What was Arthur thinking?

Feretian

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to realize that you ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE who didn't get it?? Thanks, everyone!

( Yes, "stage design" certainly shows, but to good effect- I look at where characters are in relation to their surroundings, and Pamela does vary their positions and barriers)

fyreflye

Feretian said:
So, Fyreflye, do you think the "genius" of this deck is due more to Pamela's interpretations? Where did her inspirations come from? I know she was an educated woman, but where in her studies did she find the symbols and archetypes? She certainly put it together in a powerful manner judging by the decks' ease of use and consistently "on-target" outcomes.

As Texas Tarot points out, PCS got much of her imagery for the minors from the Mantegna deck, at that time the only deck with illustrated pip cards. As for the "symbols and archetypes," there aren't any in the minors. The occult symbolism is in the Trumps which Waite did design and gave specific instructions to PCS about.
As for Pamela's "genius," that's your word; mine was "talented." Despite Texas Tarot's demurs, PCS was already an experienced illustrator and easily turned some of the clumsy Mantegna images into more lifelike ones while using her theater experience to imagine more scenes, some of them appearing to be on a flat stage (2 of Swords, 8 of Pentacles) and even some with a proscenium arch (Queen of Pentacles, Magician.)
The huge success of the RWS comes from the fact that it was the first popularly distributed tarot with illustrated pips. Neither Waite or PCS were "geniuses;" they simply created the first divinatory deck that almost anyone could understand and use.

Rosanne

Sorry to be ol Waite Boring - but the deck that was at the Museum was the Sola Busca not the Mategna.

Waite is a hard read and I am not sure that it is worth it.
Pamela painted her deck- so she seems to have had a grasp on the concept- regardless of how much Waite put in.
It is the images that unplug your brain- not the words.
~Rosanne

fyreflye

Rosanne said:
Sorry to be ol Waite Boring - but the deck that was at the Museum was the Sola Busca not the Mategna.

That was my first recollection, too, but since my memory isn't that reliable any more I deferred to Texas Tarot. Strange, since I actually own a Lo Scarabeo version of the Sola Busca.

Texas Tarot

fyreflye said:
That was my first recollection, too, but since my memory isn't that reliable any more I deferred to Texas Tarot. Strange, since I actually own a Lo Scarabeo version of the Sola Busca.

Mistakes in my razor sharp memory? How can this be?

Sorry about that...!

Teheuti

I think Waite's book is brilliant. It's horribly written but everything in it means something. I agree that there is no need to spend the next forty years trying to figure it all out, but it can be rewarding if you are really into the deck and want to understand where Waite was coming from in terms of Masonry, Mystery religions, alchemy and mysticism (among many others).

The Minor Arcana relate to specific Grail myths and the continuation of their spiritual objective in Masonry.

Several places in his Major Arcana text he makes specific reference to the Book of Tobit or Tobias, which is part of the Catholic Bible, as he found it particularly relevant to the cards. In fact, his GD magical motto, Sacramentum Regis, comes from this work: “For it is good to hide the secrets of a king, but honorable to reveal and confess the works of God.” Etenim sacramentum regis abscondere bonum est opera autem Dei revelare et confiteri honorificum est. (Tobias 12:7). What's more he uses this quote when talking about a work known as the Triumphal Chariot of Antimony—linking both the alchemical antimony and "the secrets of a king" to the Chariot card. Antimony is the key to why the Charioteer seems fused into his chariot: "“ANTIMONY, the type hard'ning metalloid . . . has a bluish white hue; 'Tis lustrous, brittle, and easy to fuse” (J. Carrington Sellars, Chemistianity).

Furthermore, “And Tobias went forward, and the dog followed him, and he lodged the first night by the river of Tigris” (Tobias 6:1). Notice the dog in this 15th century Italian painting of the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Filippino_Lippi_016.jpg

The Archangel Raphael, angel of healing came to Tobias and to Sarah with an image reminiscent of the RWS Lovers card: “At that time the prayers of them both were heard in the sight of the glory of the most high God. And the holy angel of the Lord, Raphael was sent to heal them both, whose prayers at one time were rehearsed in the sight of the Lord” (Tobias 3:24-25). Furthermore, Raphael tells Tobias how to rid his beloved Sarah of the devil Asmodeus [link between Lovers and Devil cards].

In reference to the World card, the Book of Tobias features a promise of a restored Jerusalem (who is sometimes depicted as a woman): “Jerusalem, . . . Bless the God eternal, that he may rebuild his tabernacle in thee. . . . Thou shalt shine with a glorious light: and all the ends of the earth shall worship thee. . . . blessed shall they be that shall build thee up. . . . My soul, bless thou the Lord, because the Lord our God hath delivered Jerusalem his city from all her troubles.” (Tobias 13:11-19)

These are just a few of the hidden treasures buried deep in Waite's book and a brief look at a few of the things he was thinking.

gregory

Rosanne said:
It is the images that unplug your brain- not the words.
~Rosanne
I :love: you, Rosanne. Your way of getting EVERYTHING said in one sentence :D

ThalassaRaptor

<<I understand that he attempted to squeeze as much symbolism into each card as was comfortably possible to illustrate on such a small canvas, but why do his interpretations seem not in line with the images? What was he thinking?>>

There are certainly disconnects from what Old Uncle Arthur was describing and what Pixie was throwing on the pasteboard, and he was definitely up to a great deal in his Tarot project. However, when he turned to the divinatory aspect of the cards he lifted a lot from Etteila (who is disrespected elsewhere in the Pictorial Key, being called in one place a "wigmaker").

ThalassaRaptor

P.s.

Very cool, Tehuti, about the connexion to the Book of Tobit. I was not aware of that. Even as a child, I always loved the imagery and the stories of that book (it's in the Catholic Bible, but not the King James, interestingly enough). I think I'm due for a re-read (with Pictorial Key sitting beside me)

Umbrae

I honestly think we’re overdue for “Teheuti’s Annotated The Pictorial Key to the Tarot (Being Fragments of a Secret Tradition under the Veil of Divination) by Arthur Edward Waite Bedside Reader”. :cool2:

It is truly a joy to hear your comments…

(I’m serious! I’d buy two copies)