i donned my professors turtleneck and broke down symbolism on The Sun. The sitter stayed with me during my "dissertation" :) but clearly we were both having a much nicer time when the cards and not me were talking

gregory

*giggle*

That's what I mean. If a sitter wants all that - fantastic. If that is where you get what you see about me - great.

But what I would want would be what you see, not so much how you got there. If I feel a need to know that - I will ask.

I am reminded of willowfox's one sentence pithy takes. :) Perhaps a little TOO far in the other direction - they always leave me saying yes, but HOW.... :bugeyed: but still !

olivia1

queenxofxwands said:
I don't think there's 1 time i have been for a reading, and not expected some kind of intuitive( at the least) or psychic/ clairvoyant kind of reading. In fact, when i have had readings from people who only read the cards from a deep knoweledge of the meaning of the cards, i found it a real let down, 2 dimensional flat and boring. So, i am curious to know, what is it, you really expect when you have a reading?

If it is a reading that I paid money for, I expect the reader's prediction to be somewhat accurate . If a reader can pick the right cards and interpret them correctly, I'll already be impressed. If it means that the reader has to stick to traditional meanings for their interpretations, then I would rather they do that than trying to be impressive (for example, trying to be psychic) and have next to none of the predictions come true.

If a reader is actually able to interpret the cards,using only psychic ability, and if the reading is actually accurate then I would find it to be a very pleasant surprise. However, I dont expect it.

And yes, I am able to judge accuracy because I take notes during readings and then (after some time) look at the notes to see if what was predicted actually manifested in the way predicted, during the time frame predicted.

Sulis

Well I don't believe that the future is set in stone so I don't want predictions and I especially wouldn't be impressed with predictions far into the future because I think the far future depends on the decisions I make and will make (amongst other things).

If I went for a tarot reading as opposed to a psychic reading (where I'd expect the reader to be in contact with spirit and tell me definite things), I'd expect to get insight into problems I may be having. I'd want to see a different perspective so that I could work out how to handle things myself... I'd expect the reader to be able to describe the present pretty accurately and be able to tell me how they see things going if I continue on the course I'm on and maybe suggest alternate ways of dealing with things.

Haizea

In Palmistry the future is set in stone, isn't it?

My personal idea at the moment is that some things are set and others are not.

starrystarrynight

Haizea said:
In Palmistry the future is set in stone, isn't it?
I don't think so...I believe the lines on one's hands can and do change over time (at least, I'm pretty sure I have read that in more than one place...I may be corrected by someone with more experience in that area, though.)

Haizea

I don't know anything about Palmistry...just how it works from what I've seen. How people read it.

Horace

Well, I'm planning on going to a psychic reader. and that's how she bills herself. The sign says 'Psychic', and underneath, Palm and Tarot readings. She put a banner on her roof that says Grand Opening, $15 readings. I believe in supporting new businesses and will probably take some stones as a welcome gift. Plus, we haven't had a professional in town for over 6yrs and, it's only $15..

I have no intention of making this woman 'work' for her money or to 'test' her in any way. I've written and re-written and fine-tuned my question for what I want to know. I expect her to tell me what's coming up in my life in reference to my question and then show me what the cards indicate are some options, that we can discuss, to get there that's the best for me.
So, I guess I want both a fortune and an empowerment reading. A lot to ask for the amount, maybe..

It ought to be interesting. My son owned the shop she's in for over 15years. There's a lot of me in there. I hope that helps. :) Hh