What makes a reading "accurate" to you?

frelkins

Let me say that Indigo Rose very recently and much to my consternation completely predicted a future event, down even to the words the other party would use in the situation. Spooky.

That is crazy accurate.

Alissa

For others: When the person I'm reading for begins to cry....

For myself: When I get that sinking feeling in my gut of having been sucker punched by Truth and smacked upside the head, and I don't necessarily like what I'm hearing but I know I can't deny it either....

tmgrl2

Alissa said:
For others: When the person I'm reading for begins to cry....

For myself: When I get that sinking feeling in my gut of having been sucker punched by Truth and smacked upside the head, and I don't necessarily like what I'm hearing but I know I can't deny it either....

Yes! to both of these...I often have the sitter crying....a good kind of realize and recognition mostly....also that feeling of Truth hitting me during a reading...or even when a friend tells me the Truth...something I need to hear, but have been in denial about...

Good points, Alissa.

frelkins....also, good point, since here you are truly talking about accuracy, not about using free will to go down a path of direction that arises from the reading.....

I still remember a reading that firemaiden did for me (forgive me, Paula, for bringing this up again, but it was so poignant at the time)...I was about to retire and she saw me crossing a chasm and I dropped a paintbrush into the gap and couldn't get it...(This is from my memory...so I may be a bit off)...

but the point was, she indicated that I was afraid that once I retired, I would lose my sense of feeling creative, of feeling useful through creative application of my work. It sucker-punched me big-time, because it was

Accurate.

It also helped me to reflect on that very point as time went on so that instead of focusing on what I was leaving behind or losing, I began to think more of my future and of how I could "create" or be "creative"...I wasn't losing

MYSELF

altogether....but , to some degree, that's how it felt to me.

So, here firemaiden "painted a vivid picture" for me using the images from the Tarot, and then gave voice to the image....it was powerfully accurate!

Also, berrieh...you asked about focus on cards from the "past." When I have a spread that includes "the past," I do spend some time on it. Call it validation of what has gone before, but then, I use it as a jumping off point for what the sitter must be aware of in terms of what must be left behind in order to grow or to move forward...leaving the old ways, even if they were ways that worked, not always if they were ways that didn't work....

Sometimes, we are stuck at an "8"...comfortable, having achieved much, but stuck...and it's time to finish...to go for the "9" and reach the "10."

terri

starrystarrynight

Some great responses here.

I don't know about "accuracy" in readings. If a sitter is so-inclined, s/he can find a degree of accuracy in many readings that others would feel weren't accurate at all. (And vice-versa.)

I rather think that if a reading resonates with a sitter and makes her/him think--and then act on those thoughts, that is the best I would hope for in a reading.

I had a reading a couple of years ago, which, reading it over today, I find wasn't "accurate" at all in its outcome (at least not yet, and likely will never be.) However, it was one of the best readings I ever got because elements spoke to me, made me think and helped me to choose my future path more wisely (I think.)

Alissa

tmgrl2 said:
I often have the sitter crying....a good kind of realize and recognition mostly....also that feeling of Truth hitting me during a reading...or even when a friend tells me the Truth...something I need to hear, but have been in denial about...

...but the point was, she indicated that I was afraid that once I retired, I would lose my sense of feeling creative, of feeling useful through creative application of my work. It sucker-punched me big-time, because it was

Accurate.

terri
Yes I should say, I don't beat my clients up, mentally or emotionally, but it can be such a powerful experience to have something that has resided within us be validated by hearing it from someone else's mouth. It makes us cry but for all the right reasons.

And just like your reading with firemaiden... that reading touched on something that was living inside you but hadn't fully come to the light until the reading gave it a voice, and an image. And once that was done, as the sitter, we feel we can use that information to our own ultimate advantage.

Which is what a good reading is all about, I think... helping people feel empowered. Either by validating their hurt, and/or giving them options on where they can place their focus and their energy into getting their lives on track again.

Moonbow

Moderator Note

Hello everyone,

I'm moving this thread over to Talking Tarot shortly as it's a more appropriate forum for this discussion.

Thanks
Moonbow*

Sophie

autumnsdaughter said:
I guess I feel like predictions are secondary in the reading experience- because what could happen is far less useful to the querant than what is in the process of happening. For me, the very purpose of reading is to understand my patterns of thinking which keep me from experiencing life to the fullest degree. Therefore, though predictions can be impressive when accurate, I am not in the game to be impressive. I'm in it to be useful.
Weeeeeell - it depends (to quote Berrieh). In the example I gave above (a true one, by the way), where you predict that your querent's company will close, the usefulness is obvious: to allow your querent to start feeling the market for a new job, redo CVs, check up on any legal rights they might have in case of mass redundancy, check with the union, etc. etc. This is practical prediction at its best. However, if the prediction is - "you'll meet a man in a bar in a few months and he'll become an important relationship" - not that useful, because what can your querent do to prepare herself? Maybe make sure she looks her best whenever she goes out, which she probably does already if she's single :D

berrieh

I'll also add that accuracy on the present-you-don't-know (but will be revealed in the future or can be revealed or utilized) is way more helpful than a prediction on the future.

The way I read (the longest I've ever read is 6 months out; if I have my way, I prefer to keep it 1-3 months), most of my predictions for the future are really already present predictions. Thing is, the Sitter just isn't in the position to know everything from their position. So, if we can validate it enough to where the Sitter trusts and can utilize that information, I find it quite empowering.

That's why the Past is so important. Without the Past as a reference point, nothing in the Future makes much sense, I think. I don't channel or anything... I read cards and energies, and those things need context, in my opinion. So, "past" accuracy is everything in many ways, and that's one place I'd especially agree with the original quote from firemaiden.

Also, the more I think of it... the more I think there is no "Present" in a reading. What we call the Present is the very Recent Past and the very Near Future touching, as at Present, the Sitter is getting a Tarot reading, and so there's not much to read on that.

I asked the Tarot today, "What am I doing, right this moment, in the Present," and it gave me The Wheel of Fortune. To me, that seemed accurate. :)

.traveller.

Unless you subscribe to a more Zen-like outlook, then there is no past and no future... there is only right now. Right now is the only thing we have any influence over. We cannot change the past, it only exists in memory; we cannot change the future because it doesn't exist yet.

This is partly to play devil's advocate, and partly because I believe it to be mostly true.

autumnsdaughter

Berrieh, I agree very much with all of this- that's what I love about tarot, that you can get a gauge on what is going on around you that you can't see- and which you don't want to see too.

I also think that reading out further than around 3 months is not really useful, because most of that isn't set in stone. Of course there are things which are more likely to happen just because of habitual tendencies. But there are anomalies to those tendencies, and choices can be made, to alter the course of events.

I love what you said about the past and the future meeting in this now moment. That is profound. :) And that now moment is always in movement, and that, as .traveller. noted, is our place of power. It is tho only thing over which we have control- but it is enough. Because, in this now moment, we can make choices which can alter the future in unbelievable ways. Very very cool. :)

berrieh said:
I'll also add that accuracy on the present-you-don't-know (but will be revealed in the future or can be revealed or utilized) is way more helpful than a prediction on the future.

The way I read (the longest I've ever read is 6 months out; if I have my way, I prefer to keep it 1-3 months), most of my predictions for the future are really already present predictions. Thing is, the Sitter just isn't in the position to know everything from their position. So, if we can validate it enough to where the Sitter trusts and can utilize that information, I find it quite empowering.

That's why the Past is so important. Without the Past as a reference point, nothing in the Future makes much sense, I think. I don't channel or anything... I read cards and energies, and those things need context, in my opinion. So, "past" accuracy is everything in many ways, and that's one place I'd especially agree with the original quote from firemaiden.

Also, the more I think of it... the more I think there is no "Present" in a reading. What we call the Present is the very Recent Past and the very Near Future touching, as at Present, the Sitter is getting a Tarot reading, and so there's not much to read on that.

I asked the Tarot today, "What am I doing, right this moment, in the Present," and it gave me The Wheel of Fortune. To me, that seemed accurate. :)