What not to do

MareSaturni

Grizabella said:
I think this was just written by someone not fluent in English, I'll bet. For that reason, I hesitate to make fun of it. It sounds like it's just a cultural difference to me, and in that case, they may have better motives than they conveyed in that sign.

I agree. I buy things from Taiwan and Japan through Ebay sometimes, and the sellers write in a similar way. I don't think bad grammar is an indicative of fraud and scam.

However, lets agree that it's a bit exaggerated. Someone who can actually do all this wouldn't be offering readings on the newspaper - would be bloody rich already.

Grizabella

Marina is right, though. If someone could offer all this, they'd probably be rich already.

I didn't mean to sound like I was chastising you, (((Marcia))). I was just commenting that due to the sound of the ad, maybe it wasn't quite as bad as it looks on the basis of the language difficulty. It still does make you wonder whether they're going to sell you spells and stuff, though, doesn't it?

Hemera

Grizabella said:
I think this was just written by someone not fluent in English, I'll bet. For that reason, I hesitate to make fun of it..
Thank you,I appreciate this:D On the other hand.. anyone (ab)using another language always takes certain risks.
And I suspect "100% guarantee" is practically the same thing in any language, (at least the 100% part:p).There can´t be much language difficulty there. I think that alone is something to make fun of.

nisaba

Marcia959 said:
I'm especially interested in protecting bad hearts against my happiness.
Hell, yeah! I'd pay extra for that one! <lines up in queue>

starrystarrynight

I agree that the 100% guarantee may be that the reading, itself, is guaranteed...not its accuracy, per se, but the satisfaction of the seeker with the reading--whether or not s/he felt s/he got what s/he paid for.

It is said in advertising/publicity circles that no ink is bad ink...anything that is put before the public eye can be an avenue to either educate or "sell." Someone who sees tarot as all bad will likely not be swayed by anything s/he reads, but for someone who is on the fence, anything written could be an open door for discussion and/or thought. [i.e. You're reading this ad with someone who poo-poos it (yes, that's right, I said poo-poo :D.) Now, it has opened an opportunity for you to discuss why you believe tarot not only is not evil, but that it does works.] What's wrong with that? Just my opinion...

Umbrae

I'm amazed so many are amazed.

That IS our competition.

When you say you're a card reader - that's the image folks get.

I"m also amazed that folks are so eager to 'weigh anothers heart'.

It is only though our actions that we prove and demonstrate otherwise.

shelikes2read

Grizabella said:
I think this was just written by someone not fluent in English, I'll bet. For that reason, I hesitate to make fun of it. It sounds like it's just a cultural difference to me, and in that case, they may have better motives than they conveyed in that sign.
I honestly hope you're right and this is the case.

But the part of me that says, "Question everything" wonders if the ad was phrased that way so that A. people will be able to read into the words whatever they need/want to see, B. it sounds exotic, which might entice some people to get a reading out of curiosity, and C. it's so ambiguous that it won't hold up in a court of law, if someone decides that the reader fell short of the 100% guarantee.

When I saw the phrase " ... bad hearts against your happiness", immediately I thought of the parasitical "readers" who tell sitters that bad people have put a curse on their family, which only this reader is powerful enough to break. For a fee. And another fee, and another, etc. :( This is one time when I *want* to be wrong. But if I'm correct, then I hope that anyone desperate enough to fall for that scam never even sees the ad.

On the other hand, if they're an honest-hearted reader whose fluency in English is limited, I hope they DO get business. I don't consider honest people to be my competition; I consider each of us to be taking care of a market segment that other readers don't have access to. :)

ncefafn

I want "100% guaranteed" sexual success. Especially when so many emails end up in my spam box telling me I can "satisfy her all night". I don't want to satisfy her all night. One man in my bed, that's all I ask. For 100% guaranteed, I'll take that deal.

moderndayruth

I posted this in another subforum (YR) too, but i think its "worth" of posting here too. :rolleyes:

In view of general democratization, they allowed one Tarot show to be broad casted and it resulted in permanent ban - here is why.
youtube video
transcript:
Caller: I wanted to ask about my son, his future and marriage, whether he'll get married.

Con artist: Your son is not married.
(Me: well obviously.)

Awwww,reader says, what is he waiting for the ceiling to fall on his head?!

He has a short hair, right, the reader says?

The client says "yes, he has short hair."

The reader concluded: "That's why he is not getting married, he has to grow his hair!"
Than, after a brief pause the reader adds "also he has to begin to listen to Whitesnake (rockband), that's the only way he'll get married. Otherwise, no way he is getting married."

This is serious, he (the reader) is not joking.
Unfortunately, no mistakes in translation here either...
The problem is that when i say i read Tarot, aside most enlightened and informed part of our society, which actually makes an exception - that's what the majority people think i do ...

BeyondtheVeil

Hemera said:
Thank you,I appreciate this:D On the other hand.. anyone (ab)using another language always takes certain risks.
And I suspect "100% guarantee" is practically the same thing in any language, (at least the 100% part:p).There can´t be much language difficulty there. I think that alone is something to make fun of.

I agree! :thumbsup: Native language or not, I think 100% is understood in ALL languages. I think it was funny myself. It was cute and made me think of those traveling gypsy fortune tellers.