What is your power / totem animal?

suk

This thread is very interesting, thank you for all the information and wisdom.

I haven't had any interactions with shamans, or had access to shamanistic practices, I wonder how one goes about finding a shaman? Are they mainly an American thing, I feel like that's my understanding of shamanism, but I've heard people from Europe talk about them too.

I've always felt very connected to animals. I overheard my brother tell someone when we were young that he felt I knew how to touch animals, whereas he didn't, he wasn't as sensitive or something. I feel very close to cats of all kinds, I think they're misunderstood so often.

In terms of seeing animals again and again, I've been seeing magpies a lot lately. I know they're a common bird, but it's just been the kind of situations they show up in I guess. They fly out of a bush when you're not expecting it, or just hang around looking at me, when no one else/nothing else is around.

I've always thought it was very lucky to see animals or birds that are rare, but that's a logical sort of thought. In terms of experience, though, it means a lot more to me. It's hard to explain, it's like the universe is acknowledging you when you see something unexpected and rare. I've had experiences where I've gone on trips in nature, not expecting to see anything special, but ending up seeing lions up close, or whales from a distance, or something bizarre, like an unusually friendly eel that wanted to be petted. Things like that are magic in action to me.

I have a question though. What's the significance of your power animal or totem animal? Is there a difference? Once you discover them, do you work with their energies, or call on them in spirit work? Or are they just signs for things that are about to happen, or are happening within your practice already?

ETA I realised that CN has answered my question in some detail, thank you for that. :)

Dee Ell

I find that with these things, when it comes to you, you will just know, with a certainty...& instead of asking how to find, you will be asking questions like, "Did this come from my spirit guide? I have one? OMG!" 😄

The term "power animal" is a Native American concept, & that culture has rules surrounding who can claim to have it (or so I read). If you're not Native American...& especially talking about non-native American creatures like platypuses & phoenixes... You would be talking about spirit animal guides.

I'm not Native American but I do come from a region with known shamanic-animist practices. The knowledge is there for those who seek it, but we do not speak openly about our animal guides (which include phoenixes and other mythical creatures. & yes, some stay for life - that's our version of the "power animal"). "Oh, it's just a belief of mine," is a common response to those who don't know & are just surface-curious. If people want to go deeper they will do the necessary digging, go through the necessary trials, if they are meant to.

How do I connect with mine? Many ways, that have nothing to do with the type of animal they are - tarot, birds, clouds, telepathy, them mucking with electronics... A lot like how many receive messages from divinity in general, not just animals.

If you find yourself drawn to certain creatures not native to your immediate environment... Perhaps the message is in the qualities they represent, more so than whether they're a spirit guide.

My understanding was that the term "Spirit Animal" was the Native American one which is why I specifically didn't use it.

I've lived all over the world in almost all geographical climates (except arctic & tundra😂 ) so I'm not sure whether finding an animal not in my immediate surroundings (especially considering my connection with the phoenix which is in no one's physical environment) is particularly indicative?

Part of my issue is that I'm always second guessing myself. I have really good intuition but also an overly active intellect I developed as a coping mechanism very young to keep myself as safe as possible (see my first post referencing my PTSD). Which means over the years I've talked myself out of a lot of things I understood / knew to be true on another level.

So that's why I started this thread - because I wanted to hear about other people's experiences on connecting to and with their animal guide.

So I guess even if someone isn't comfortable sharing their actual animal guide here perhaps they'd still be comfortable sharing how they connect(ed) to / with it?

yannie

My understanding was that the term "Spirit Animal" was the Native American one which is why I specifically didn't use it.

I've lived all over the world in almost all geographical climates (except arctic & tundra😂 ) so I'm not sure whether finding an animal not in my immediate surroundings (especially considering my connection with the phoenix which is in no one's physical environment) is particularly indicative?

Part of my issue is that I'm always second guessing myself. I have really good intuition but also an overly active intellect I developed as a coping mechanism very young to keep myself as safe as possible (see my first post referencing my PTSD). Which means over the years I've talked myself out of a lot of things I understood / knew to be true on another level.

So that's why I started this thread - because I wanted to hear about other people's experiences on connecting to and with their animal guide.

So I guess even if someone isn't comfortable sharing their actual animal guide here perhaps they'd still be comfortable sharing how they connect(ed) to / with it?

Ah, I hear you. I'm no stranger to second-guessing myself too. That's lessened over time, though :)

& to any Native Americans reading this, I am unfamiliar with the terminology so forgive me if I use the terms "totem", "power" or some other interchangeably. I'm only aware that there is a certain...category that non-native Americans cannot lay claim to.

I'm Buddhist, so my advice may be frustrating to you - which is meditate and let go, let go, let go. That is how I connect with my animal guides. I meditate to increase my self-awareness, which translates to a heightened awareness of one's surroundings. To the point where if you receive a message that could be from an animal guide...so what if it was? It's still just a divine message through whatever means at the time. I get messages from birds quite a bit, but which spirit guide is responsible for that...is not important, really. & nope none of my spirit guides are birds :)

If you feel especially connected with the Phoenix, sit with that. Meditate on that. In time the Phoenix's relevance will come to you, when you least expect it. That's kinda how divine messages work.

celticnoodle

This thread is very interesting, thank you for all the information and wisdom.

I haven't had any interactions with shamans, or had access to shamanistic practices, I wonder how one goes about finding a shaman? Are they mainly an American thing, I feel like that's my understanding of shamanism, but I've heard people from Europe talk about them too.

actually shamanism is a very old way of life from long, long ago. I just looked up online and it says probably since the 15th century in Asia. But, it is a practice that has been practiced all over the world, in various ways. In America--it was practiced by the various American Indian tribes. Today, it is quite a common thing for many people to take courses in and become a "shaman". I, myself, have taken some courses, but I am not a shaman--I've only taken a few courses by another American Shaman, that were of interest to me. However, this American Shaman did take courses in Peru from a shaman there. I also was helped by a Canadian shaman student. she was not a shaman yet--but taking a totally different type of course from a Hawaiian Shaman teacher. So there are many varieties of shamanism--but basically, I believe they do share the same values.

As for finding one, I have found the American shaman through a New Age Newspaper that comes out in our area. Not all areas have this--and so that is fortunate for me. You can also find them online however. Try googling "shaman practitioners in **** " and insert your area.

I've always felt very connected to animals. I overheard my brother tell someone when we were young that he felt I knew how to touch animals, whereas he didn't, he wasn't as sensitive or something. I feel very close to cats of all kinds, I think they're misunderstood so often.

In terms of seeing animals again and again, I've been seeing magpies a lot lately. I know they're a common bird, but it's just been the kind of situations they show up in I guess. They fly out of a bush when you're not expecting it, or just hang around looking at me, when no one else/nothing else is around.
doesn't really matter how common the animal is--it can still be your "power animal". even mosquitoes can be! or flies!

I've always thought it was very lucky to see animals or birds that are rare, but that's a logical sort of thought. In terms of experience, though, it means a lot more to me. It's hard to explain, it's like the universe is acknowledging you when you see something unexpected and rare. I've had experiences where I've gone on trips in nature, not expecting to see anything special, but ending up seeing lions up close, or whales from a distance, or something bizarre, like an unusually friendly eel that wanted to be petted. Things like that are magic in action to me.
:) that is magic in action. Yes. I agree with you on that! You are fortunate that you've seen such magic and beauty in our world.

I have a question though. What's the significance of your power animal or totem animal? Is there a difference? Once you discover them, do you work with their energies, or call on them in spirit work? Or are they just signs for things that are about to happen, or are happening within your practice already?

well, I am definitely not an expert in this area, but I do believe that the significance lies in what it is that particular animal can teach you. Every animal has various strengths and weaknesses--and we may be able to identify with that same thing or be in need of that same thing. You can work with their energies, by becoming fully aware of what these energies are. It is highly recommended that when you've identified your power animal, that you learn as much as you can about this animal. And, you may also want to pick up a picture of the animal or a small nick-nack of the animal--and place it on your altar or whatever. When you find yourself in need of their protection and or guidance, call on them. And, also be sure to thank them for their help as well.

ETA I realised that CN has answered my question in some detail, thank you for that. :)
:laugh: well, as I have mentioned--I am NOT an expert at all in this field. I would recommend you google about it and read all you can (since its free!) and also check out some books on the subjects. Mi-shell here on A.T. is a shaman and she has a superb blog where she shares all her shamanism with us. It is free to check out--go to her profile and find it and join up. She is absolutely a fascinating person and I believe she also lists a wonderful selection of books that you can read (not her books) about this subject as well.

Hopefully though, my latest post will also have answered it slightly more for you. I am a HUGE reader of anything spiritual and historical. I much prefer this type of reading to just reading fiction--though now and again one of them slips in as well on my reading list. :D

yannie

actually shamanism is a very old way of life from long, long ago. I just looked up online and it says probably since the 15th century in Asia.

I'll add to this - the Asian shamanic practice I follow is over 2000 years old. From before the time of Angkor Wat :D

celticnoodle

And, I thought it was "Totem Animal". Perhaps Mi-shell will come upon this thread or another shaman and enlighten us on this--I know it has been addressed before, and I think at that time it was mentioned that "Totem Animal" is specifically used for groups--such as the Native American Indians or other groups in other countries. That for us "regular" people, finding their animal should call it a "power animal".
the black panther isn't in my neck of the woods either. I don't think it has to be an animal found in your particular area where you live, especially as you can also have mythical animals--such as a unicorn. I have been told that phoenix was my power animal as well. There is a lot of information re: the phoenix online.

I do think many people (myself included) grow up learning to do just this. Its not an easy thing to overcome--and we all have to re-learn to do this. However, many people grow up in cultures where this is supported and developed from birth--so those people have no problem with it. But, just know, you're not alone here!

And, this is also why, thank God/Universe/Whomever for A.T., (and other sites too), where we can all ask these type of questions and share with each other and learn together. If it wasn't for A.T., I am not sure I'd have ever learned so much about many things here. A.T. has truly enriched my spiritual life.

celticnoodle

Ah, I hear you. I'm no stranger to second-guessing myself too. That's lessened over time, though :)

& to any Native Americans reading this, I am unfamiliar with the terminology so forgive me if I use the terms "totem", "power" or some other interchangeably. I'm only aware that there is a certain...category that non-native Americans cannot lay claim to.

I'm Buddhist, so my advice may be frustrating to you - which is meditate and let go, let go, let go. That is how I connect with my animal guides. I meditate to increase my self-awareness, which translates to a heightened awareness of one's surroundings. To the point where if you receive a message that could be from an animal guide...so what if it was? It's still just a divine message through whatever means at the time. I get messages from birds quite a bit, but which spirit guide is responsible for that...is not important, really. & nope none of my spirit guides are birds :)
EXCELLENT--EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

Meditation is the main key (perhaps not the only way to learn and understand your power animal), and is so beneficial in SOOO many ways! Not only for coming to know and learn about your spirit guides and power animals - but so much more! It can help us emotionally, mentally and phsyically. Enough good things just cannot be said about meditation. :)

If you feel especially connected with the Phoenix, sit with that. Meditate on that. In time the Phoenix's relevance will come to you, when you least expect it. That's kinda how divine messages work.
true! very true. :)

I'll add to this - the Asian shamanic practice I follow is over 2000 years old. From before the time of Angkor Wat :D
ah, well I am sure shamanism has been around for a very long time and maybe even longer then I have read just now online.

G6

Mahalo for your replies Tychis and G6 (I'm curious why you're so positive it's a turtle for you G6?)

I'm not sure based on what folks have said now that I read through how you figure it out, so I'll have to see if turtles start popping up everywhere, BUT I had many as my childhood pet. I just figure if I was so connected to turtles as a child that they have an intuitive meaning for me. In adulthood pit bulls, which I feel very connected to as well. Maybe it could be another animal I haven't even thought of or know about, though?

Calayvie

Ooh great thread! I was going to start something a bit similar [emoji3]

I have a Jaguar spirit guide/power animal, who has been with me since I was a child although I thought I was only imagining it back then. And then I lost contact. So I have recently (re)connected with him this year, through a shamanic journey.
I was quite surprised he was a Jaguar because they were probably my least favourite big cat, probably because they are so elusive and there wasn't much info/documentaries on them years ago when I was obsessed with wild cats.
Now I'm in awe at this great cat that is so unique and adapted to its environment, and suited to being my spirit guide, and I'm only just starting to understand the lessons and wisdom he has for me. It will be a lifetime of learning with him!
I can sense him with me almost anytime, and doing so grounds me wonderfully. He accompanies me on shamanic journeys.

I also have a wolf spirit guide who I suspect is only for a short time. I discovered him during a journey after seeing signs of a wolf, and he is helping me "howl at the moon", develop my intuitive abilities and connect with my mysterious side.

And I have a redback spider as a spirit guide [emoji15] (black widow in America). She came to me through signs, I saw a spider-hunting wasp carrying a redback spider on 3 occasions, over about 5 months, and I had a distinct vivid dream about a redback spider trying to deter a spider-hunting wasp.
So I went on a journey to find her, it took some searching!, and I connected with her, and experienced shapeshifting!

She is with me to help me come to terms with my mothers death when I was little. And also to accept and embrace my feminine qualities. And I'm sure I'll learn more.
I love the redback spider now. I respect and revere all lifeforms, but I have a deep appreciation and connection with this spider now, even if she creeps me out just a little!

I am getting into shape shifting now, it opens up a whole new world of understanding and appreciation for everything, and widens my perspectives and perceptions of the world. I'm loving it!

I am on the lookout for a water based creature and an air based creature for spirit guides as well.

I think learning as much as possible about our animal spirit guides opens us up to learn as much as we can from them, making the most out of their guidance. It also gives us an understanding of them as a species and their place in the world, the ecosystem, and nature.
We need to appreciate all of it, and help to protect all of it.
Our spirit guides are not only here to help us, but to seek our help in caring for the world of nature.

We are all connected.

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

Tigerangel

I must be unusual because in my training I was taught never to talk about my power animals to anyone other than my teachers.

In my shamanic training I have been told it's fine to discuss your power animals, and some people will have a few and others can have a zoo lol, the only animals that we must kept secret are our protector animal, and if you do let your protector animal slip to someone then you just go back and ask if you need your animal protector changed.