what program to create template?

Herzog

Artwork is finished on a Majors only deck. The originals are of slightly various dimensions and I need to make them all uniform. I need a program to create a template for exact card size 2 7/8" x 4 1/8".

I am using GIMP to color correct, but cannot figure how to use this program to create templates.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

canid

I use FreeHand.

aja

Traditionally....what one would use would be a page/document layout program like Quark or InDesign.

If you had to use a drawing/coloring program (like Photoshop..or Elements) I know how I would approach it (not that I know how it applies to the program you're working with.....):
- create the template at the correct size and any common 'theme' (border, place for name, etc) on its own layer
- have a flat (1 layer) version of the image.
- copy it
- paste it onto a layer that is underneath the border layer
- resize/rescale image to 'fit' the template
- finish particular details for that card
- "Save as" the card

This may or may not work for you...but perhaps there something there you might be able to work with....

Golden Moon

AutoCAD is pretty good at working with templates. I've made my own tamplate:D.

canid

PhotoShop is an image manipulation program, pixel oriented, FreeHand & Illustrator are vector based, meant to do layouts ie pull everything together, while Quark was created for multiple-page documents. FreeHand & Illustrator are basically the same thing, I just prefer FreeHand because I've been using it since '86 & I know it inside & out. Although, working as a graphic designer for printers & using both programs, FreeHand is much easier to learn & use than Illustrator. You CAN do it in PhotoShop, but the text is NOT vector based so will be pixelated.

Herzog

Thanks for the info.